Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

One and only Star Wars Ep. III thread [merger of a couple of different threads]

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aint-it-cool-news has a few more where that came from.
Old 09-28-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The best Star Wars thing to come out in years was the Musical Journey DVD. Really.
Old 09-28-05, 03:13 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Cameron
The centerpiece of the two-disc set will be "Within a Minute," a newly produced documentary that delves into the complexity of creating a single 49-second sequence from the film.
Does anyone know which sequence of the film they are talking about here?
Old 09-28-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd be willing to bet it's the opening shot as it's definately at least that length (and it's unlikely any other single shot is that long). The actors are featured in the shot as well as tons of special effects.
Old 09-28-05, 05:20 PM
Cool New Member

The 49 seconds is a scene from the duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan. Which scene that is, isn't known yet.
Old 09-28-05, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally Posted by Ketamine

Aint-it-cool-news has a few more where that came from.
Wow! Are those from the deleted scenes section or have these scenes been edited back into the film proper for the DVD release?
Old 09-28-05, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
someone needs to post these pics in the star wars thread in movies...like the good old days when star wars movies were still on the horizon
Old 09-28-05, 10:44 PM

Cameron the star wars thread is gone. It got merged in with movies. If I am thinking what about what you are thinking.
Old 09-28-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yah the subforum is long gone...but the thread is still around.
Old 09-28-05, 10:58 PM

So we were thinking separate things. My bad.
Old 09-29-05, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
From what I can make out, the content of the first bullet is, R2-D2 & C-3P0's chronicles of Luke and Anakin Skywalker.

The second bulllet says, Almost ?? minutes of additional content. Can't tell what the number is. Anyone's guess.

As for where to purchase, I want to see what Best Buy is offering before I make a final decision. But I have a tradition with Best Buy, and even though this bonus disc looks cool, and is tempting, Wal-Mart is by no means my shop of choice. Not for things like this. I'll see.

Looking more and more like a boxed set of all three prequels is not going to happen. No biggie, though. I wanted that at one point, but now that some copies of The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones come in one kind of case, while others come in a somewhat differing style, I would prefer to look over each case to make sure all three are consistent. Can't do that if they're sealed together in a box.

--THX
Over on HTF, someone noticed that the content for the Wal-Mart bonus DVD may be similar to this Hasbro VideoNow series.

Here's what that site quotes:
The amazing Star Wars movies have reached generations. Now VIDEONOW gives you this incredible three-pack of PVDs about two of its greatest characters: Luke Skywalker and Anakin Skywalker. Narrated by R2-D2 and C-3PO, these discs unfold the story behind both trilogies, and a third disc gives you exclusive behind-the-scenes footage of Jedi and Sith battle styles, lightsaber dueling techniques, incredible stunts and more!

Disc one contains “The Story of Luke Skywalker.”
Disc two contains “The Story of Anakin Skywalker.”
Disc three contains “Behind the Scenes of Star Wars.”
Old 09-29-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ah, good investigation! Yep, that looks like a match.

Now we just have to find someone who has that stupid Hasbro video system to post a review!
Old 10-02-05, 05:54 AM
Banned

The Hasbro videos are NOT an hour. So this doesn't solve anything.

This, however, does:
For people hoping that Best Buy will get an exclusive disc as well, they're not getting a disc.
They're getting this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1115365335530
Old 10-02-05, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by chanster
The best Star Wars thing to come out in years was the Musical Journey DVD. Really.
The main problem I have with that DVD is that, for something that's trying to encapsulate the entire saga, there's way too little coverage given to Episode III. Now, I know the reason for that--it came out before the movie, so they didn't want to spoil the key moments--but it's still disappointing, and feels awfully incomplete and unbalanced.

I understand that they wanted to include the DVD with the soundtrack to help sell more soundtracks (I wonder how many people bought the soundtrack just for the DVD, that otherwise wouldn't have), but I wish they would have held off on releasing it then. They could have added more Episode III content, and released it this fall as a bonus disc with any of the new releases. It would have been a perfect bonus disc for the new original trilogy box, actually (man, how pissed would everybody have been about that?!).

Maybe we'll see it again, someday, perhaps with the much-rumored complete saga set or something, but I doubt they'd go to the trouble to insert more Episode III footage back into it.

Oh well.
Old 10-02-05, 07:04 AM
Banned

Virex,

True...BUT...there weren't any other "main themes" that they would have to draw from. If you look at all the tracks on it, they are suites from each film. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending) there weren't as many main themes created for each film and those that did were given their own "music video." Can't draw from a dry well.

That said, I also wish the material was presented better. Although it's 16x9, it's not progressively encoded so there are all sorts of artifacts when playing back.
Old 10-02-05, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc

This, however, does:
For people hoping that Best Buy will get an exclusive disc as well, they're not getting a disc.

Yikes...that thing is UGLY.
Old 10-02-05, 08:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Zodo
Yikes...that thing is UGLY.
They actually seem pretty cool.

I believe they've done them for all the movie posters. Empire sold out immediately.
Old 10-02-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

there weren't any other "main themes" that they would have to draw from. If you look at all the tracks on it, they are suites from each film. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending) there weren't as many main themes created for each film and those that did were given their own "music video." Can't draw from a dry well.
That's a good point.

I guess I'm looking at it more from a visual standpoint, and less from a musical one, which might be my problem, given the title. All I know is, when I watched it, I saw all kinds of time spent on Episodes I and II, and then maybe six or seven minutes total of Episode III stuff--and most of that was footage we had already seen in one of the trailers.

The disc was supposed to cover the entire saga, but the best (and most important) film of the prequel trilogy was barely touched on. Kind of kills any rewatch value for me. It'd be kind of like doing a really nice career retrospective of, say, Pink Floyd, and then just giving a passing mention to Dark Side of the Moon, you know? Oh, wait. . .

Anyway. . .

I love the idea behind the disc. I just don't care for the execution. If they had just waited to release it, it would have really been something special, in terms of both content and presentation.

Last edited by Matt; 10-02-05 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-02-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This, however, does:
This isn't the kind of extra one gets for buying Revenge of the Sith, though. I'm still expecting a freebie, possibly the afore-speculated lithograph. Even if this was a Best Buy exclusive that you could buy only with a copy of Sith, it wouldn't pull me away from Wal-Mart in the least. A 60-minute documentary cannot be beat. Or, I should say, it has yet to be.

--THX
Old 10-03-05, 10:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
This isn't the kind of extra one gets for buying Revenge of the Sith, though. I'm still expecting a freebie, possibly the afore-speculated lithograph. Even if this was a Best Buy exclusive that you could buy only with a copy of Sith, it wouldn't pull me away from Wal-Mart in the least. A 60-minute documentary cannot be beat. Or, I should say, it has yet to be.

--THX
That's nice and all but I DOUBT Best Buy is going to get two exclusives on this. Wal-mart will be it.
Old 10-03-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
This, however, does:
That is HORRENDOUS!!!
Old 10-03-05, 01:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by steebo777
That is HORRENDOUS!!!
Guess you haven't seen this yet?
http://www.code3.net/starwars/

Obviously SOMEONE likes them. They're all sold out.
Old 10-03-05, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's a neat idea I guess...but they ALL look pretty bad to me. The company needs to get another artist for the faces big time.
Old 10-07-05, 06:08 AM
Banned

Looks like they're getting another exclusive...and no, it's not a bonus disc. Seriously, give it up, guys

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1118839979702
Old 10-07-05, 08:39 AM

I see the words C3P0 and R2D2 and anakin. It's probably the intros from FOX that someone else mentioned. Problem is that this isn't really the "story of Star Wars" unless they did another one for ROTS and are adding that on.
This intro is called "Star Wars Connections" and was only released on the Episode II vhs tape and not on DVD, so it would be nice if they included this as an extra on this bonus dvd. Not only was this shown on Fox, but an edited version of this was also aired on Wal-Marts instore televison network.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.