DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   What are your favorite/the best DVDs about wildlife: Sharks, etc...? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/431631-what-your-favorite-best-dvds-about-wildlife-sharks-etc.html)

Brent L 07-23-05 07:36 PM

What are your favorite/the best DVDs about wildlife: Sharks, etc...?

I just picked up the new Anatomy Of A Shark Bite DVD, and it seems to be pretty solid in my eyes, and the review here at DVDTalk also speaks highly of it.

I'm not talking about actual movies, just more stuff like this one. Not just about sharks either (I do want more about sharks though), it can be about any wildlife.

harpo787 07-23-05 09:24 PM

Those who watch nature show type programming always have their favorite nature show hosts, and for me the greatest has been David Attenborough.

I've only just started trying to hunt down his stuff on DVD, and so far I've only found one in the B&M stores...Life of Mammals Vol. 1

I couldn't recall which of his DVDs I'd gotten, and in searching over at Amazon, I realized that there was more than one volume of what I've got! Here's the link to that. I'm sure there's more to find as well, like Blue Planet.

Oh yeah, in looking upstairs at the collection I realized I have one other nature show type DVD called "Walking with Dinosaurs", which was amazing, but obviously very different than a typical nature show in the sense of no "real footage". I also notice now that both of these DVDS are by the BBC, so I'd have to say that they do pretty damn good nature show DVDs.

Let's hear of other great hosts (of course, none as great as Mr. Attenborough)!

Brent L 07-23-05 09:27 PM

Oh yeah, I have Walking with Dinosaurs and I think it's just fantastic. What are all of the other DVDs in that line? I'd love to pick up all of those. I'll check out what you suggested also.

mike45 07-23-05 09:32 PM

Blue Planet

Maxflier 07-23-05 09:45 PM

Check out Winged Migration,great stuff. :thumbsup:

Al_Tahoe 07-23-05 09:48 PM

Harpo787 hit the nail on the head. Everything done by David Attenborough is top-shelf! I have Blue Planet, The Life of Birds, The Life of Mammals, and The Living Planet. All of those are 'Attenborough' and highly recommended (though, to be fair, the transfer on Life of Birds is not the greatest.). Two more Attenborough series to keep an eye out for are Life on Earth and Trials of Life - neither of which has yet been released on DVD.

As far as 'non-Attenborough', I particularly liked Alaska - Spirit of the Wild (IMAX).

Al_Tahoe 07-23-05 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
Oh yeah, I have Walking with Dinosaurs and I think it's just fantastic. What are all of the other DVDs in that line? I'd love to pick up all of those. I'll check out what you suggested also.

If you liked Walking with Dinosaurs (and so did I :) ), I highly recommend the following:

Allosaurus - A Walking with Dinosaurs Special
Chased by Dinosaurs
Dragons World: A Fantasy Made Real
Walking with Prehistoric Beasts

There is also Walking with Cavemen, though I personally didn't like it as much as the others.

mzupeman2 07-24-05 01:13 PM

I personally have the 'Walking With Dinosaurs' box set and it is wonderful. Also 'Life With Mammals' and 'Blue Planet' are absolutely amazing as well.

buckee1 07-24-05 07:19 PM

Here's another vote for <b>Blue Planet</b> and the series immediately following it <b>The Life of Mammals</b>! Really great Stuff!

johnbook 07-24-05 10:15 PM

I know it's a movie but i will mention it anyway cuz i love this movie for everything that it is,

The Bear

dmvksv 07-25-05 04:38 AM

I second The Bear. Great story, great scenery, great movie. The dvd is pretty cheap ,too.

Al_Tahoe 07-25-05 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by dmvksv
I second The Bear. Great story, great scenery, great movie. The dvd is pretty cheap ,too.

I agree with those that have recommended The Bear. One word of warning though... the current release of The Bear is a full-screen only version. So I would recommend buying it off of eBay, Half.com, etc. to get the original dual-sided anamorphic widescreen/full-screen version. This is definitely a movie that you'll want to watch in widescreen.

Shagrath 07-25-05 06:04 AM

I'll just put in another good word for Blue Planet. It's an excellent set, and any fan of nature documentaries should see it.

I also just got Animals Are Beautiful People, and while I think some of it is fabricated, it's still a beautifully shot and fun documentary.

saoirse 07-25-05 06:20 AM

Africa: The Serengetti (Imax)

dhmac 07-25-05 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
Harpo787 hit the nail on the head. Everything done by David Attenborough is top-shelf! I have Blue Planet, The Life of Birds, The Life of Mammals, and The Living Planet. All of those are 'Attenborough' and highly recommended (though, to be fair, the transfer on Life of Birds is not the greatest.). Two more Attenborough series to keep an eye out for are Life on Earth and Trials of Life - neither of which has yet been released on DVD.

All great programs - although I'll add that Blue Planet: Seas of Life is the full title of that documentary (probably to distinguish it from the unrelated "Blue Planet" IMAX title).

Also The Private Life of Plants is another great Attenborough documentary that's not on DVD yet. Pretty fascinating stuff to see how plants compete against each other almost like animals do.

wordtoyamotha 07-25-05 10:10 AM

Jane Goodall's Wild Chimpanzees (Imax)

I believe it was even voted top 5 audio tracks by this site.

Perkinsun Dzees 07-25-05 03:14 PM

My vote goes to WALKING WITH DINOSAURS.

RichDB10 08-04-05 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe

Couldn't agree more..although if you are region free Life On Earth/Trials Of Life are available.

If you happen to be region free i suggest the following quickly off the top of my head :-

Wild Down Under (R2 UK)
Andes To The Amazon (R2 UK)

and look out for the R1 release of 'March Of The Penguins' :-

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0428803/

Just received my R2 France edition (No subs!!) though a R1 is bound to appear shortly.