Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Anyone use DVD binders?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-05, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally like the VAULTZ one. The lock like a briefcase. They are kind of expensive though. I think the big one is like $30+
Old 07-13-05, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been storing my games and dvds in CaseLogic cases since 99. They have never destroyed or damaged a single disc.
Old 07-14-05, 05:15 PM
Cool New Member

I'm moving soon, and needed a way to store my mid-sized collection (trying to stay as portable as possible)... so I picked up one of these:

http://www.meritline.com/cd-dvd-510-...ck-ehj510.html

Hanging cases, so no zipper to scratch discs as you remove them, no binding to bunch or warp them. Hopefully it'll do the trick! The $25 off coupon and free shipping doesn't hurt, either.
Old 07-14-05, 07:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How do you like it? That 1000 capacity one looks kind of nice as well. Any idea though why the larger $off coupon is on the smaller case, will it work on the larger one?
Old 07-15-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 909 Likes on 552 Posts
I've got most of my CD and DVD concert boots stored in both Case Logic and Velocity binders. My only problem with the Velocity (I have the 320-disc one mentioned earlier in the thread) is that the zipper teeth seem to come apart on their own sometime.

Not a huge deal, since it doesn't leave the area of my PC table...and not sure if it's just mine...
Old 07-15-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 909 Likes on 552 Posts
Originally Posted by yenemy
I'm moving soon, and needed a way to store my mid-sized collection (trying to stay as portable as possible)... so I picked up one of these:

Hanging cases, so no zipper to scratch discs as you remove them, no binding to bunch or warp them. Hopefully it'll do the trick! The $25 off coupon and free shipping doesn't hurt, either.
I like this - a lot. It'd be a hell of a lot easier to keep my boots organized alphabetically than it is in binders.

I may need to pick up a couple of these.

Last edited by emanon; 07-15-05 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-19-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I use a binder for my DVDs but I'm starting to dislike it, firstly it's sometimes difficult getting the discs in the individual sleeves and they sometimes get scratches. The second problem I have is with fingerprints which I never had before. Fingerprints cause skipping so I'm constantly cleaning the discs. I'm planning to get a few of these storage units once I find a better price: http://www.johnsonsmith.com/website/...%5Fpage%5Fno=1

They seem pretty sweet, you can catalog them and find discs easier not to mention the retrieval system.

Last edited by Samuel; 07-19-05 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-19-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ronin4223
I have been storing my games and dvds in CaseLogic cases since 99. They have never destroyed or damaged a single disc.
Ditto, except I started somewhere between 1991-94.

Scratches? Fingerprints? Zippers? Warping? What is wrong with people? You can't take a disc out of a sleeve without doing something to it? I guess if this is the situation then this type of case is not going to work for you. But there are ways to misuse other types of cases, too. I'd recommend caution, not just a new storage case.

Because of this thread I've been looking at mine the last couple days as I pull them out to play them. No scratches, no warping, no dirt, no problem. Some I pull out all the time, some haven't been out of the sleeve in years, but they all look the same.

I've got a Case Logic 100 pack of CDs sitting in my van right now. Not in direct sunlight since I hide them to protect against theft, but it's been hitting 95 here the last week and the inside of the van must hit 120+ easily. No problems whatsoever. I've left them in cars, stored them upright, laying down, stacked, etc. The ONLY problem I've had is my kids under 5 ripping open some of the sleeves trying to pull out discs. And the discs were fine.
Old 07-20-05, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by nemein
To start off w/ I ordered a couple of these
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg.../-/B000277S4M/

The pic is of the 40 DVD one but I saw the 64 version earlier today and it looks similar. The whole faux leather thing is kind of cheesy but instead of being open on the edges it's more like a wooden box so there is a nice protective cover around the disks themselves. I'll let people know how they work out but in the meantime keep the ideas coming

I finally got these and they aren't too bad. I agree w/ the criticism on the Amazon site though that if you packed them entirely they would probably be difficult to close. I guess zippered ones might be a little better in that respect.

Regarding different sizes though since I'm mainly looking for things that will house individual sets (the 11 DVDs for Starship Troopers and the Roughnecks series for example), has anyone run across smaller versions (that aren't the "travel" type - aka they can hold the inserts)? The smallest I've found so far is a 20 disk version. Just curious.
Old 03-12-06, 11:37 AM

I am thinking about getting some type of case for easy transport of about 2500 discs (DVD,CD, and Video Games plus a little extra room) just in case I have to flee my home due to the coming hurricane season. I was hit by both Katrina and Rita, but no real damage yet had either of their courses been different by a degree or so my DVDs would likely be no more. I think Ineed to start preparing just in case. as there is no way I can take all of these cases with me and leave room for my family. What should I choose?

Are the 1000 capacity Meritline's any good? Would it be better to get more of the smaller ones, I do see a price bargain for the 510 that would give me more space than larger ones. How bulky are these? How heavy do they get?

I am worried about damaging the discs though. I see that a lot of people have no problem here, but I do not think I read anything about how double sided discs last in these things. Has anyone had problems with those? or solutions?
Old 03-12-06, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just put my collection into binders - Caselogic ones that hold 200 I think. I couldn't hold any more in my bookcases, and it got too inconvenient to browse them.

I have had much cheaper cases that did indeed scratch my CDs, but these ones have a significantly different backing on them that doesn't seem to be causing any harm.
Old 03-13-06, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by yenemy

After filling about 10 of the 96 Disc Case Logic cases, I bought the 1000 Disc Meritline case last fall. I got it for around $70 after coupons and discounts.

My issues with it are:

1) Some of the sleeves had foreign material in them, which caused some minor scratches on some of my discs ... also, I have to be careful to fold the top plastic part back when removing the discs from the sleeves, because that too scratches the discs as well if they rub against it. Thus you end up with similar issues from Case Logic or any other case with sleeves and a zipper.

2) It could hold much more than 1000 discs (in the double-sided sleeves), but there is no way to order to extras sleeves. On the other hand, with 1000 discs, it is heavy.

3) Maybe it is just mine, but there is some kind of funk in that case. I am not sure if it is the material or what, but I now understand why Seinfeld just gave up his car like that.

It's nice, but in hindsight, I would probably be happier with everything in ultra-slim individual CD-sized cases or Tyvek sleeves ... and storing them in a chest of drawers or something.
Old 03-13-06, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I've never had trouble with CaseLogic cases scratching my cds. Some of my friends had cheaper ones that used a plastic-type backing. Those did scratch, but common sense would have made that clear.

I've started moving my dvd's to binders. I don't have too much room in my apartment to store dvds. Not to mention, I'm one of the few here that don't like to display a bunch of cases. At the moment, I've got most of them in dresser drawers. If someone walks out with a couple cases of dvd's, well, that's what insurance is for.
Old 03-13-06, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
For now, I'm storing my DVD+Rs in binders. It's just easier to keep them organized that way. All my store-bought dvds are staying in their original cases until I run out of space.
Old 03-13-06, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
For now, I'm storing my DVD+Rs in binders. It's just easier to keep them organized that way. All my store-bought dvds are staying in their original cases until I run out of space.
I can understand storing DVD+Rs in binders but for converting my over 1000 DVDs to binders, I am at a loss as to what to do with the art work or covers.

Being somewhat anal or purist about this doesn't help but I am running out of space and need a solution.

So, does one make the supreme tradeoff and
1) toss the cases - wow
2) keep the artwork/covers.... somewhere ... in a box?
3) put all the DVDs in binders and hope that the in/out will not be an issue.
???

of course some like Sin City, Godfather and Brazil sets, I can't mess with....

Great thread!!!
Old 03-13-06, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by JANK
I can understand storing DVD+Rs in binders but for converting my over 1000 DVDs to binders, I am at a loss as to what to do with the art work or covers.

Being somewhat anal or purist about this doesn't help but I am running out of space and need a solution.

So, does one make the supreme tradeoff and
1) toss the cases - wow
2) keep the artwork/covers.... somewhere ... in a box?
3) put all the DVDs in binders and hope that the in/out will not be an issue.
???

of course some like Sin City, Godfather and Brazil sets, I can't mess with....
Great thread!!!
There is currently no system (binder or filing) on the market that is satisfactory, IMO. I've tried CaseLogic and I've had some of my discs (VideoCD and DVD) scratched and scuffed. And few discs warp slightly due to the uneven pressure exerted by being stored in binders.(the diameter of the binder rings is less than the height of the pages when filled)

I have a relatively small collection (400 titles) but would still like a more efficient storage method. My collection is currently entirely hidden in a section of my IKEA wall-unit. (I don't like the 'living in a netflix warehouse' look) I have the discs in their original cases stored in IKEA wire racks that easily slide out.
Old 10-03-07, 02:24 PM

Good thread...

Been thinking of moving to a binder system...
Old 10-03-07, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Disc Sox are pretty nifty, too. MM Design sells these. Google it. On the expensive side, but I like keeping the art and the disc all in the same sleeve. You can get a variety of storage units to hold these, from suitcase type to actual furniture.
Old 10-04-07, 03:29 AM
Cool New Member

With well over 3000 DVD's / CD's I have also been seriously considering putting the majority in these binders (apart from cool SE's, etc). Are there any that allow a place to keep the DVD cover artwork behind?
Old 10-04-07, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You could also store your dvds in "thinline" dvd cases...I have a lot in those and then you can still display them...you either"slightly trim the artwork or fold it" really looks nice. I would not do that for super expensiive or some Criterions etc..but most common used dvds are only worth 2-3 bucks anyway these days.You will dramtically reduce the space needed for your collection and be stylish at same time.
Old 10-04-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Binders are practical in the way that you don't have to spend a fortune. If you have a thousand DVD's in your collection (or a thousand titles really which would mean many more discs than that), buying those slimlines could be a real hassel and a pain in the butt.

I keep them all on my DVD shelves. Once in a while the collection looks terrible and I go through them and I bring back ones I know I won't watch again for store credit. The binders even if you take care of your discs, CAN cause minor abrasions and scratches. You can certainly be careful enough to the point where you won't put fingerprints on discs though, so I don't see an issue there. But, there's too many titles I care enough for that I wouldn't want to risk any damage at all. The binders are a little too risky for me for this reason.
Old 10-05-07, 04:48 AM

As mentioned on another thread, this is what I did ...

Old 10-06-07, 11:23 AM

Next question is:

Once I goto binders, what sort of numbering system can I use to incorperate my exsisting dvds and my future buys?

I was thinking: 01-0010 then 01-0020 so on and that would leave 9 empty #'s for new dvds...

Any better ideas?
Old 11-01-07, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm bumping this thread to ask if anyone who might have bought these sleeves has any clue what binder I can use to fit them in. I've gone all over looking for something and I've got nothing.

http://meritline.stores.yahoo.net/re...isc-black.html
Old 11-01-07, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chard31
Next question is:

Once I goto binders, what sort of numbering system can I use to incorperate my exsisting dvds and my future buys?

I was thinking: 01-0010 then 01-0020 so on and that would leave 9 empty #'s for new dvds...

Any better ideas?
I'm not completely sure what the numbering system you propose is supposed to accomplish. Are you trying to keep them alphabetical? Since the whole concept of going to binder is to save space, I would forget alphabetical as you will waste a ridiculous amount of space trying to keep it alphabetical. I would recommend an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of location or a program like DVD Profiler that will allow you to give each entry a collection number. You can assign each sleeve in the binder a collection number. If alphabetical is important to you, I suggest you do what Palooka did.

I have a Meritline case and like it very much but I don't believe it will hold as many discs as they claim. Anybody else have the same problem?

Last edited by Subgeniusguy; 11-01-07 at 10:50 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.