Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Where's Nypd Blue Seasons 3,4,5 ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-05, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where's Nypd Blue Seasons 3,4,5 ?

This may have been posted earlier but what's the hold-up on releasing NYPD Blue beyond season 2? Certainly the first two seasons sold well enough to release the rest of the series, right? Fox Home Video has been great at releasing their TV series throughout the year so this remains a mystery to me.
Old 07-14-05, 03:50 PM

Certainly the first two seasons sold well enough to release the rest of the series, right?
From all indications from Fox, the answer is no. Unfortunately, Hill Street Blues and St. Elsewhere were slightly hinged on NYPD Blue success... So those sereis probably wont happen either.

fitprod
Old 07-14-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd love to see sales figures for these sets. I find it impossible to believe that such a quality, popular show isn't selling well enough to continue. Especially with some of the absolute trash that is being put out in the TV-on-DVD isle.

(I too am a sad owner of the first two seasons, anxiously awaiting the day when I can complete the collection.)
Old 07-14-05, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
As a I recall, even the 2nd season was a bit iffy, so I don't hold out much hope for future releases - though I'd love it if I'm proven wrong.
Old 07-14-05, 05:29 PM

St. Elsewhere and Hill Street Blues are held up because of ownership issues...Fox doesn't have the free-and-clear rights to them. A 1/21 Video Business article said:

Other shows, such as St. Elsewhere, haven't made it to DVD because it isn't clear in older contracts who owns the DVD rights, particularly shows that were jointly produced by companies that might have since been sold.

Last word on NYPD Blue S3 came a year ago. I guess Fox never found "a good time" to release it.
Old 07-15-05, 07:41 PM

NYPD BLUE seasons3,4,5,etc.

I find it hard to believe that NYPD BLUE isn't doing well on DVD,since it was
on TV for so many seasons.I will buy all the rest of the seasons if FOX would release them. If they don't want to take the chance to release them then sell the rights to someone who will release them.I haven't seen either season of NYPD BLUE in the Wallmart discount bin like I've seen other season releases.
A majority of the shows being released on DVD couldn't hold a candle to NYPD BLUE. Fox please start releasing the rest of the seasons of NYPD BLUE!

Thank you!
Rich Ringenbach
Old 07-18-05, 09:39 AM

I've also been waiting for season 3 to arrive on DVD. Fox did a great job with the first two sets, and it would be a shame if the others never came out. Then again, most fans thought the Mary Tyler Moore show would never see a follow-up release after season 1, and we see that season 2 is coming this year. I have to believe that a quality show like NYPD Blue will get more seasons to DVD eventually.
Old 07-18-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Not sure how I would find info on such a release... oh wait.. yes I do.

DVDtalk Disccusion 1

DVDtalk Discussion 2

DVDtalk Discussion 3

DVDtalk Discussion 4
Old 07-18-05, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by fitprod
From all indications from Fox, the answer is no. Unfortunately, Hill Street Blues and St. Elsewhere were slightly hinged on NYPD Blue success... So those sereis probably wont happen either.

fitprod
Whenever I see releases for The Nanny and Tony Orlando and Dawn, it just baffles me that shows like St. Elsewhere and China Beach are not already on DVD.
Old 07-18-05, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
I think Fox clearly is aware these are in high demand. This is why they are creating a climax so they can charge you a crapload of money.
Old 05-18-06, 10:55 PM

I noticed today at work (fye) that we had a street date listed for NYPD Blue Season 4 on 6/20/06. Anyone else out there confirm this is actually the date? I think sometimes Trans World jumps the gun on certain releases, but if it's in the inventory, that's usually a good sign. I was surprised to see it because I hadn't heard anything official yet. My apologies if this has already been discussed. I did a search, but nothing came up.
Old 05-18-06, 11:01 PM

Well, it's on amazon too so I must have just missed the announcement. Cool! Glad to see that they're speeding up the process on these sets. (And much cheaper than when they originally came out to boot!)
Old 07-26-07, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
So has anyone heard anything on season 5+? They were doing great by releasing 3 & 4 within four months of each other, now we are at the year mark since the last one.

I'm working my way though 4 right now and I want more 'Blue.'
Old 07-26-07, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
You're not the only one. I put up with TNT's stupid "let's put our own commerical breaks where we feel like it" and the OVERpromotion of their shows, to watch Blue every Tuesday overnight..
Old 07-27-07, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks like we will be getting 2 seasons within a couple of months, then we have to wait another 2 years t'll they release another 2 sets (5 & 6) then go through the same shit again. That seems to be the pattern FOX has for NYPD: Blue on DVD. I really hope they don't give up completely on release the rest of the seasons on DVD. Once your up to 4 seasons being released on DVD, I think they should show the fans at least some loyalty & continue ti'll they release all 11 seasons.
I know all studios have their positives & negitives with TOD releases but I hate it when there is more than one season released & they just decided to stop & show no loyalty to the people that continued to buy the seasons as they came out. I'm not saying this is my favorite show or anything but it would have been nice to have more seasons of King of the Hill. It's a piss on the customers to just stop releasing the seasons when they have already released 6 seasons on DVD, that one has bothered me the most because 6 seasons is alot to have released, then suddenly stop.
Come on FOX, release more seasons of NYPD: Blue. Hell jack up the price, & keep with the double sided discs & I'd still buy. More St. Elsewhere as well & numerous other titles.
Old 07-27-07, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At least you're getting them. Unlike the King Of The Hill. After six seasons we're getting dumped.
Old 07-27-07, 10:05 AM

As far as TV series go, I'm surprised Universal gave fans all five seasons of
"Miami Vice" (w/all original music intact.)
Old 07-27-07, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by ianholm
At least you're getting them. Unlike the King Of The Hill. After six seasons we're getting dumped.
I know, we really got screwed didn't we.
Old 07-27-07, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by FILMCZY
As far as TV series go, I'm surprised Universal gave fans all five seasons of
"Miami Vice" (w/all original music intact.)
Universal so far for me is the most consistent in releasing their TV shows, so I'm not suprised at that.
Old 07-27-07, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nateman241
I know, we really got screwed didn't we.
Yes, we did. I guess it's a crapshoot on whether or not we get complete series.
Old 07-28-07, 07:32 AM

^^^ Well like I said before, once your up to releasing six seasons on DVD it's just a piss on the customers by suddenly saying, "Thats it!, No more for You!".
The Eliminator
Universal so far for me is the most consistent in releasing their TV shows, so I'm not suprised at that.
Yeah, who would have ever thought that Eh? Universal was awful at first by releasing TOD titles on those horrible DVD-18 discs but now they release fewer & fewer titles on DVD-18s & I think they are up to the point where they have pretty much done away with them altogether.
Sony & FOX are the 2 guilty parties at either not releasing the rest of the seasons & esp. with Sony, have pretty much no release timeline whatsoever. To a lesser degree the WB is guilty as well. Buena Vista & Universal are currently the 2 best TOD releasers.