Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any word on Magnum PI season 3, or Miami Vice Season 2?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 07-18-05, 11:05 AM
Cool New Member

Magnum PI Season 3, and Miami Vice Season 2....I have been waiting patiently, and checking the upcoming release lists, etc, and have seen no word on either of these...anyone out there have any news?
Old 07-18-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have not heard anything on Miami Vice Season 2 and would love for them to release it soon!!!
Old 07-18-05, 11:38 AM

Hopefully soon. Season 1 sold quite well I believe.
Old 08-10-05, 08:51 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

well i read this at tvshowsondvd.com

http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3810

Oh, and Michael Mann fans should stand by...a certain OTHER series he executive produced in the '80s (do we have to spell it out for you?) WILL have a second season DVD just in time for Christmas, we hear. We'll say more about that when the schedule is firmed up, but never fear: it IS in the works!
Old 08-10-05, 09:23 AM

Thanks for the heads-up ruk!
Old 08-10-05, 09:44 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Thanks for the heads-up ruk!

anytime pal.
Old 08-10-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ruk
well i read this at tvshowsondvd.com

http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3810

Oh, and Michael Mann fans should stand by...a certain OTHER series he executive produced in the '80s (do we have to spell it out for you?) WILL have a second season DVD just in time for Christmas, we hear. We'll say more about that when the schedule is firmed up, but never fear: it IS in the works!
After doing a search all I could find that he was the executive producer on was Miami Vice. So is that the "certain OTHER" series or did I miss something?
Old 08-10-05, 10:11 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cajun_junky
After doing a search all I could find that he was the executive producer on was Miami Vice. So is that the "certain OTHER" series or did I miss something?

basically the article is for crime story which mann produced and at the bottom it talks about the other series he produced which is miami vice.
Old 08-10-05, 11:20 AM
Cool New Member

Oh, man that is sweet...Crime Story Season 2 and Miami Vice Season 2 by Christmas...can't wait!

Now if Magnum Season 3 will just get released....
Old 08-10-05, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Miami Vice Season 2
Old 08-10-05, 08:57 PM
Political Exile

play.com has a November 21 release date for a region 2 release of season 3 of Magnum P.I.

I imagine a region 1 release will come around the same time. That would be consistent with the 7 month time between season 1 and season 2 in region 1 - September 2004 and April 2005.

Magum P.I. is my #1 favorite TV show of all time. Season 3 is my second favorite season. (Season 2 is my favorite - my amazon customer review of season 2 is a "spotlight review" and 92 out of 93 people found it helpful.)

Anyway, since people here like to talk about possible music substitutions, I'd like to point out that in season 3, the 2 hour episode "Did You See The Sunrise?" uses anonymous cover versions of some popular 1960s songs to remind us of the time of the Vietnam War. However, none of the specific songs is crucial to the plot, and even if they did remove all of them, I would not consider it to be a major loss.

As far as I remember, the only songs in the series that used the real versions performed by well known artists occurred during seasons 6, 7, and 8, and the number of such incidences was actually quite small. "Looking For Space" by John Denver in the episode "Limbo" from season 7 is certainlky the most important use of a a popular song in the series. I'd say the next most important is "The Brazilian" by Genesis in "Unfinished Business" from season 8.

Also very important is "I'm So Glad I'm Standing Here Today" by Joe Cocker in "Infinity And Jelly Doughnuts" from season 8. And "I Shall Be Released" by the Band is used in "Going Home" From Season 6.

Two episodes from season 7 use Genesis songs, but I forget which song goes with which episode. The songs are "Mama" and "Tonight Tonight Tonight" from the epsiodes "Death and Taxes" and "Laura."

Other than those 6 examples, I can't recall any other examples of a popular song being sung by a popular artist in any other episodes. But there may be a few others that I forget.

There are several other episodes that use anonymous cover versions of popular songs. In particular, the episode "The Look" from season 4 uses a whole bunch of them, and when the cover of "Yesterday" by the Beatles is used, Magnum even mentions it after he hears it on the radio for the second time. That same episode also has at least one other cover of a Beatles song - "All You Need Is Love." The episode involves a D.J. at a radio station, so the music is important. I guess even cover versions of Beatles songs are taboo on DVD today, but this isn't one of the better episodes anyway, and I wouldn't call it a major loss. (Besides, season 4 also has the episode "Home From The Sea." While there's no popular music in that, it is my favorite episode of the entire series, so that season is a must puchase for me.)

In the season 5 episode "Let Me Hear The Music," a scene takes place in a country bar with a live band with a female singer. She sings Tanya Tucker's "Texas (When I Die)" and Linda Ronstadt's arrangemnt of the Everly Brothers' "When Will I Be Loved." I really hope they leave both of those in, because I really like both of them a lot. But although they are enjoyable, they are not essential to the plot.
Old 08-17-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

tvshowsondvd.com has a tentative date for Miami Vice Season 2 as December 13th, 2005.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3937
Old 08-17-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

December is turning out to be a VERY expensive month for me......Great news on Miami Vice 2
Old 08-17-05, 04:04 PM

Been waiting for this -- glad we finally have a release date!
Old 08-17-05, 06:14 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

i was hoping it would not be double sided, the last set gave me so many problems- oh well great news anyways.
Old 08-17-05, 08:16 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by ruk
i was hoping it would not be double sided, the last set gave me so many problems- oh well great news anyways.
I have read and posted on some of the Magnum P.I. message boards, and I don't think there are any copies of season 1 or 2 of Magnum P.I. that don't have at least one playback problem. Both seasons use doublde sided discs.

My season 1 set has pixelation, freezing, and skipping, but only on the closing credits of one peisode, "Missing In Action." I didn't exchange it, because I figured that might make the situation even worse.

Before I bought season 2, I said to myself, "If there are any playback problems, I hope it's on the episode 'The Taking Of Dick McWilliams,' because that's my least favortie episode of the season."

When I bought season 2, there were playback problems on exactly one episode, and it was that exact episode. The middle has some problems with pixelation, freezing, and skipping. I figured the "DVD Gods" were smiling on me, so I didn't exchange it.

My player is a Panasonic S-47 that was manufactured 13 months ago, and it plays all my others discs perfectly.

Last edited by grundle; 08-17-05 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-17-05, 10:47 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by grundle
I have read and posted on some of the Magnum P.I. message boards, and I don't think there are any copies of season 1 or 2 of Magnum P.I. that don't have at least one playback problem. Both seasons use doublde sided discs.

My season 1 set has pixelation, freezing, and skipping, but only on the closing credits of one peisode, "Missing In Action." I didn't exchange it, because I figured that might make the situation even worse.

Before I bought season 2, I said to myself, "If there are any playback problems, I hope it's on the episode 'The Taking Of Dick McWilliams,' because that's my least favortie episode of the season."

When I bought season 2, there were playback problems on exactly one episode, and it was that exact episode. The middle has some problems with pixelation, freezing, and skipping. I figured the "DVD Gods" were smiling on me, so I didn't exchange it.

My player is a Panasonic S-47 that was manufactured 13 months ago, and it plays all my others discs perfectly.

i don't understand why they cannot just make a 6 disc set.
Old 08-18-05, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I really hope they don't change any of the music for Season 2 of Miami Vice. I've been sweating that ever since Universal announced they would be releasing the season sets. Knowing their track record, I just keep expecting to get thrown a curve ball out of the blue. Somehow I can just see them doing it right for a season or two and then suddenly cheapening out and going with substitute soundtracks.
Old 08-18-05, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not sure about season 2 since I've not bought it yet, but Magnum season 1 is on single sided discs in region 2. Not the greatest transfer, and lacking any extras, but still, just thought I'd put it out there for anyone who might be interested...
Old 08-18-05, 06:26 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by joliom
I really hope they don't change any of the music for Season 2 of Miami Vice. I've been sweating that ever since Universal announced they would be releasing the season sets. Knowing their track record, I just keep expecting to get thrown a curve ball out of the blue. Somehow I can just see them doing it right for a season or two and then suddenly cheapening out and going with substitute soundtracks.

agreed, i think that is the most important issue, i hope they do not change the music. I was pretty sure i read somewhere that sales for season 1 were pretty good, so they probably should not.
Old 08-18-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by joliom
A fear of mine as well, but lets hope they give us the original music and a decent transfer.
Old 08-18-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You know another one that kind of pissed me off was the new Tales from the Crypt Season 1 box. Why did they drop the classic opening where the camera dollys through the gate, into the creepy old house, down into the cellar, and right up to the Crypt Keeper springing out of his coffin? That was a classic part of the show - like the music videos in Beavis & Butthead - why drop that? Now each episode starts with the Crypt Keeper's introduction. I hate when they do shit like that. They ruin the whole experience.
Old 08-20-05, 10:08 AM
Political Exile

From a poster on a Magnum P.I. message board who has posted accurate information in the past:

http://s8.invisionfree.com/VMO2_DA_N...?showtopic=411

Magnum S3 release in North America, Rumoured release date ....

DEC 13 !
That's the entire post.

I hope he's right.
Old 08-20-05, 12:37 PM

Hey what about season 3 of Knight Rider ?
Old 08-20-05, 03:22 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by ROBERTCOP34
Hey what about season 3 of Knight Rider ?
I would think that Knight Rider and A-Team would probably come out on the same day as Magnum P.I., based on past experience.

There's a mistake on the commercial for the season 2 releases of Magnum P.I., A-Team, and Knight Rider that appears on the DVD sets. There's a scene from Magnum P.I. where a woman says to Magnum, "You were wonderful."

That actress is Judith Chapman, and she did indeed appear in the season 2 episode "The Woman On The Beach."

However, the scene where she says, "You were wonderful" is actually from the season 1 episode "The Black Orchid."

I find it really weird that they would include a scene from season 1 on a commercial for season 2.

This same mistake also appeared in the TV commerrcial for the DVD sets, too.

My biggest criticism of season 3 is that that is when she stopped appearing on the show. She was really great in those 2 episodes. It would have been neat if they had had her appear in one episode for all of the following seasons. Magnum got to kiss her in season 1. And Rick got to kiss her in season 2. But T.C. and Higgins never got their chance!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.