Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Any word on Mad Max SE DVD's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any word on Mad Max SE DVD's?

Road Warrior quite clearly deserves an enhanced edition, and I personally think Thunderdome does as well. It'd be great to see them released with Mad Max under one triolgy umbrella but I know rights are dived between Warner and MGM. And I'm not big on actor commentary's and I know he was lackluster on Bravehart, but considering the guy is in 95 percent of the frames of these movies, I'd love to hear Gibson's commentary, looking back now with his filmmaking background.
Old 07-30-05, 11:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too hope Road Warrior and Thunderdome get SE treatment. The Mad Max SE needs some company. It's too bad that Mad Max 4 was never made. There was some talk about making one in the mid-'90s or so when the Internet was relatively new.
Old 07-30-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
I think MM4 (working title: Fury Road) was getting ready to start up some time as recently as 2004, then after The Passion of the Christ it cooled back down again. As far as I know, I thing Gibson still wants to do this film with George Miller. Eventually.
Old 07-30-05, 12:13 PM

I'm pretty sure it was set to film somewhere in the middle east, but all the terrorism put a stop to it.
Old 07-30-05, 03:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nickofdoom
I'm pretty sure it was set to film somewhere in the middle east, but all the terrorism put a stop to it.
In the Middle East? When all the rest were filmed in the Australian outback?
Old 07-30-05, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I think MM4 (working title: Fury Road) was getting ready to start up some time as recently as 2004, then after The Passion of the Christ it cooled back down again. As far as I know, I thing Gibson still wants to do this film with George Miller. Eventually.
I know it's too much to hope for, but I for one hope that MM4 never gets made. MM3 was bad enough. It was just too polished, too smooth... it didn't have the raw edginess of the first (and to a lesser extent the 2nd).
Old 07-30-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd buy a Beyond Thunderdome SE if it was offered, but a Road Warrior SE has been one of my most wanted DVDs for years now. Warner Bros. needs to jump on that.
Old 07-30-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They were going to film it in Northern Africa, but cancelled because of security concerns related to the Iraq War.
Old 07-30-05, 08:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wannabe
They were going to film it in Northern Africa, but cancelled because of security concerns related to the Iraq War.
I ask again, what's wrong with Australia where they filmed the others?
Old 07-30-05, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
I ask again, what's wrong with Australia where they filmed the others?
$(aus)
Old 07-30-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd LOVE a SE of Roadwarrior, talk about overdue.
Old 07-31-05, 11:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wannabe
$(aus)
You're kidding, right? It's cheaper than shit to film in Australia with their terrible exchange rate. Many studios film in Vancouver due to cheaper prices, and the exchange rate is about $1 USD for $1.22 CAN. It's $1 USD for $1.32 AUS. Change that to Euro or British pound and you get an even higher difference.
Old 07-31-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You're kidding, right? It's cheaper than shit to film in Australia with their terrible exchange rate. Many studios film in Vancouver due to cheaper prices, and the exchange rate is about $1 USD for $1.22 CAN. It's $1 USD for $1.32 AUS. Change that to Euro or British pound and you get an even higher difference.
Which would cost less: filming in Australia or N Africa? Also, they might have certain set pieces in mind that already exist in N. Africa. Recreating those in Australia would add to the budget.

Last edited by Wannabe; 07-31-05 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-31-05, 01:12 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

It's the production crews that are costing more.
Old 07-31-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Exchange rates like that have no meaning - it is like measurements without units - like if someone asked how big your house was and you said, "four.' Four what?

For example, US$1 gets you around HK$7.5 - but that does not mean that you get 7.5x the buying power in Hong Kong than you do in the USA. For instance -- the average price of a Big Mac in the USA is US$3 while the average price of a Big Mac in Hong Kong is about HK$11.25. That's still a better price in HK, but not 7.5x better.

And, for what is worth, the price of a Big Mac in Australia is about AUS$2.50 which is about 18% better of a price - but not the 32% better suggested by the quoted AUS$1.32 / US$1.00 ratio.
Old 07-31-05, 01:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Exchange rates like that have no meaning - it is like measurements without units - like if someone asked how big your house was and you said, "four.' Four what?

For example, US$1 gets you around HK$7.5 - but that does not mean that you get 7.5x the buying power in Hong Kong than you do in the USA. For instance -- the average price of a Big Mac in the USA is US$3 while the average price of a Big Mac in Hong Kong is about HK$11.25. That's still a better price in HK, but not 7.5x better.

And, for what is worth, the price of a Big Mac in Australia is about AUS$2.50 which is about 18% better of a price - but not the 32% better suggested by the quoted AUS$1.32 / US$1.00 ratio.
Well OK, alright. But then again, a cup of coffee and donut in London costs about $11 USD. Which would cost about $3 in a Dunkin' Donuts here. I'm not even going with Starbucks.
Old 08-01-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well OK, alright. But then again, a cup of coffee and donut in London costs about $11 USD. Which would cost about $3 in a Dunkin' Donuts here. I'm not even going with Starbucks.
Such small potatoes in relation to what the stars make(not that they don't deserve it, honestly). And if the choice is expensive locations or cheap, and they are equal, go with the cheap. But it shouldn't stall a project. I wouldn't be shocked if enviormental regulations played a role in wanting to go to the third world countries. The movies feature a TON of gasoline explosions.
Old 08-02-05, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by sracer
I know it's too much to hope for, but I for one hope that MM4 never gets made. MM3 was bad enough. It was just too polished, too smooth... it didn't have the raw edginess of the first (and to a lesser extent the 2nd).
Although I'm in absolute agreement about Thunderdome(I liked it in the 80s, but I watched it again recently, and MAN did I think it sucked), I'd really like to see Miller and Gibson do Fury Road--just for the chance to make up for the crappy way the series went out. Sorta the reverse of my opinion about a 4th Indy Jones--they went out on a high note, so I'd rather they not do another one and chance screwing it up.

But I'd probably still buy a Thunderdome SE--just cause it's Max. But I'd DEFINITELY buy a SE of The Road Warrior--one of the most perfect movies ever made. Hell, I'd buy two.
Old 08-02-05, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Don't worry guys, I am about to buy both the sequels for my wife so sometime this month SEs will be announced.