Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you consider FS ONLY DVDs really a released movie?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 07-19-05, 01:16 PM
boe
Suspended

I frequently look at threads about movies to be released on DVD. There are some movies such as Colossus: The Forbin Project that have only been released full screen so far. I really think of this movie as being 50% released since I refuse to buy any more FS movies (unless it was an old TV show that was made FS to begin with).

This is just my opinion but to me this is comparable to releasing a movie in a region I don't want or a language I don't want. While technically it is available on DVD, it is in a format I would not consider purchasing. So much of the film gets cropped it might was well be wide screen but with 15 minutes of the film deleted.
Old 07-19-05, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So because you don't want to purchase it means it doesn't fully exist?
Old 07-19-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think the OP fully exists.
Old 07-19-05, 02:32 PM
boe
Suspended

Originally Posted by scottall
So because you don't want to purchase it means it doesn't fully exist?
I'm not saying it doesn't exist any more than I consider a originally english movie released only in a Spanish version of a DVD not to exist. I just don't think it has been fully released.
Old 07-19-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

muwahahahahaha great first two responses... this has been discussed to death hasn't it?

I'll add my two cents... I don't pick up the FS releases, no matter what.... I think that's what OP meant... recent examples were Tank and Iceman from Universal/MCA... great going, Universal
Old 07-19-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If full screen is the original ratio (see Wizard of Oz, Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Gone With The Wind, and all those TV on DVD releases), I have no problem picking it up...it's all about original ratio - it's not about FS vs. WS.
Old 07-19-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

doh, should have corrected my statement... OAR indeed
Old 07-19-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boe
.... I refuse to buy any more FS movies (unless it was an old TV show that was made FS to begin with).
I sincerely hope you did not mean to suggest that you are ignoring all pre-1953 movies!

As for "fully released" - perhaps we can discuss that in the Adult Forum.
Old 07-19-05, 03:29 PM
boe
Suspended

Shannon Nutt - I think that is what I should have said - the original aspect ratio is my goal.

Marty - there are no pre 1960 movies that I want on DVD so I had not considered them either way.
Old 07-19-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

As far as I'm concerned, Star Wars still isn't on DVD either.
Old 07-19-05, 08:03 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by boe
Shannon Nutt - I think that is what I should have said - the original aspect ratio is my goal.

Marty - there are no pre 1960 movies that I want on DVD so I had not considered them either way.
You want nothing from Hollywood's golden age? Surely you must mean that you have all that you want from that time period and will purchase more pre 1960 films as they become available.
Old 07-19-05, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If it's not available on HD-DVD, it's not available at all.
Old 07-19-05, 10:40 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

yes, it only counts if its in the OAR. (although I do own 1 non-OAR DVD, it's the only version available, Spies Like Us.)
Old 07-20-05, 03:19 AM

Not OAR, no sale. Period.
Old 07-20-05, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If there's no OAR version I'll probably buy it cropped, if there's no announcement of a new DVD. Especially with esoteric/unpopular movies which will never be re-issued...
I'm opposed to cropping and everything, but you've got to be practical.
Old 07-20-05, 09:17 AM

recently, as i was going through my dvd collection to put on DVDaficionado i came acros numerous VD i had purchased way back when that were full screen only (happy gilmore, liar liar, and a couple more). I now do not consider myself an owner of these movies. How could i have been so stupid to pick these up!
Old 07-20-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm still waiting for Ace Ventura to be released on DVD...properly, that is. And then there's the constant confusion with An American Tail, which I would love to pick up, but I'm still unsure about the aspect ratio issue...some say it was animated and approved to be at full frame, some say that it's intended to be at 1.85. Until there's some official indication from Don Bluth, in my eyes, that movie is not on DVD.
Old 07-20-05, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boe

Wow, just wow. To each his own I guess. If all I could watch were post 1960 films I would just get rid of my DVD player and be done with it.

Anyway back on the topic, yeah no OAR means no sale for me. There are still several titles I want that to this point have only been released pan and scan and I refuse to buy them.
Old 07-20-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will pick up a non-OAR if the price is VERY right and I really want to see it.