DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   He-Man and The Masters Of The Universe: Season 1 Vol 1 10.18.05 (merged) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/432477-he-man-masters-universe-season-1-vol-1-10-18-05-merged.html)

Cameron 07-30-05 11:19 PM

He-Man and The Masters Of The Universe: Season 1 Vol 1 10.18.05

Ok so this was announced in the thread about the best of disc, but thought it should get its own attention. If you have not picked up the best of disc yet, then run out and grab it. The documentaries will not carry over to this release. The old thread can be found at

I Have the Power! He-Man Comes to DVD This Summer/Fall

from animated bliss

He-Man and The Masters Of The Universe: Season 1 Vol 1
List Price: $49.98
Release Date: October 18, 2005
Studio: BCI Eclipse
Disk Count: 6

http://www.animatedbliss.com/images/...1-volume-1.jpg

- 33 Digitally Remastered Episodes
- 6 DVDs in a 6-Panel DigiPack
- 2 New Documentary Features
- 2 New Original Art Cards
- Variety of additional special features including: Character Profiles, Scripts, Storyboards, and more!
- 1st of 4 volumes - All 130 Episodes
- Packaging features a "spine art mural" - buy all 4 to complete the image!

ivelostr2 07-30-05 11:53 PM

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Mike Lowrey 07-31-05 11:01 AM

Some have said that just getting a taste of the show from the episodes on the "Best of" release was enough. Is that true? Would collecting the entire series be worth while?

Cameron 07-31-05 12:59 PM

I think that all will be on a person to person basis. I grew up on He Man. In a time when money was really good for my parents, and before i had younger siblings, they bought me every action figure that came out (i was only missing 4 of the original line when i sold them off a few years back). I loved it. However i had not seen it in a long time, since it had not been airing in america. I grabbed the best of disc and a flood of memories washed over me. I have been enjoying it thoroughly, and it was a definite reason to buy the season sets. However, I'm not sure Masters of the Universe is something you will be into if you don't have a background in it.

The 10 best may be all you need, but it was just enough to get me excited for the season sets.

Quack 07-31-05 01:21 PM

Being a product of the 80's, I feel that I really need to get the entire series. I have gotten 3 outta the 5 Transformers G1 sets, and 2/3 of the G.I. Joe DVD's. I just want to have all of these so my kids someday can see what made us happy when we were kids.

Mike Lowrey 07-31-05 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
I think that all will be on a person to person basis. I grew up on He Man. In a time when money was really good for my parents, and before i had younger siblings, they bought me every action figure that came out (i was only missing 4 of the original line when i sold them off a few years back). I loved it. However i had not seen it in a long time, since it had not been airing in america. I grabbed the best of disc and a flood of memories washed over me. I have been enjoying it thoroughly, and it was a definite reason to buy the season sets. However, I'm not sure Masters of the Universe is something you will be into if you don't have a background in it.

The 10 best may be all you need, but it was just enough to get me excited for the season sets.

Well, I too was a child of the early '80s. I watched the show every morning before school. Then She-Ra when it came out a few years later.

I bought those 7" mini-statues that came out recently. (I'll take some digital pics of them sometime soon.)

I've been meaning to get the Best of set, but am having a hard time deciding when. Probably sometime in Sept just before Season 1 Part 1 comes out in October. It'd be cool to have all these episodes for nostalgia reasons. I never got into the figures at the time, I was more into Star Wars then. My cousin, however, was into them and had quite a lot of them. He didn't get very manyof the Horde and Snakemen figures, but he did have most of the regular line. I remember going over to his house and playing with them alot.

LorenzoL 07-31-05 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
Some have said that just getting a taste of the show from the episodes on the "Best of" release was enough. Is that true? Would collecting the entire series be worth while?

I'm one of the people that indicated that the "Best of" release will be good enough.

I was 10 when this show was on TV and it was one of my favorites. I watched the show after school and was able to "convinced" my parents to get me most of the toys. Castle Greyskull was my favorite.

But after watching the 10 episodes, I don't think I will be able to sit through and watch the entire series. I just don't find the show "interesting" anymore and kept wondering to myself what was the appeal of this show when I was younger. Very sad moment for me. :sad:

Cameron put it best when he said that it probably will be on a person to person basis. If you haven't watched this show since the 80's, my suggestion is to pick up the "Best of" DVD and then decide whether to get the season sets. Plus even if you go ahead and buy the season sets, the extra features on the "Best of" won't be repeated on future releases.

Artman 07-31-05 03:33 PM

Not planning to get these, it just doesn't make sense for me considering A)I'd probably never make it thru all of them... much less more than once, and B) there'd be no way I'd display these on my shelf or admit to owning them. 10 Best and the Christmas special wll be good enough for the childhood memories.

If the new series ever gets released I'd be all over that - looked good from the few that I saw.

Cameron 07-31-05 09:20 PM

From TVSHOWSONDVD

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe - 'Diamond Ray' Credits Error To Be Corrected in S1; Sales of 'Best Of' Going Nicely!
Posted by David Lambert
7/31/2005

Let me tell you, we get some of the best and most interactive readers on the internet, and we appreciate them a lot! What we appreciate even more is when a studio is really responsive to consumer issues as well, and this is a perfect example of both! A couple of weeks ago, we got in a letter from one of our readers, Kevin Besner. Here's what he asked about:

Hello, I just purchased the 10 best episode collection of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe and I wanted to point out an error on the set. On the first disc for the 5 best episodes of Season 1, they wrongly used the second season's opening sequence for "Diamond Ray of Disappearance" which was the first aired episode back in 1983. It has the group shot of Man-At-Arms, Orko and the Sorceress and at the end of the sequence it shows the year as 1984. I'm hoping this is corrected for the first season box set!!! Perhaps BCI is unaware of this error and so I thought I would share this information with you since you probably have a way of contacting them directly. Thanks for your time.

Wow, good spot! I thought I noticed something strange with the opening credits sequence when I viewed that episode, but what exactly the issue was didn't strike me dead-on until I read Kevin's note. It took a bit for me to dig out a VHS copy of "Diamond Ray", and I saw that Kevin was dead-on correct. So this past week I wrote to the folks at BCI, forwarding Kevin's note and asking for some feedback. The response I got was straight and to-the-point:

It's an issue with the ER masters, but we are fixing it for the season sets. Diamond Ray will have the correct opening come October.

Now "ER" is "Entertainment Rights", and (as everyone should know by now) the issue isn't theirs, either...they got the masters that way from Hallmark. How this particular item got changed is anyone's guess. But it's good to know that BCI can take the time to fix it for the season sets! Those opening credits had that tiny bit of difference between the seasons, and while in the end it's a tiny thing, it IS the little things that make for a great experience, after all. BCI has been taking note of that all along for He-Man, and we appreciate it!

By the way, you will be happy to know that Amazon.com now has a pre-order listing for He-Man and the Masters of the Universe - Season 1, Volume 1. List price is $49.98, but you can lock it in right now for just $34.99! That's 30% off, and it qualifies for the free shipping deal Amazon's had going for a while now. Or, if for any reason you prefer DVDPlanet, they also have it up for pre-order, at just two cents more and also with free shipping.

In other news, another friend of ours - Andy Mangels, who produces the extras for the He-Man DVDs (thanks, Andy!) - has sent over a BCI press release telling us how well the sales are going on He-Man and the Masters of the Universe - Best 10 Episode Collector's Edition. Let's see what it has to say!

Navarre's BCI Announces First Week Sales on He-Man and the Masters of the Universe TV Series' DVD
Thursday July 28, 4:01 pm ET

MINNEAPOLIS, July 28 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Navarre Corporation (Nasdaq: NAVR - News), a publisher and distributor of a broad range of home entertainment and multimedia software products, today announced that its wholly-owned subsidiary, BCI Eclipse Company, LLC ("BCI"), achieved the #17 ranking on the VideoScan chart for the week ending July 17, 2005, with its He-Man and the Masters of the Universe 10 Best Episode DVD release.

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe 10 Best Episode Set, released July 12 by BCI, was the highest chart position achieved by an independent studio release during the sales week. It is also one of the best first week sales results for a BCI release in the company's history.

"Everyone at BCI is extremely pleased with the first week results," said Greg Glass, Senior Vice President at BCI. Glass continued, "The marketing plan executed by our team at BCI included broadcast, print and event media, along with solid co-op support from retail to produce the successful results we were all hoping for. With these results we look forward to the First Season / Volume One He-Man and the Masters of the Universe 6-Disc DVD box set scheduled to be released on October 18, 2005."

In total, BCI has seven more He-Man and the Masters of the Universe DVD releases scheduled for 2005 and 2006.

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe and The New Adventures of He-Man are under exclusive license to BCI for North American home video distribution from Entertainment Rights Plc, a U.K.-based media company.

Sounds great, and it makes us here at TVShowsOnDVD proud to see a release done so well, and doing so well as a result. There never was a doubt that BCI would go ahead with the season sets, but fans who wondered if He-Man was still popular enough to fly off store shelves can now rest easier knowing that this is a successful venture, and we should see everything in the long run. Hopefully that success will convince Entertainment Rights to give BCI a shot at She-Ra as soon as possible, and will also convince Mattel to let BCI do the 2002 He-Man series as well. We want it all! For now, though, we'll be happy to have the below set on October 18th:

Liquid Death 07-31-05 11:29 PM

I'm split on whether I'll buy the season sets or not - I enjoyed revisiting He-Man with the Best Of DVD, but Paul Dini raised a good point in the extras - the writers really couldn't do much with the characters, and as such, the show seems to get a bit stale (even within these "best" episodes). However, BCI is really pouring the love into the DVDs, and since they are reasonably priced, I may pick it up to show support.

Perkinsun Dzees 08-01-05 05:17 AM

Just watched the Best Of disc over the weekend. It was entertaining, but not good enough to make me want the season sets. I don't think the rewatchability factor would be very high for me.

Class316 08-01-05 09:45 AM

At a comic book convention there was a guy selling 7 DVD-Rs with the complete series for $40. Kinda tempting. But I guess the official disc is better. I'm not sure if I'll get it. Perhaps in the next DDD 20%.

wordtoyamotha 08-01-05 12:26 PM

I'll agree with Cameron that the appeal of the Season sets will probably vary from person to person. As for me, I grew up on He-Man. The show, the action figures etc. After buying and watching the 'best of' set I can safely say I will DEFINITELY be getting the season sets. First of all, I was absolutely floored by the image quality/resoration. I have never seen the He-Man episodes look this good. Second, I enjoyed the writing. Yes, the storylines are simple and somewhat predictable but I'm not expecting Memento out of an 80's cartoon (for the record I own Memento). I always thought the storylines followed a comic book formula, good vs. evil. Lastly, as others have already mentioned, we couldn't ask for better dvd treatment. The packaging and extras are more than what I would expect for an 80's cartoon.

My $0.02

Mike Lowrey 08-01-05 01:12 PM

What I want to know is how annoying is 'Orko' in these episodes after all these years?

nightwing82 08-01-05 02:55 PM

Im buying all the sets.

Cameron 08-04-05 09:40 PM

the extras...

from davisdvd

Eternia awaits! In stores on October 18th is He-Man And The Masters Of The Universe: Season One Vol. 1, a six-disc set featuring the first thirty-three episodes of the classic animated series presented in new digitally remastered fullscreen transfers.

Extras include the brand-new documentaries "The Secret Origins Of He-Man And The Masters Of The Universe" (featuring interviews with the producers, writers, directors and He-Man experts about the legal issues that led to a toy-based series and relationship between Filmation and Mattel, the development of the characters and the storylines) and "The Stories Of He-Man And the Masters Of The Universe" (focusing on the first 33 episodes of the first season). Other extras include deleted scenes, full-length animated storyboards for selected episodes, trivia and fun facts, episode scripts (via DVD-ROM) and two original 4x6 art cards by Alex Ross and Bill Sienkiewicz (how cool was he?!!). Retail for the set is $49.98. Three more volumes are in the works to complete all 130 episodes.

Cameron 09-21-05 01:10 PM

from davis dvd

He-Man & She-Ra: A Christmas Special

The holiday season comes to the magical worlds of Eternia and Etheria with He-Man & She-Ra: A Christmas Special. Available on December 6th from BCI Eclipse, the special will feature a fullscreen transfer and Dolby Digital stereo tracks. Extras will include "The Holidays and Morals of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" and "The Heroes and Villains of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" documentaries, "I Have the Power!" music video featurette, A Montage of Morals, character profiles, trivia & fun facts, two 4x6 art cards by Phil Jimenez & David Mack and the complete Christmas Special script. Retail is $19.95.

I also talked to a rep last week about when to expect more he-man. He told me that they were planning on doing another best of release for dvd...possibly before xmas. I found it a bit strange, but it seems they want to capitolize on parents who want more for the kids without making them drop fifty bucks at a time.

grim_tales 09-21-05 01:26 PM

Where does Eternia come in? In the New Adventures, He-Man would say "By the power of Eternia", in the original cartoon it was "By the power of Grayskull!"

Sorry its years since I saw either He-Man ;)
I know She-Ra was his twin sister, or something like that.

dx23 09-21-05 02:06 PM

I put up a thread on the Christmas Special a week ago.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438031

Morf 09-21-05 03:14 PM

I'm already in line. I have the POWER!!

Cameron 09-21-05 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by dx23
I put up a thread on the Christmas Special a week ago.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438031

good job...i missed that one.

reverie 09-22-05 07:09 AM

Can someone refresh my memory? There was a He-Man movie, and I believe it introduced She-Ra.. but I forget what it was called. I remember seeing it in the theatres, and getting a free comic book (unfortunately long gone :( ). Hopefully this will be one of the releases in the coming year as I'd love to get it. Outside, the only interest I have right now is in getting the "best of.." disc. But great job with these sets by those involved!

AllHallowsEve 09-22-05 07:12 AM

I used to watch this show along with it's sister show "She-Ra" religiously. lol.

It has to be around 18 years or so since I have seen it. I will have to check it out again.

Morf 09-22-05 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by reverie
Can someone refresh my memory? There was a He-Man movie, and I believe it introduced She-Ra.. but I forget what it was called.

You are thinking of "The Secret of the Sword". See http://www.he-man.org/cartoon/pop/sp...ctorscut.shtml for a trip down memory lane.

Secret of the Sword is NOT part of the BCI license. Entertainment Rights has Secret of the Sword included in the She-Ra library, which they will license out at some later date.

reverie 09-22-05 10:25 AM

Sad that it won't be in this bunch, it'd be nice if they could just continue their mural on the sets! Interesting reading about the film. But at this point in time, were I to see it again, it may as well be new since I won't remember a thing about it!