DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   The Emperor's New Groove SE: October 18th (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/431514-emperors-new-groove-se-october-18th.html)

Skoobooz 07-22-05 07:29 PM

The Emperor's New Groove SE: October 18th

From Davis DVD:

"Also due on October 18th is The Emperor's New Groove: The New Groove Edition. This one arrives with a 1.66 anamorphic transfer and Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks (no DTS this time). Extras will include an audio commentary with director Mark Dindal and producer Randy Fulmer, a deleted scene, behind-the-scenes featurettes (character voices, CGI and the animation team's research trip to Peru), two music videos with Sting and Rascal Flatts, set-top game, a sneak peek at the upcoming sequel "Kronk's New Groove" and a DVD-ROM game demo. Retail is $29.99."

http://www.davisdvd.com/news/animation.html

Considering that the current two disc version is still in print, and that this appears to have no new features and just drops the DTS, may I be the first to ask...why?

dsa_shea 07-22-05 07:32 PM

Dont we already have one?

calhoun07 07-22-05 07:37 PM

Definately not worth it. I am quite happy with my current two discer.

Artman 07-22-05 07:51 PM

Wish they'd do SE's for the ones that need it...Hercules and Hunchback come to mind, and Lilo & Stitch.

Let me guess...a re-issue of Atlantis is next...

Skoobooz 07-22-05 07:52 PM

I can't even tell if this is going to be two discs...doesn't sound like it....

Big Worms 07-22-05 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Definately not worth it. I am quite happy with my current two discer.

Same here.

I understand why Tarzan is coming out since it is OOP but why are they doing a SE on something that is already out as a CE. The only could be is that maybe it is a 1 disc version. Either way I will skip it.

dsa_shea 07-22-05 08:06 PM

It has a preview for the sequel (which will probably be second rate and suck).

Big Worms 07-22-05 08:14 PM

From ultimatedisney.com

Studio:
WALT DISNEY HOME ENTERTAINMENT

Story:
Get into the groove with Walt Disney’s hilarious animated feature film THE EMPEROR’S NEW
GROOVE, available in a Special Edition. This fast-paced comedy about finding the good in everyone
features a distinctive musical beat with lyrics and music by the world famous Grammy® Award-winning
singer/songwriter, Sting. Included on the film’s sensational soundtrack is the Academy Award® nominated
song “My Funny Friend and Me” (nominated Best Original Song 2000), with lyrics and music by Sting and
music by David Hartley; the upbeat “Perfect World” performed by legendary musical artist Tom Jones, and
a score by John Debney.

Cast:
David Spade (TV’s “Just Shoot Me”) is Emperor Kuzco, John Goodman (“O Brother Where Art Thou”)
plays Pacha the noble peasant, multiple Tony®, Grammy® and Emmy® nominee Eartha Kitt (“Harriet the
Spy”) is the wickedly delightful villainess Yzma, Patrick Warburton (TV’s “The Tick,” “Seinfeld”) plays
Yzma’s sidekick Kronk, and Wendie Malick (TV’s “Just Shoot Me”) is Pacha’s steadfast wife, Chicha.

Screenplay by David Reynolds. Music by Sting, David Hartley, John Debney. Directed by Mark Dindal.

DVD bonus features:
• Collectible packaging
• Sneak Peek at Disney’s upcoming movie “Kronk’s New Groove”
• Sting’s “Making the Music” video featuring the Academy Award® nominated song “My Funny
Friend and Me” (nominated 2000 Best Original Song)
• Rascal Flatts’ music video featuring the song “Walk The Llama Llama” where viewers can learn to
do the “Walk the Llama Llama” dance.
• Set Top Game – A fun challenge for parents and their children, with the voice talents of Kronk
(Patrick Warburton) and Yzma (Eartha Kitt).
• Audio Commentary from director Mark Dindal, Producer Randy Fulmer.
• Behind-The-Scenes on the character voices, computer imagery in the film and the animation team’s
research trip to Peru.
• Deleted scene: Destruction of Pacha’s Village
• DVD-ROM Features: Playable Demo

STREET DATE: OCTOBER 18, 2005
Direct prebook: September 6
Distributor prebook: August 23
Suggested retail price: $29.99 (DVD)
Rated: “G”
Feature run time: Approximately 78 minutes
Bonus materials not rated nor close captioned.
DVD aspect ratio: 1.66:1 enhanced for 16x9 TV frames
DVD Sound: Dolby® Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
Language: English audio, French audio

eau 07-23-05 04:18 AM

The 2-discer is better.

CertifiedTHX 07-23-05 07:13 PM

We already have The Ultimate Groove. Why the hell do we need this one?

Just a marketing ploy to tie-in with the sequel, which, as dsa_shea noted, will probably be crap. Watch out for these kinds of re-releases.

--THX

paustin 07-23-05 09:11 PM

i think having the actual Sting video is new...but i'm too lazy to get up and verify. the old one had the flats video and the making of Stings song if i remember correctly

ThatGuamGuy 07-24-05 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Big Worms
I understand why Tarzan is coming out since it is OOP but why are they doing a SE on something that is already out as a CE.

I'm pretty sure the 'Ultimate Groove' edition is OOP.

Skoobooz 07-24-05 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
I'm pretty sure the 'Ultimate Groove' edition is OOP.

I don't think it is....

Cameron 07-24-05 10:21 PM

ultimate groove is not OOP yet...but I assume it will be in the very near future.

the sting video is on it with the making of the song feature

Rammsteinfan 07-24-05 10:42 PM

My 2 disc is fine w/ me. I love that movie.

GMLSKIS 07-25-05 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
My 2 disc is fine w/ me. I love that movie.

Same here - just watched it a week ago and nothing wrong with the old one.

eau 07-25-05 02:24 AM

The new SE doesn't even have DTS -ohbfrank-

Cameron 07-30-05 11:23 PM

alot of the same news

from animated bliss

THE EMPEROR’S NEW GROOVE: SPECIAL EDITION

Get into the groove with Walt Disney’s hilarious animated feature film THE EMPEROR’S NEW GROOVE, available in a Special Edition. This fast-paced comedy about finding the good in everyone features a distinctive musical beat with lyrics and music by the world famous Grammy® Award-winning singer/songwriter, Sting. Included on the film’s sensational soundtrack is the Academy Award® nominated song “My Funny Friend and Me” (nominated Best Original Song 2000), with lyrics and music by Sting and music by David Hartley; the upbeat “Perfect World” performed by legendary musical artist Tom Jones, and a score by John Debney.

David Spade (TV’s “Just Shoot Me”) is Emperor Kuzco, John Goodman (“O Brother Where Art Thou”) plays Pacha the noble peasant, multiple Tony®, Grammy® and Emmy® nominee Eartha Kitt (“Harriet the Spy”) is the wickedly delightful villainess Yzma, Patrick Warburton (TV’s “The Tick,” “Seinfeld”) plays Yzma’s sidekick Kronk, and Wendie Malick (TV’s “Just Shoot Me”) is Pacha’s steadfast wife, Chicha.

Screenplay by David Reynolds. Music by Sting, David Hartley, John Debney. Directed by Mark Dindal.

DVD bonus features:
• Collectible packaging
• Sneak Peek at Disney’s upcoming movie “Kronk’s New Groove”
• Sting’s “Making the Music” video featuring the Academy Award® nominated song “My Funny Friend and Me” (nominated 2000 Best Original Song)
• Rascal Flatts’ music video featuring the song “Walk The Llama Llama” where viewers can learn to do the “Walk the Llama Llama” dance.
• Set Top Game – A fun challenge for parents and their children, with the voice talents of Kronk (Patrick Warburton) and Yzma (Eartha Kitt).
• Audio Commentary from director Mark Dindal, Producer Randy Fulmer.
• Behind-The-Scenes on the character voices, computer imagery in the film and the animation team’s research trip to Peru.
• Deleted scene: Destruction of Pacha’s Village
• DVD-ROM Features: Playable Demo

STREET DATE: OCTOBER 18, 2005
Studio: WALT DISNEY HOME ENTERTAINMENT
Suggested retail price: $29.99 (DVD)
Rated: “G”
Feature run time: Approximately 78 minutes
Bonus materials not rated nor close captioned.
DVD aspect ratio: 1.66:1 enhanced for 16x9 TV frames
DVD Sound: Dolby® Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
Language: English audio, French audio

Cameron 08-28-05 02:25 PM

http://tinypic.com/b9gfgm.jpg

http://tinypic.com/b9gfls.jpg

http://tinypic.com/b9gfux.jpg

eau 08-29-05 03:52 AM

I think the old 2-disc SE cover looks way cooler and better.

Brent L 08-29-05 07:32 AM

So in other words, this release is just like the new Tarzan DVD, meaning that the original OOP 2-Disc set is the set for adults to own.

lotsofdvds 08-29-05 07:39 AM

Looks like this new release is no touchy for me.

PixyJunket 08-29-05 08:36 AM

Keeping my old sets for both Tarzan and Groove. I really miss the more sophisticated cover art that we got when Disney did seperate one and two disc sets, though I don't miss how much extra they were back then.. so I guess it's a fair trade.

Brent L 08-29-05 08:39 AM

Are there any plans on doing anything like this for Atlantis: The Lost Empire in the future?

Paul Arnette 08-29-05 08:59 AM

OK. So, to summarize, apart from potentially upgraded audio and video, it looks like the only new material on this 'special edition' is the inclusion of a deleted scene? Is that correct?