DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Ren and Stimpy Ultimate Boxset: November 8th

Old 07-22-05, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ren and Stimpy Ultimate Boxset: November 8th

Sure to further fan the fires of righteous indignation, the rumored Ren and Stimpy box set is coming out on November 8th. From TVShowsOnDVD.com:

"It seems Spike and Paramount are planning to release an "Ultimate" box set for The Ren & Stimpy Show. This set will contain:

* The 1990-1991 SPUMCO series
* The 1992-1994 series
* The 2002 John K Series

The packaging mentions the following extras:

* Interviews
Meet some of the top Spumco artists!
* Animatics
See previews of these future Ren and Stimpy specials! ("George Liquor's Wilderness Adventure" and "Life Sucks!")
* He Hog The Atomic Pig pilot
See a cartoon so funny that every network in town refuses to give it to you!
* Magic Fun Booklet!
Filled with artist profiles, drawing info and thrilling trivia and activities!

This information came from packaging posted to the The Members of the Loyal Order of Stupids website, in a thread which has since been taken down. Thankfully, one of the members there posted the artwork to his site so you can get a glimpse at the early artwork.

The package notes "The 1990-1991 SPUMCO series. John K. Classics! Actually Uncensored this time!!" which makes it sound as though they'll add the missing footage from the first set back into the episodes.

We spoke with our friends at Paramount and were told they'll release the set on November 8. Of course that date may move (it hasn't been announced yet), but that's where it's placed now."

Personally, I won't be buying this, but there you go.
Old 07-22-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll probably get this, if the price is right. I was upset the original releases weren't uncut and they had the nerve to put the word "uncut" on the box.
Old 07-22-05, 10:57 PM

WOW this would be so cool if this is true,that first set unrated for real would be great..
Old 07-23-05, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its a shame it includes the 92-94 series

It's a crime that it includes the 2002 series which has no right to be included with the orginial series.

I'm happy with the set i have and i refuse to pay money for that shit 2002 series that has made me forever dislike John K.
Old 07-23-05, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Still can't fathom how cut releases get out the door with "uncut" on the packaging, but that's beyond me.

I waffled on the current packages for a while, glad I held out. The only thing I've had is the old laserdisc.
Old 07-23-05, 09:38 AM
xia

i love ren and stimpy, but undecided if I'll get this. Dont want to double dip and all that.
Old 07-24-05, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
The package notes "The 1990-1991 SPUMCO series. John K. Classics! Actually Uncensored this time!!" which makes it sound as though they'll add the missing footage from the first set back into the episodes.
Which John K. swore wasn't actually missing or cut as they personally supervised all the restored cuts right? I'm starting to understand why he had so much trouble with the studio.
Old 07-24-05, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope this is true, but I ain't holding my breath.

I bought the first set, but have held off so far on getting the second... Won't now. I guess I'll bypass the third as well, in anticipation of this mega box.
Old 08-02-05, 05:13 PM
Suspended

Meh, think I'll just stay with the 1st and 2nd Seasons, and possibly get Adult Cartoon Party upon release.
Old 08-02-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This really depends on the price for me...

I would be very happy to get the original episodes actually uncut, but I don't care one way or the other about the later episodes and I'd be frankly embarrased to own the crap that is the Spike TV incarnation.

But, if the price is right, I'd grab it just to get decent quality DVDs of the first couple of years.
Old 08-02-05, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While it sucked the originals still had a few missing bits there is no way in hell I pay money for the later series especially that 2002 abortion.

The fact John K fucked up the first set of his own freaking show is reason enough for me to not send another dime his way.

Send me replacement discs for the first set, don't make me buy a whole new, more expensive set to fix your mistakes. Assholes.
Old 08-02-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by darkside
While it sucked the originals still had a few missing bits there is no way in hell I pay money for the later series especially that 2002 abortion.

The fact John K fucked up the first set of his own freaking show is reason enough for me to not send another dime his way.

Send me replacement discs for the first set, don't make me buy a whole new, more expensive set to fix your mistakes. Assholes.
I agree with you here. Just send me the replacement discs with the "uncut" episodes.
Old 10-06-05, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is this still coming out?
Old 10-06-05, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by xfilekr
Is this still coming out?
I'm sure it is, but probably not until the new series gets released first. After that happens, they can package them all together in this ultimate set.
Old 10-06-05, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I agree with you here. Just send me the replacement discs with the "uncut" episodes.
If only they would do this instead of bilking us.
Old 10-06-05, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No way will I lay down money for that piece of shit series that was on Spike TV.

As others have said, if the new set really does have uncensored eps, just send me those. As a matter of fact, I'll call them and request it.
Old 10-06-05, 11:16 AM

If you were that bothered then why did you buy the cut shows ?

No one else to blame.

If you made a mistake you could of got your money back.

At least the real fans have a great set to buy now.
Old 10-06-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by Hamburger3

They were advertised / labeled as UNCUT.

Most of us did not find out that episodes were indeed trimmed until after we bought the sets. To me, that in and of itself is not / was not a deal breaker. For others it was. For many, it was an example of bait & switch.

If something is advertised as uncut, let the end product truly be uncut.
Old 10-06-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No one else to blame.
It's the customer's fault when they buy a set that says "UNCUT" all over it in big, bold letters... and it turns out to be cut/edited? Man, I love that logic.

The people to blame are the ones that put out a set called "UNCUT" that turned out to be cut... and then didn't fix it for people who purchased. To release a supposedly actual uncut set just a few months later just rubs salt in the wounds. I can definitely understand why some folks are "bothered" by this.
Old 10-06-05, 01:27 PM

Yes it is if they then keep the set and do not act with their feet and return and say why they did so.

Anyone who could not be bothered to return it has no right to complain.

If you threw out the recipt then thats your problem.

They did not need to fix it.

Some people were not that bothered with the cuts or they could of returned it. If they did not its their own fault.

Sometimes you need to be pro active. Thats all Im saying.

Last edited by Hamburger3; 10-06-05 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-06-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its a tad hard to return a DVD set with the excuse of "Hey, these cartoons aren't uncut."

I believe the magic first season episodes are in thier orginal aired form (Ahh Robin Hoek) anything after I couldn't care less about.

But why should any of us have to purchase the set again because nobody could get it right the first time around? Why should i have to pay for that shit 2002 along with the mediocre later seasons of the show to get what i was promised for the first DVD release?

You want pro-active? I'm being plenty pro-active by not buying this new set.
Old 10-06-05, 04:10 PM

You know what would have been nice if they would have included the "Flintstones" that John K. did, or was that Bob May?...whatever and also "Yogi Bear" from John K.

I would have double dipped for that, but I'll just keep my 3 sets. And yes, I didn't know about the first set being "CUT" until "AFTER" I bought it...just like most people!
Old 10-06-05, 06:07 PM

Ill just stick with my volume 1
Old 10-06-05, 11:44 PM
Suspended

Yes it is if they then keep the set and do not act with their feet and return and say why they did so.

Anyone who could not be bothered to return it has no right to complain.

If you threw out the recipt then thats your problem.

They did not need to fix it.

Some people were not that bothered with the cuts or they could of returned it. If they did not its their own fault.

Sometimes you need to be pro active. Thats all Im saying.
You can't return on open DVD for a refund. If you say that it is defective than you can exchange it for the exact same item only. You can't even turn around and try to sell the item as new because most places cut open the shrink wrap when you do a dvd return to prevent you from using that copy to return for a refund.
Old 10-07-05, 07:54 AM

I have talked with members from some other forums that have spoken to John and according to them, the Ulitimate Box set has been pushed back to 2006.

Many sites were quick to report about these cuts but none bothered following up with what Spmco and John had said went wrong. So everyone is quick to point the finger of blame on John but Nick had a bigger roll in this mess. John restored the episodes they knew were cut that they had or could find meterial for. Any additional cuts that were made by Nick after John left were unknown to them and Nick did not save or archive this footage...it was tossed out. So when you then have fans that can do a frame by frame comparasion of an old vhs tape vs. the dvd after the fact and find 7 - 40 seconds missing from only a few episodes, it's not unreasonable to me that if unknown a 10 sec. cut could go unnoticed. We have all heard of studios releasing syndicated versions of shows and not tell anyone about it until it gets released. Then some fan finds out other wise, this to me is no different (syndicated versions of shows are cut). None of these studios to my knowlege have "fixed" this by re-releasing them uncut or issuing a "replacement" disc. They do not care about you. Once John found out he at least is tring to make it right by working with the fans in order to obtain the missing footage and get a "fixed" released out. If you were one of the ones who bought the first release and are unhappy, then get rid of the original on eBay or through local stores like Sam Goody, EB, or Gamestop that buys back used dvds. So by no means are you stuck with it if you really want to get rid of it imo. I would urge any fans of the show out there to pick up the APC dvd and then just hold off for the ulitimate.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.