DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Aaargh! Just realized old favorite is non-anamorphic! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/430996-aaargh-just-realized-old-favorite-non-anamorphic.html)

MisterHowie 07-18-05 06:30 PM

Aaargh! Just realized old favorite is non-anamorphic!

I started collecting DVDs back in 1999 when I only had a regular (not even flatscreen) Sharp 27" TV. Until I got a widescreen TV back in 2003, I never gave a crap what "anamorphic" meant or was. Anwyay, it wasn't until today as I was looking over my "inventory" on DVD Profiler that I finally noticed that one of my old favorites, Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, is non-anamorphic! When I first got the widescreen TV I went through my collection to see which titles needed updating (and could be updated) with anamorphic transfers. I must have missed this somehow. Now I realize that one of my absolute favorites is sub-standard! The disappointment! Has this ever happened to any of you?

darkside 07-18-05 07:06 PM

Yup, just posted about the same thing. Didn't realize just how many non anamorphic DVDs I had. I'm working on replacing the ones that can be replaced and will deal with the rest.

tommyp007 07-18-05 07:32 PM

Young Frankenstein :(

Dan 07-18-05 09:21 PM

just yesterday, I went through my collection and separated all of my non-anamorphic widescreen DVDs. There's a couple that can currently be upgraded, but I doubt I'll see an anamorphic Melvin Goes To Dinner or Waydowntown anytime soon.

viking99 07-18-05 09:50 PM

Dusk til Dawn
Lifeforce
The Abyss
Phantasm
Runaway Train

XBOX360 07-18-05 10:32 PM

Grosse Pointe Blank
Coming to America...
Too many of those early Paramount titles

thelwig14 07-18-05 10:37 PM

Con Air
10 Things I Hate About You
Armageddon CC
From Dusk Till Dawn
True Lies

Bill Needle 07-18-05 10:42 PM

Here's my list (a couple of these are about to be re-released), including a bunch of Criterion releases:

2010: The Year We Make Contact
Abyss, The
Back to School
Backdraft
Big
Brazil
Bruce Lee Master Collection
Deer Hunter, The
Escape From L.A.
Father of the Bride Part II
Fistful of Dollars, A
For a Few Dollars More
Giant
Good Will Hunting
Great Outdoors, The
High and Low
High Plains Drifter
Longest Day, The
Office Space
Pink Panther, The Return of the
Planet of the Apes Series (other than the re-released first movie)
Poseidon Adventure, The
Pretty Woman
Psycho
Raising Arizona
Rollerball
Run Silent, Run Deep
Sanjûrô
Some Like it Hot
Titanic
To Kill a Mockingbird
Towering Inferno, The
True Lies
Vertigo
Waterboy, The
Witness for the Prosecution
YoJimbo
Young Frankenstein

joliom 07-19-05 12:18 AM

I was lucky, I guess. I found out about anamorphically enhanced DVD's right away when my entire collection only consisted of about 10-15 titles, and long before I ever bought a WS HDTV. At that point, I only had one non-anamorphic that needed replacement: Die Hard. I don't envy you guys who have 50+ to double-dip on. None the less, there are a ton that I've been holding out for, and all of these that I went ahead and purchased anyway:

The Abyss
Back to School
Brazil
A Clockwork Orange
The Graduate
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers
Halloween: H20
Office Space
Prom Night
Phantasm
Sanjuro
Slumber Party Massacre
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
2010: The Year We Make Contact
When a Stranger Calls
Yojimbo
Young Frankenstein

nightmaster 07-19-05 03:49 AM

One of my old favorites is Outland and I bought it as soon as I started buying DVDs. Not only is it not anamorphic, the transfer is awwwwful.

joliom 07-19-05 07:18 AM

They tricked me with Back to School and 2010 (and also the original The Thing: CE). I bought them thinking they were anamorphic only to discover the package was misprinted. So that's two less non-anamorphics I would own otherwise. They really need to get off their asses with some of the bigger titles like The Abyss, A Clockwork Orange, and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - there's no reason why those shouldn't have been upgraded by now. My God, The Abyss is good to go already - just slap on a new transfer and were rolling.

starry 07-19-05 07:38 AM

Yes, Outland is crappy and it's marked enhanced on the back cover to boot. I wouldn't
have been so upset to discover it wasn't if the transfer had been half decent.

MisterHowie 07-19-05 06:48 PM

I agree on the Abyss and I'm eagerly awaiting a new transfer, as I am of the Graduate and (now) Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story. On the flipside, I was suprrised to find out last night that the old (non-Special Edition) Monty Python's Holy Grail is listed as anamorphic. Is this the gods evening out my fortunes or is this misinformation? (and yes, I will check myself in a second but a reply would be nice too...)

COACH2369 07-19-05 08:16 PM

I can't believe Con-Air is not Anamorphic! I did not know that... That is one of my favorite "kick back and just enjoy" movies. I guess it has been two years since I have watched it. That is when I got my widescreen TV.
I hope that they re-release this very soon....

Rypro 525 07-19-05 08:30 PM

there is an anamorphic "back to school" that was released (it should say "english 5.1) on the back/.

C_Fletch 07-19-05 09:22 PM

I've been wanting to pick up Dragon for years but haven't due to it being non-anamorphic and the fact that my DVD player/widescreen TV don't have a manual zoom. Is Dragon properly flagged as widescreen or is it flagged as 4X3?

RockyMtnBri 07-19-05 09:51 PM

nightmaster and starry...

Add me to the list of Outland disappointees! I wish this one would get a new treatment. Also, does anyone know if The Last Picture Show is anamorphic? Even the packaging is misleading.

Bill Needle 07-19-05 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by RockyMtnBri
nightmaster and starry...

Also, does anyone know if The Last Picture Show is anamorphic? Even the packaging is misleading.

Yes, it is anamorphic.

MisterHowie 07-19-05 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by C_Fletch
Is Dragon properly flagged as widescreen or is it flagged as 4X3?

It's 2.35:1 widescreen on the packaging. On DVD Profiler it's the same, and on Amazon they list it as Widescreen letterbox - 2.35:1. *sigh*

darkside 07-19-05 11:44 PM

Being an early adopter sucks. This is my list of the ones I have found so far:

Amarcord
Branded to Kill
Dragons Forever (import)
Hard Boiled (Criterion)
High and Low
Killer (Fox Lorber)
Perfect Blue
Sanjuro
Tokyo Drifter
Walkabout
Winner & Sinners (import) - Fox replacement already ordered
Yojimbo
Psycho
Vertigo
Nero Wolfe: The Silent Speaker (Bonus Episode listed as 16:9, but not anamorphic)
Hound of the Baskervilles (1.66:1 MGM)
Seven Percent Solution
Deer Hunter
Dirty Dancing
Long Good Friday
Sid and Nancy (might get the MGM version, but its doubtful I will bother)
2001 (MGM replacable with Warner)
2010 (MGM may be replacable, but not sure)
Abyss (menus anamorphic and package state anamorphic, Fox should have redone the disc)
Robocop (Criterion, Director's Cut not replacable)
Conan the Destroyer
Ladyhawke
Time Bandits (Criterion, replacable with new Anchor Bay version)
A Fistful of Dollars (new version out soon)
For a Few Dollars More (new version of this one will hopefully follow first Dollars rerelease)
The Wild Bunch
Dracula Prince of Darkness
Clockwork Orange (two versions and neither anamorphic, I'm going to sell this one)
Titanic (already sold it, not a big fan of the movie anyway)
Charade (already ordered the new Criterion version and will sell this one)
Pit and Pendulum (MGM 1.66:1 again)
Midnight Run (old Image version, will replace with Universal release at some point)
Blood For Dracula (replacable but doubt I will bother)
Flesh For Frankenstein (again probably wont bother)
House on Haunted Hill (Roan never does anamorphic)
Horror Hotel (Roan, ditto)
Satanic Rites of Dracula (two Anchor Bays that aren't anamorphic, shocking)
How to Get Ahead in Advertising (Criterion had their head up their ass on this one)
Withnail and I (again Criterion had no excuse as these were released long after they supported anamorphic)
Shock Corridor
Silence of the Lambs (Criterion, will probably also get the MGM release to go with it as I did with Spinal Tap)
History of the World Part I (No love for Mel from Fox)
Young Frankenstein (Sucks when one of your all time favorites is on the list)
Smokey and the Bandit III (Part of the pursuit pack and not very watchable anyway)
Some Like It Hot (MGM 1.66:1, they just won't do these anamorphic)
Dead Ringers (Criterion)
The Twelve Chairs (even Image sticks it to Mel Brooks)
Waterboy
Black Cauldron (This one plain pisses me off as it was a later Disney release)
Lady and the Tramp (will definitely replace when it gets a rerelease)
Madadayo (no matter what they call themselves Fox Lorber/Wellspring sucks ass)
Kurosawa (read above comment)
Bruce Lee Fox box set (getting another remastered release so these are getting sold)

Over 60 titles. No way I can replace them all, but I will try and replace the few I can. Some I may end up selling, but obviously many of them are must have films with no other version available.

I watched Young Frankenstein zoomed tonight and it wasn't that bad actually. I would much prefer an anamorphic release, but I will get by with most of these for the time being.

joliom 07-20-05 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
there is an anamorphic "back to school" that was released (it should say "english 5.1) on the back/.

I have that version. It's a misprint; the movie is still non-anamorphic. Same for the WB version of 2010 which is also incorrectly labeled as being anamorphic.

rw2516 07-20-05 03:45 PM

I think the Warner Bros. version of House on Haunted Hill(1959) is anamorphic.

Rypro 525 07-20-05 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by joliom
I have that version. It's a misprint; the movie is still non-anamorphic. Same for the WB version of 2010 which is also incorrectly labeled as being anamorphic.

but i think they reframed it right (mainly the opening credits looked all fucked up from what i remeber.

jrsl76 07-20-05 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by XBOX360
Grosse Pointe Blank

Yeah, I was watching this a few weeks ago and wondered if we will ever see a re-release in anamorphic. And as for Young Frankenstein, come on Fox. It is supercheap now, but I have resisted buying it until it is upgraded to anamorphic, and I will continue to do so.

MisterHowie 07-20-05 08:30 PM

My Monty Python Holy Grail disc is not anamorphic despite what DVD Profiler indicates. The disappointment continues...