DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   3rd Rock - Best Buy bonus disc? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/431889-3rd-rock-best-buy-bonus-disc.html)

JohnBeas 07-26-05 09:51 AM

3rd Rock - Best Buy bonus disc?

I've just picked up the first season of 3rd Rock From The Sun at Best Buy. The package says "Best Buy Exclusive: Extended Bloopers & Dicks Best Outtakes". Theres no extra disc in the box (as I assumed there would be as it was not on the outside of the package). Now on disc 4 theres an extra called "Best Of Dick" and another labelled "Bloopers" (which run 11") - are these the BB exclusives? I haven't checked the other discs for extras. Did anyone get a bonus disc?

runner001 07-26-05 12:14 PM

I'm going to take a trip to BB today, but usually when they advertise "on pack exclusive" they are usually shrink wrapped together (outside the factory seal), not inside the package.

Liquid Death 07-26-05 12:40 PM

At BB, the package said something about Bonus Disc included, but I didn't see it attached or under the shrinkwrap - I was just there for the ad, tho. I did buy it at Wal-Mart, and I guess I got one that doesn't talk. Oh well.

fitzcain 07-26-05 02:06 PM

I just picked this up too, from best buy, got the talking version, didnt want to take a chance on it including something else that isnt in the non-talking one.......starting to wonder about their "exclusive" content....I think that word doesnt mean what it used to mean.....sky captain at walmart says exclusive bonus disc included, and i believe it is the same disc that was a freebie at best buy before it came out....not 100% sure though.....
do any of the reviews state the extras? and best buy is just trying to get sales by saying exclusive?
I saw the galactica set, and the bonus extras are a look at serinity, and some deleted scenes. The us version will be much better a release, and worth paying extra for, i think.

Tracer 07-26-05 02:06 PM

This is an Anchor Bay release, the Xena Best Buy Exclusives just had the extra content as part of the DVD set not a separate DVD in a paper seleve. (That is except for Season 1 Xena which the bonus DVD was in a paper seleve)

Found this post at InterVocative site

The Best Buy addition has a few extra minutes of Bloopers and Dick's Best Outtakes incorporated into Disc 4. The outer plastic shrinkwrap (not the case) has a sticker with a different UPC (1313137639) from that on the Box. The UPC on the Box (1313132879) is the same as the regular edition.

JustInsane 07-26-05 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by fitzcain
tarting to wonder about their "exclusive" content....I think that word doesnt mean what it used to mean.....sky captain at walmart says exclusive bonus disc included, and i believe it is the same disc that was a freebie at best buy before it came out....not 100% sure though.....

No, the WalMart disc was very different from the Best Buy disc.

fitzcain 07-26-05 03:11 PM

No, the WalMart disc was very different from the Best Buy disc
ok, was off on that one, I guess. bad choice. I am just starting to wonder about the "exclusivity".....remarks that best buy makes, is all.
I think we got an answer for 3rd rock though....similiar to xena, i guess.

JohnBeas 07-26-05 05:24 PM

Thanks for everyones answer. My UPC (on the outer wrapper) does match what Tracer lists so I'll have to assume the bonus content is on the discs themselves. I'd be interested to compare menus to the standard release.

Ravenous 07-27-05 01:35 AM

Question

How do you know which is the one that talk and which isnt? Does it come in two different forms or the ones that dont talk, are they broken?

I want to get this but not for the stupid prices its on sale for. I planned on just ordering it from DDD eventually; but I want the one that talks.

Brooklyn 07-27-05 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Question

How do you know which is the one that talk and which isnt? Does it come in two different forms or the ones that dont talk, are they broken?

I've only seen the ones that talk. Each had an oval sticker that exclaimed
"Press Here! Our DVD talks!". There is also a hollow panel in the front of the
outer case (to house the speaker). You can tell by looking at the side you
slide the discs out by. The hollow panel looks like the binding of a thick
booklet sitting atop the foldout.

runner001 07-27-05 08:11 PM

Didn't get to BBY until today. I looked and it doesn't appear that any of the DVD sets had anything additional on it as it says "on pack" in the ad. Additionally, some of the sets had the "press here! Our DVD talks!" sticker while others did not. I pressed where indicated and it did not talk. Does this feature need to be activated by the purchaser?
My conclusion on this "Best Buy Exclusive bonus DVD" is that there probably isn't one. If there is nothing extra attached to it, I don't see how it could be already included inside the sets.

too much 07-27-05 09:31 PM

You have to press pretty hard on the box to activate it. The bonus features are just exclusive features on the 4th disc. If you buy the set at another store you just miss on 3 extra features (bloopers, best of dick and a text extra).

runner001 07-27-05 09:34 PM

so you're saying that the studios manufactured sets and printed up discs just to sell at Best Buy? they printed up two versions to sell? I don't see any markings to indicate it being from best buy versus it being from another store.

too much 07-27-05 10:04 PM

well, best buy did do a pretty big promotion on it this week. I've read in other forums about other anchor bay dvd's having extras exclusive to best buy (not on the traditional "bonus" disc). Strange new way of giving bonus content.

Jah-Wren Ryel 07-28-05 12:06 AM

It's definitely not "giving bonus content" it is really price-support for Best Buy. Giving them a monopoly on distribution means that they don't have any competition.

too much 07-28-05 08:58 AM

Seems like Best Buy gets the best of both worlds this week. Best price (that I could find) and some extra content (not super exciting stuff). I'm not saying this is a good thing for competition, but I'll take lowest price and more stuff any day.

ianholm 07-28-05 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by too much
Seems like Best Buy gets the best of both worlds this week. Best price (that I could find) and some extra content (not super exciting stuff). I'm not saying this is a good thing for competition, but I'll take lowest price and more stuff any day.

:up:

Tim Elliott 07-30-05 08:51 PM

I got the set at Best Buy (non talking version) but didn't get a book. All that was in the "folder slot" was an ad for 3 TV on DVD sets.

Anyone else not get the "16 page collectable booklet"?

Tim

Sabrett 07-30-05 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tim Elliott
I got the set at Best Buy (non talking version) but didn't get a book. All that was in the "folder slot" was an ad for 3 TV on DVD sets.

Anyone else not get the "16 page collectable booklet"?

Tim

Mine has the sticker that it's supposed to talk, but it doesn't (only one of them talked when I was at Best Buy) and I got the booklet. Every one that I've seen has the sticker that it's supposed to talk, but most of them don't. I would take it back and tell them that it was missing the book.

Liquid Death 07-31-05 09:56 AM

Mine doesn't talk either - didn't bother to check in the store - but I don't think its worth an exchange. Mine had the booklet & ad, but it wasn't in the folder, it was between the voice panel and the digipak with the discs.

Deathstalker II 07-31-05 06:06 PM

I got the Best Buy one (reward zone members get it for $19.99), and it has the 16-pg booklet, exclusive extras on disc 4 and the box talks. The talking is just one Dick line, "I find you hopeless, judgemental, and completely self-absorbed...would you be my friend?" so I'd say that's no big deal, and it took me a while to find the right spot to press to make it work. The booklet's kinda fun, though.

As far as exclusive extras go, Best Buy has some sweet deal with Anchor Bay, as all of their Hercules, Xena, and Highlander box sets feature exclusive content within the actual sets themselves. The outer boxes even have a printed banner right along the top front cover that states so specifically. I have all of the Hercs and Xenas, but somehow NONE of the Highlanders...not sure how I managed that.

Eric D. 07-31-05 09:45 PM

I just don't see why its so hard to believe that Anchor Bay puts their "Best Buy Exclusive" material ON the actual DVD itself. People, this is what Anchor Bay has done the majority of the time for Best Buy! Like others have said with Highlander, Hercules and Xena (except for S1), Anchor Bay also did this for their Malevolence "Bonus Content". Just because you didn't get an extra disc in a paper sleeve, does not mean you got screwed. All you have to do is read the stickers on the plastic of the box to determine which ones have the extra content, and which ones do not. It's not that difficult.

And for the record, I too got the booklet, and my box also talks. You just have to press it pretty hard to get it to work in my case.

yeldarb367 07-31-05 10:38 PM

I didn't get a book and it doesn't talk. Is Best Buy cooperative in situations like this? Seems like they might try and accuse me of flat out losing it or something. Hopefully they will just let me open another one right in front of them.

Eric D. 08-01-05 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by yeldarb367
I didn't get a book and it doesn't talk. Is Best Buy cooperative in situations like this? Seems like they might try and accuse me of flat out losing it or something. Hopefully they will just let me open another one right in front of them.

If I were you, I would just tell them that it was defective and ask to exchange for a new one. I'm not sure if your Best Buy will see returning for a booklet and a soundchip as a valid reason for exchange. I know that the people who work at my Best Buy are not too flexiable, and not really that knowledgable and appreciative of films or collecting. They even give me problems when something truly is defective. But anyways I hope you have a nicer staff, good luck.

Deathstalker II 08-01-05 01:41 PM

As long as you have the receipt, they have no reason to give you a hard time. Just tell them you didn't get the booklet, POINT OUT THE FEATURE LIST ON THE BACK that specifically states "includes 16-page Collector's Booklet," then ask for another one that has it. They will open it before you leave because your return was open, so you will know if the book is there.

If you are given a hard time, immediately ask to talk to a supervisor and give 'em the third degree. You're a paying customer with a receipt. If you didn't have a receipt, you have far less credibility.

dollfins1 08-01-05 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Liquid Death
Mine doesn't talk either - didn't bother to check in the store - but I don't think its worth an exchange. Mine had the booklet & ad, but it wasn't in the folder, it was between the voice panel and the digipak with the discs.

try pressing right by jane curtains knees. thats where the talking mechanism is on mine. took a while to find it without damaging the box.

sman113 08-01-05 03:16 PM

Best Buy has always been pretty cooperative when i exchanged an open DVD b/c it was missing something. Its happened twice where i bought a movie that said it came with a movie ticket for something, but there was none in the box. With Xmen 1.5, the manager had to open three of them before he found with with the ticket for X2 (all had stickers saying a ticket was included). I guess they could have been dicks about it and said i must be tryign to screw them and get two tickets, but they were very helpful.

dvd-fanman 08-01-05 06:00 PM

The 3rd Rock Boxes that have the talking chips in them are thicker than the regular boxes. Turn the box to the side if you see about a 1 inch "box" to the left of the compartment that holds the DVD (when you are able to take the DVDs out of the box when it is facing you) then you have a chip version. If not, you don't. You should also have a sticker on the box that says, "I talk" or something to that effect. I found only 2 sets that talked and had the Bonus content at the BB I went to last Saturday.

yeldarb367 08-01-05 07:03 PM

I went to exchange my bookletless copy today and was told that the entire batch at my Best Buy came without them. Apparentely several people came in with the same problem. They said it was a manufacturer's defect and that I should just try back in a week or two, once the current batch has been sold. Any chance I could contact Anchor Bay and have them send me the booklet? That seems reasonable since the problem is widespread.

Eric D. 08-02-05 12:23 AM

I went to exchange my bookletless copy today and was told that the entire batch at my Best Buy came without them. Apparentely several people came in with the same problem. They said it was a manufacturer's defect and that I should just try back in a week or two, once the current batch has been sold. Any chance I could contact Anchor Bay and have them send me the booklet? That seems reasonable since the problem is widespread.

If it's that widespread, then I say go for it. Anchor Bay has always been really cool about returns in my experience, (I have done it about 4 times), and they never gave me a difficult time.

calhoun07 08-05-05 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by dvd-fanman
The 3rd Rock Boxes that have the talking chips in them are thicker than the regular boxes. Turn the box to the side if you see about a 1 inch "box" to the left of the compartment that holds the DVD (when you are able to take the DVDs out of the box when it is facing you) then you have a chip version. If not, you don't. You should also have a sticker on the box that says, "I talk" or something to that effect. I found only 2 sets that talked and had the Bonus content at the BB I went to last Saturday.

My set has a sticker that says it talks, but it does not. It's not a deal breaker for me, but if I have a defective box, I'd like a replacement. Do all the sets with the sticker have this chip>

stardork13 08-09-05 12:34 AM

My set I got at Best Buy did not include a booklet, and it does not talk. I didn't even know that any of them talked and it didn't say it talked, so I don't have a problem about that. I just e-mailed Anchor Bay earlier today about the booklet and am hoping for a reply soon.

darmok 08-11-05 02:54 PM

stardork, any reply from anchorbay yet? i'm in the same boat.

stardork13 08-11-05 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by darmok
stardork, any reply from anchorbay yet? i'm in the same boat.

Not yet. It said for a reply "2-4 days, depending on amount of e-mail traffic." Its day 3, so hopefully a reply by tomorrow.

stardork13 08-15-05 01:46 PM

To darmok and anyone else with the same problem.
I just got an e-mai from anchorbay today:

"Hello,

We at Anchor Bay entertainment sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced. We would like to replace your copy as soon as possible. In order to do so we will need you home address.
"

So just e-mail anchorbay if your booklet was missing too and probably include your home address. Hope that helps some people out!

darmok 08-15-05 02:33 PM

hi stardork, thanks for the update! but does the booklet include the talking chip? i ask because my copy from bestbuy does not talk (no matter how hard i try to press all over the box), and i haven't opened it up yet for fear of not being able to exchange it.

stardork13 08-15-05 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by darmok
hi stardork, thanks for the update! but does the booklet include the talking chip? i ask because my copy from bestbuy does not talk (no matter how hard i try to press all over the box), and i haven't opened it up yet for fear of not being able to exchange it.

I don't know if it comes with the talking chip. I didn't ask them about it because mine didn't talk (it didn't have a sticker or anything). My box set didn't come with the talking chip. I didn't even know that any of them talked untill it was mentioned here. I guess you could tell them that yours was supposed to talk, but it doesn't. I don't know. Sorry.

stardork13 08-20-05 06:27 PM

Got the booklet in the mail yesterday. So it didn't take long at all. It came in a yellow envelope with only the booklet. It did not come with a soundchip or anything else.