Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection FOX remasters 10.18.05

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-05, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmph... Well, it's a start. for the original audio tracks.
Old 07-28-05, 03:12 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
Hmmph... Well, it's a start. for the original audio tracks.
I hear ya dude!
Old 08-01-05, 04:13 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Retitled to reflect the original release information of each film". Nice!
Old 08-01-05, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Wow, they are finally going to get the proper English titles over here? Nice. Considering Fox's other recent HK releases, I think that there's a good chance that these won't just be English dubbed (especially considering that GAME OF DEATH II is included in the box set, and we already know that won't be the case with that disc)
Old 08-18-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from dvd answers

Title: Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection
Starring: Bruce Lee
Released: 18th October 2005
SRP: $49.98

Further Details
Fox Home Entertainment has provided us with artwork for a new Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection, which includes widescreen editions of Game of Death 2, The Fist of Fury, Way of the Dragon, The Game of Death, and The Big Boss. I'm afraid we have no word on disc contents, although we're expecting the DVDs to be identical to those already on the market. You'll be able to own this new collection from the 18th October, with the set retailing at $49.98. We've attached the official region one artwork below:

Anyone feel free to do a break down explanation of movie titles for bruce lee. help clear up any confusion some might have.

Last edited by Cameron; 08-18-05 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-18-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
That looks suspiciously like the Fortune Star DVD box sets released in Hong Kong.

I have some doubts as to whether that's what we'll see on the shelves.

It'd sure be cool, though.
Old 08-18-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted at DVD Answers
although we're expecting the DVDs to be identical to those already on the market.
That doesn't sound too promising.

K
Old 08-18-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm afraid we have no word on disc contents, although we're expecting the DVDs to be identical to those already on the market.
I kinda doubt that. So they are going to be non-anamorphic and look like crap? (I'd be highly disgusted with Fox if they just repackaged all the previous, mostly inferior looking, releases, only with new artwork with the proper English titles)
The only disc that should look like the already released one is GAME OF DEATH II.

Also, I doubt if that artwork is the final Region 1 artwork. I can't see Fox having the titles of the film printed in Chinese on the box and not English. It does look very similar to the Fortune Star artwork with "Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection" added in English (along with the Fox logo). Maybe it's just a quick mock up to tide things over until the final artwork is ready.

Anyone feel free to do a break down explanation of movie titles for bruce lee. help clear up any confusion some might have.
THE BIG BOSS and FIST OF FURY are the proper English titles of what were released here as FISTS OF FURY and THE CHINESE CONNECTION respectively. Fox was planning to retitle FIST OF FURY to FISTS OF FURY (because more than one fist sounds like you'll see a lot more fighting?) and THE BIG BOSS was supposed to be THE CHINESE CONNECTION (to capitalize on the popularity of THE FRENCH CONNECTION). As the legend goes, the film cans were mislabeled when they were shipped here, so they each got the wrong retitles.

WAY OF THE DRAGON was the original English title of RETURN OF THE DRAGON. Since that film was released here after ENTER THE DRAGON, Fox retitled it to make it seem like a sequel to that very popular film (even though WAY OF THE DRAGON was filmed first).

Last edited by cultshock; 08-18-05 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-18-05, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cultshock
Wow, they are finally going to get the proper English titles over here? Nice. Considering Fox's other recent HK releases, I think that there's a good chance that these won't just be English dubbed (especially considering that GAME OF DEATH II is included in the box set, and we already know that won't be the case with that disc)
I already have the HK set but I will pick this up because of the English dub. I always crack up listening to it; it's really hilarious.
Old 08-18-05, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i had assumed they were talking about the Hong Kong set when they said "already on the market"
Old 08-18-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cameron
i had assumed they were talking about the Hong Kong set when they said "already on the market"
Oh, well if that's the case, it's all good.
Old 08-18-05, 05:27 PM

I was just about to buy the old Fox collection last week. Good thing Best Buy had it at a ridiculous price or I might have bought it
Old 08-19-05, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BrunnenMatt
Good news, so many rumours over the last 2 years, let's hope for the 'Fortune Star' transfers! and some good extras to top the box of.

...BMatt
Yep!!! .. the only reason why I'm holding off on any set.
Old 08-29-05, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

dvd empire has this for 34.66 They are showing the same box art i posted a while back.

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...d=700081&tab=5
Old 09-16-05, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

ok, so i talked to the fox rep, and have a press sheet in hand...that is indeed your cover. enjoy
Old 09-16-05, 01:54 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Carmeron, does the press sheet say anything about the specs?
Old 09-16-05, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

the press sheet reads

Synopsis: Hero. Warrior. Legend. Widely regarded as the greatest Kung Fu master of the 20th century, Bruce Lee lives on in the Ultimate Collection of his most memorable films on DVD. From Lee's first starring role in The Big Boss to his final appearances in Game of Death and Game of Death II, these must own martial arts classics have been digitally remastered for superior picture quality and feature new 5.1 DTS and 5.1 Dolby Surround English Audio tracks for the Ultimate move experience!

Key Selling Points:

1. Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection is the definitive Bruce Lee boxed set!
All Five of Bruce Lee's Most Acclaimed films: The Big Boss, Fist of Fury, Way of the Dragon, Game of Death, and Game of Death II

Digitally Remastered for pristine picture quality

Explodes in Dolby Digital 5.1

Includes Never Before Seen special Features

2. Replaces Bruce Lee: The Master Collection, which is the top selling martial arts box set with over 200,000 units sold!
3. Capitalizes on the popularity of hits like Hero, House of Flying Daggers, and Kung Fu Hustle which have created a new generation of martial arts fans.
4. Outstanding Cross-promotional oppurtunities with other TCFHE boxed sets

Ok so that was my first time reading through....DTS and Dolby 5.1 English dub...but no mention of original language tracks.
Old 09-16-05, 10:56 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the press sheet.

"feature new 5.1 DTS and 5.1 Dolby Surround English Audio tracks"

Does it mean there is no original language track?
Old 09-16-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No original language tracks = no sale.
Old 09-16-05, 02:25 PM

Considering...

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
No original language tracks = no sale.
They've been working on this for nearly two years now, there is NO EXCUSE not to have original soundtracks on these. I'll wait till it comes out to see, but I think I'll be waiting on the new HKL two disc special editions.
Old 09-16-05, 03:01 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Please have the original soundtracks, I've wait years for this
Old 09-16-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yah, i wouldn't say this seals the deal....this press sheet is for retailers, and they are not always complete with full specs. Just a way to show off the artwork, tell what movies are in it. And reming them that they sold the hell out of Hero a while back....
Old 09-16-05, 11:13 PM

If what the guys at Fox told me six months back still hold true, it's largely a port of the HK set. I'm still waiting for the HKL discs before I do anything.
Old 09-24-05, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI, using the Wherehouse/Spun.com deal (see DVD Bargains thread), this is only $26.00!
Old 09-25-05, 03:37 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The $26 price is tempting...but I'm holding until the original audio is confirmed!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.