DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   I've noticed a spine color trend.... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/432066-ive-noticed-spine-color-trend.html)

runnersdialzero 07-27-05 11:06 AM

I've noticed a spine color trend....

I have my collection by studio and then by color within the studio.

I'm starting to notice that most of my comedies have a white spine and most of my drama/action DVDs have a black spine.

Universal is the worst.

White spines include The Jerk, Happy Gilmore, Billy Madison, American Pie 1,2,3, Along Came Polly, Meet the Parents, Meet the Fockers, among others.

Black spines include Apollo 13, Carlito's Way, Jaws, Scent of A Woman, Sea of Love, Schindler's List, among others.

So do they think that purposely make most comedies white to yellow and dramas blue to black??

Saxon

Gojira69 07-27-05 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by runnersdialzero
I have my collection by studio and then by color within the studio.<snip>

Are you the same guy who wanted to know if people snap their cases shut?

Shannon Nutt 07-27-05 11:10 AM

I think it has more to do with the movie artwork/theatical poster than anything else...the question you want to be asking is why do studios promote comedies with white backgrounds and dramas with dark ones. By the time the DVDs are produced, the studios are already trapped into a certain color scheme for each title.

calhoun07 07-27-05 04:15 PM

This is the worst.thread.ever.

Artman 07-27-05 06:26 PM

This is how I'm planning to do it when I get some shelves. Gotta go with what's pleasing to the eye.

Studios will use whatever colors/artwork best suits the film. Comedy's being lighter in tone usually have bright colors and yes...white.

Mike Lowrey 07-27-05 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
This is the worst.thread.ever.

No, see the one Gojira69 aluded to.

critterdvd 07-27-05 07:21 PM

I had my DVDs in the order by Studio for about a couple days...

I've noticed that alot of Warner TV DVD shows with multiple season, usually have alot of color repitition....

Every day people come up with more and more "WTF" threads... I can't wait to see tomorrows.

Fincher Fan 07-27-05 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by hi_mom
I'm sorry...but did someone say "anal"?

You did. Twice.

TNAJason 07-27-05 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
You did. Twice.

L O L

Shap 07-27-05 09:50 PM

Actually, I think you're on to something. Of the 25 DVDs I have that are all-white spines, only 5 DVDs aren't comedies: Elephant, Fargo (kind of a comedy), The Game, Secretary, and Versus.

Joe Molotov 07-27-05 10:22 PM

The spine of Spartacus is half black and half white...does that mean it's half funny and half serious? Also it has an arm on it.

Gojira69 07-27-05 10:33 PM

The spine on the "Alien Factor" is black, red and yellow and blue-green and a touch of white, and a monster face, which is just like the movie, ....a mish mash and scary monsters. But a very enjoyable mish-mash. I think that's why the makers put a little white on it, its like they're saying, "you may be really scared of the aliens on this DVD, but give it a chance, its got its fun moments too"! I agree with that spine! :wacko:

BobB

Admiral7 07-29-05 04:38 PM

Sorted by Studio????? And then by color within the studio???????????? Is this for real? Do you really sit around and think, "Hmmm, I think I wanna watch a 20th Century Fox movie tonight and this arrangement will make it so much easier to find."????? Wow! is all I can say.

Artman 07-29-05 06:45 PM

Dude Admiral, it's all about what's aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Personally I would think a gradation of colors would look a lot better than being mixed up. But that's just me, and I don't have shelving yet to be able to organize them like I'd want.

Big Worms 07-29-05 07:01 PM

I'm starting to notice that most of my comedies have a white spine and most of my drama/action DVDs have a black spine.

Universal is the worst.

White spines include The Jerk, Happy Gilmore, Billy Madison, American Pie 1,2,3, Along Came Polly, Meet the Parents, Meet the Fockers, among others.

Black spines include Apollo 13, Carlito's Way, Jaws, Scent of A Woman, Sea of Love, Schindler's List, among others.

So do they think that purposely make most comedies white to yellow and dramas blue to black??

Saxon

If you are so bored, than just and watch some of these movies you collect instead of sorting by the way you do. ;)

ChristianB 07-29-05 07:06 PM

WOW, I wish I had as much free time as you Runnersdialzero... :)

Shagrath 07-29-05 08:34 PM

I thought about sorting by spine color at one point, because admittedly, it would look rather cool. But then I thought about how much of a pain in the ass it would be to locate a particular movie that I gave up on that idea.

Cornelius1047 07-29-05 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by ChristianB
WOW, I wish I had as much free time as you Runnersdialzero... :)

I believe it's called OCD.

I'm not that bad.

K

Mikko Rasinkangas 07-29-05 11:46 PM

I also used to sort my dvd's based on studio and a little bit based on color of the spine. I tried a full alphabetical order but it was so awful to look at since the colors and the layouts of the spines are all over the place. It was harder to find stuff from the alphabetical order than based on studio.

About a year and a half ago I started creating custom spines for all my keepcases. Now all my keepcase dvd's have a matching spine and my collection is much more easy on the eyes. Unfortunately, snappers are now even more of an eyesore.

You can see the spines here:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400842

Daniel L 07-29-05 11:51 PM

Dear lord.

nightshadebooks 07-30-05 01:54 AM

[QUOTE=Mikko RasinkangasIt was harder to find stuff from the alphabetical order than based on studio.[/QUOTE]

How does that make any sense. "I want to watch Jaws. It's under 'J', so I'll look there."

or

"I want to watch Jaws. Erm, was that Universal? Paramount? Ugh."

I have 1600 dvds, arranged alphabetically. I can find anything in seconds, using the skills I learned in kindergarten.

Mikko Rasinkangas 07-30-05 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mikko Rasinkangas
It was harder to find stuff from the alphabetical order than based on studio.

How does that make any sense. "I want to watch Jaws. It's under 'J', so I'll look there."

or

I have 1600 dvds, arranged alphabetically. I can find anything in seconds, using the skills I learned in kindergarten.
Well, I guess I shouldn't have said that finding stuff was harder... To my eyes, it just was horrible to look at.

Fincher Fan 07-30-05 06:33 AM

Bah! I sort my collection by studio, then colour, then alphabetical, then 3rd AD/runner.

Artman 07-30-05 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by nightshadebooks

That's an easy one. :)

Gojira69 07-30-05 12:09 PM

I assign each a number, print it on my Brother P-Touch, put it on the case's base, stack them all on the side with the base showing in a closet on homemade shelving and close the door.

My tapes and DVDs are not a display in my house. That would be in bad taste for me.

But everything's entered into a regularly updated database from which I print a catalog (nice, glossy, booklet) so I can find them easy. If I want to see ANYTHING I've got it spinning up in less than 2 minutes.

Random access is your friend. Learn to love it.

BobB