Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Found a copy of the recalled version of Ed Wood...but in Oklahoma City

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Found a copy of the recalled version of Ed Wood...but in Oklahoma City

I know it's not that big of a deal but anyone who wanted a copy of the first release of Ed Wood SE DVD (with the gray spine) I found one at my local Borders. It's cool if you have been looking for it (and you live in Oklahoma City) or you just want it cause it's kinda rare.

Just thought I would let you know, just in case anyone is interested...
Old 07-20-05, 09:37 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Thanks! I will grab it tomorrow.

I had to get Straw Dogs (Criterion) from there today, with a 30% off coupon!
Old 07-20-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use caution, Buena Vista could have used the recalled grey spine and cover and changed the discs in the manufacturing process, since on back the specs are all the same. So what you might be buying might only be the recalled grey spine only, and not the actual recalled dvd. It's a strong possibility that this could happen. Buy at your own risk.
Old 07-20-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd_luver
Use caution, Buena Vista could have used the recalled grey spine and cover and changed the discs in the manufacturing process, since on back the specs are all the same. So what you might be buying might only be the recalled grey spine only, and not the actual recalled dvd. It's a strong possibility that this could happen. Buy at your own risk.
I was wondering what was going on with title as well. My Local Best Buy has had two copies of Ed Wood with different colored spines for a while now. Possibly the recalled version or what?
Old 07-21-05, 12:46 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
The recalled version was in February of 2004 right? It looks just like the one out now? But what is the difference?
Old 07-21-05, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mine is the recalled version and it has a grey spine with a shiny silver outline on the front cover.
Old 07-21-05, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The difference is the recalled version had a light grey colored spine and the current version released to replace it, has an all black spine. Both spines are identical to one another, I have both versions, I am a fan and the only difference, obviously is the color of the spines. Though, Buena Vista since both spines are identical may be using the recalled dvd cover version to market the product. Perhaps, giving off the impression that what you are buying is the recalled version.

Bottom line, the recalled cover and the current cover are the same, the difference between them is the spine of the dvd. One is light grey in color, the other is black. It seems Buena Vista is using the recalled cover with the new disc, not the recalled disc. Buyers, beware.
Old 07-21-05, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

it should also be noted that every disc has the same content...the new disc just doesn't give you the option to get to it from the menu
Old 07-21-05, 02:10 AM

I'm fairly certain there is a doc. on cross dressing that has been removed from the later release.
Old 07-21-05, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I purchased an Ed Wood with a grey spine some time ago from best buy. I was all excited b/c I had thought I picked up a long lost "recalled" version. However, it seems the discs were switched out, b/c there is not option to view the cross-dressing featurette from the disc's menu.

it should also be noted that every disc has the same content...the new disc just doesn't give you the option to get to it from the menu
How do you access the content if you can't get to it from the menu? With a computer? I think I have heard this holds true for the 7 Saumurai restoration doc. as well. Do you need special software to access these features?
Old 07-21-05, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

from Questions For Those Who Bought The New Ed Wood SE

Originally Posted by andicus
Something is different, since my copy (with the black spine) does NOT have "When Carol met Larry," but does have the other featurette "Let's Shoot This F#*%@r!," that wasn't mentioned earlier in this thread.

I just did some exploring, however, and found that although the "When Carol Met Larry" featurette is not listed on the box, and is not available from the special features menu, it is still on the disc as VTS_12_1.VOB. So it looks like they just modified the cover and the menu to 'remove' the featurette.
i got the original copy on release date...so i am not the best person to tell you how to access it....but it is on there.
Old 07-22-05, 12:18 AM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Well, all I can do is open the disc and try it...

Edit: Well, poo!

Oh well, as has been said, I can get it from a DVD Rom...

Last edited by littlefuzzy; 07-22-05 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-22-05, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The 3 Best Buy's down here have several of both