DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Charlie & the Chocolate Factory 2 Disc (Info from Survey) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/431546-charlie-chocolate-factory-2-disc-info-survey.html)

The Valeyard 07-23-05 01:05 AM

Charlie & the Chocolate Factory 2 Disc (Info from Survey)

My wife was asked to take a survey today from a marketing company. The questions were VERY Charlie and the Chocolate Factory oriented.

Here's the one that got my attention:

In addition to the regular DVD of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", a special 2-disc version of the movie will be coming out at the same time. This 2-disc version will include additional special features not included with the regular DVD, including behind-the-scenes footage, movie commentary, a BBC special on the life of Roald Dahl, and a demo of the "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" videogame. If this 2-disc version is sold at places where you (or people you know) normally shop, how interested are you in buying (or having someone buy for you) a NEW 2-disc version of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" at a price of $22.95 within the first month after it comes out?

Andrew

Fincher Fan 07-23-05 01:55 AM

Sounds good! I'm particulary interested in the life on Roald Dahl featurette. Good price, too.

slowcloud 07-23-05 07:35 AM

Doesn't necessarily mean it will come out in these forms-- that's what the survey's for: to gauge the interest in the marketability of this stuff.

Skoobooz 07-23-05 08:38 AM

I hope that uninterested survey-takers don't keep me from having a nice two-disc set of this movie....

critterdvd 07-23-05 03:36 PM

why do companies release more than one version of a movie with the first dvd? Why not just release the 2-disc set and forget about the 1-disc version. It just pisses me off because usually eventhough the MSRP of the 2-disc is $2-5 more, but the store usually charge about $7-10 more for the 2-disc than the 1-disc, and that's if you can actually find the 2-disc version.

Artman 07-23-05 05:05 PM

Sounds similar to what WB's doing with The Polar Express DVD. Yeah it kinda sucks when two versions are released, but I'd rather pay more for a quality two-disc than get a watered down version or none at all.

Rogue588 07-23-05 09:55 PM

Well I agree with the whole forget the watered down version, but it could be worse...they could release the watered down version first.

Then a quality set somewhere down the line..

Disc-Flipper 07-23-05 10:10 PM

They need to make 5 different collectible cover versions, for each of the children who visited the factory - to please the Reservoir Dogs buyers.

The cases should be brown plastic, and shaped like a chocolate bar, with a slip cover which looks like the Wonka Bar wrapper.

They also need to hide Golden Tickets in some of the DVD cases with huge cash prizes and other goodies.

acostigan 07-23-05 11:46 PM

I haven't picked it up yet, but I thought I saw both a single disc and a 2-discer for Lemony Snicket at Wal-Mart. While my "extras" viewing is pretty limited, I usually try to pick up the most "complete" version (as with Life Aquatic). However, I've never pursued "collector's editions" that contain, for lack of a better word, toys or novelties.

-AC

Skoobooz 07-24-05 08:08 AM

I had no problem with what WB did with, say, Phantom of the Opera, where it had the single disc widescreen and fullscreen editions and then the two-disc edition on the same day. It caters to all buyers, and it's far more honest than what Fox does with their double dips (or Sony). I hope that's the case here. Although it does seem somewhat unnecessary to have two different editions, I'd rather have two different editions than one single disc, bare bones edition.

Perkinsun Dzees 07-24-05 04:36 PM

They better release that 2-disc set because I ain't buying no barebones version now.

The Monkees 07-24-05 05:13 PM

This would be nice, loved the movie

And I'm sure we can expect the same boring commentary by Tim Burton

Skoobooz 07-24-05 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by The Monkees
And I'm sure we can expect the same boring commentary by Tim Burton

He's been doing a little better since teaming up with guests (like on Big Fish) and when he's specifically asked questions (like Planet of the Apes).