Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Yet another reason to hate Disney (Re: Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 07-09-05, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so they stopped with the 2D animation. So they really screwed up what was a cool thing in the Disney/Pixar team.

Well, now they are kinda screwing with Henson stuff.

From DavisDVD:

With the previous Columbia TriStar DVD now out of print, HIT! Entertainment has picked up distribution rights for the beloved holiday classic Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas. The new "Collector's Edition" disc, due on October 4th, will feature bonus materials from the Henson archives including a behind-the-scenes documentary, bloopers and a never-before-seen lost song with an introduction from composer Paul Williams. Also included will be interviews with Cheryl Henson, Jerry Nelson (Emmet Otter), Marilyn Sokol (Ma Otter) and puppeteers Rollin Krewson, Caroly Wilcox and Michael K. Frith. Retail will be $11.99.

It should be noted that this disc will present the 1977 version (see here for a description) that was on the previous DVD, but with one major new change. Due to Disney's ownership of the Muppets, this new edition will delete all of Kermit the Frog's scenes as narrator. That's pretty major.

Old 07-09-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats not the fault of disney. That is Hit Entertainment not shelling out for the Kermit Likeness.

Same as people not paying musicians for original music on tv dvds
Old 07-09-05, 10:04 PM

How is this Disney's fault? I am sure they have a standard contract to license Kermit and this manufacturer didnt want to shell out the cash. Not to mention this company could have just defrayed the cost of the license by charging a couple bucks more for the dvd set.

Its amazing how people who have a feeling about a company can find anything to try and make that company look bad just to validate their opinion.
Old 07-09-05, 10:30 PM
Banned

Ok, so they stopped with the 2D animation. So they really screwed up what was a cool thing in the Disney/Pixar team.

Well, now they are kinda screwing with Henson stuff.

From DavisDVD:

With the previous Columbia TriStar DVD now out of print, HIT! Entertainment has picked up distribution rights for the beloved holiday classic Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas. The new "Collector's Edition" disc, due on October 4th, will feature bonus materials from the Henson archives including a behind-the-scenes documentary, bloopers and a never-before-seen lost song with an introduction from composer Paul Williams. Also included will be interviews with Cheryl Henson, Jerry Nelson (Emmet Otter), Marilyn Sokol (Ma Otter) and puppeteers Rollin Krewson, Caroly Wilcox and Michael K. Frith. Retail will be $11.99.

It should be noted that this disc will present the 1977 version (see here for a description) that was on the previous DVD, but with one major new change. Due to Disney's ownership of the Muppets, this new edition will delete all of Kermit the Frog's scenes as narrator. That's pretty major.
I went to the link that davisdvd.com put where it explains the "missing" Kermit narration. Here is the difference according to the reviewer on Amazon.com:

There are 2 versions of Emmet Otter, November 14, 2001
To clear up some of the confusion and angry reviews about this special being edited, as a fan of Emmet Otter, let me explain that there are 2 different versions of this classic holiday special. In 1977, HBO first aired Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas and also ran it in 1978 and 1979 which is the version that's been available on VHS for years and was just released on DVD. In 1980, ABC snatched the special away from HBO for one year and made some changes to it including adding Kermit's voiceover narration, trimming some of the songs ("Ain't No Hole In The Washtub" and the reprise of "When The River Meets The Sea"), extending some scenes like the Riverside Rest scene where Emmet, Ma and the boys are singing inside where it pans over to Kermit narrating to us the audience (the original 1977 version did not have Kermit at the Riverside Rest but just dissolved onto the next scene when Emmet, Ma and the boys are walking home after singing) while trimming others. HBO began airing the special again in 1981 and throughout the '80s but instead of using the original 1977 version that they ran from 1977 to 1979, they instead ran the ABC network version which is what most viewers had remembered seeing and therefore were upset by the video release which was the original 1977 cut and not the 1980 network version. So my advice to those who still have a copy from HBO recorded during the '80s, keep it and buy the video version which is the original version that aired back in 1977 on HBO and watch them back to back and decide for yourself which version you like the most. Personally, I prefer the video edition because that was the version I had remembered watching as a kid. I just wanted to clear up any confusion by those who had bought the video or DVD and was disappointed to see what they thought was an "edited version" of what they had remembered seeing on ABC or HBO in the '80s which is not really the case when it comes to this classic holiday special where there are 2 versions: the 1977 cut which ran on HBO from 1977 to 1979 and the 1980 ABC network version which ran once on ABC in 1980 and on HBO from 1981 into the late '80s. Hope this information helps.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...365965-3035331

So what HIT! Entertainment is releasing is the original cut first aired on HBO. The Kermit narration was put by ABC later on. The ideal DVD would have both versions, but its good to hear that the original cut is going to be released.

Last edited by dx23; 07-09-05 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-09-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
So now the OP can hate Disney for kermitizing the original ....
Old 07-09-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

exactly! Now I'm REALLY pissed!
Old 07-09-05, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's sorta like "Happy Birthday to Me" - where Columbia Tristar released a different print with a totally different musical score. People were angry about that.

There was Paramount's first release of "Friday the 13th" which had slightly different death scenes; some with cut gore and others with added gore. Fans were angry and intrigued about that.

Those who grew up remembering the version of "Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas" with Kermit on it, will be sorely disappointed when they pick up the HIT! Entertainment version. It's unlikely they will inform consumers that this is the Kermit-less version, because they want sales. Maybe HIT! doesn't even know which print they purchased.

Kermit is treasured; watch the values of the OOP version soar on eBay! Having Kermit narration included could be a real selling feature.

This thread has a very vague topic line. There was a recent Disney-hatred thread on this board which mysteriously disappeared.

Last edited by Disc-Flipper; 07-09-05 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-09-05, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In truth I don't hate Disney as a whole (ie: I very much love much of what was produced while Walt Disney himself was still alive)-- just the direction it's been going the past 5+ years or so. If my original post didn't make that clear through my examples (ie- 2D animation, Pixar) then this post should.
Old 07-10-05, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn, this thread is fading fast. I should've worked the controversial angle more.
Old 07-10-05, 01:48 AM

It has been a while since I've seen it, but doesn't Kermit interact with the Riverbottom Nightmare Band? Doesn't the fish spit on Kermit?

Are they cutting that? Because if they cut even one second of the Riverbottom Nightmare Band, I'm not buying it.
Old 07-10-05, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Will this version have the lines that were cut? Like the one about falling off a dock?
Old 07-10-05, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That is news to me. Just when you think you had learned all you could something like this just pops up. (I now anxiously await several people chiming in on how they have waited for the uncut original...I knew it all along...blah blah)

I have the kermit version, as it is a holiday must in my mind. It is the version i watched growing up, and have always loved it...However with the low MSRP on the disc, i think i may double dip just to see what I missed, and how they spliced Kermit as a narrarator. It has always appeared seamless to me.
Old 07-10-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, the 1980 version is the one I grew up with, as I wasn't even born until then. I just think it's kind of a crappy thing to happen. And I'm not entirely sure the distributor of this dvd could get the Kermit stuff put back even if they paid. But yeah, considering the low srp I may pick it up anyway. Just kinda thought it was worth mentioning.
Old 07-10-05, 10:42 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
Originally Posted by mifuneral
Damn, this thread is fading fast. I should've worked the controversial angle more.
If you would have worked in Song of the South in there somewhere, this would be 15 pages by now.
Old 07-11-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmmm... Interesting...

Well, here's one title that I won't be "upgrading", I'll definitely hold on to the OOP version. But, at that MSRP, I may pick it up as a supplement, the extras sound like they might be worth checking out.
Old 07-11-05, 11:10 AM

The ABC cut is better

I have both versions and much prefer the "ABC cut". The "original" 1977 cut actually butchers the movie for who knows what reason. I mean it's clear they filmed scenes with dialogue like Ma telling the lady to "fall off the dock" and they just cut it up. Same with the dialogue leading up to the song, "aint not hole in the washtub".

Now with the original cut, you do get a little bit longer song on "aint no hole" and you get a little more pondering on whether to put the hole in the washtub by Emmett, but other than that, the ABC cut is the best and it is a shame it's not available.

ABC did not "kermitize" the feature. Henson clearly filmed Kermit as a part of this story. The riverbottom gang interacts with him and at the end, when Ma and the boys are playing at the riverside rest, the camera pans over to kermit listening and he adds a coda.
In the "original" 1977 cut, right before the camera gets to Kermits table, it cuts away.

Just because you hear the word "original", don't think that means better. The ABC cut RESTORED the missing bits for the most part.

I've made my own personal DVD of the restored ABC version since it will most likely never be seen again.
Old 07-11-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
(I now anxiously await several people chiming in on how they have waited for the uncut original...I knew it all along...blah blah)
In fairness, if you look at posts here and at the HTF (and, I think, Amazon.com reviews) when the DVD first came out, people *did* in fact note that there were scenes/lines that were different that some of the broadcasts.

I don't remember any specific posts mentioning that the original airing didn't have Kermit, but there were definitely eagle-eyed fans who noticed missing songs/dialog.
Old 07-11-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Guess I won't buy it as I fondly remember Kermit when I was growing up and his interactions with the Riverbottom Gang.

Chuck: How bout the scarf?

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 07-11-05 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-10-05, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drexl
Will this version have the lines that were cut? Like the one about falling off a dock?
Yeah, that line, and Kermit's missing epilogue in the diner were the two things I was pissed about with the last release. It just makes no sense without the dock line.

So it looks like I'll be having both versions.

I found more on this new DVD, plus the cover:

http://toughpigs.com/

Last edited by Snowmaker; 08-10-05 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-11-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Looking at that link again, why are they allowed to show Kermit in the behind-the-scenes stuff, but not in the special itself?

Old 08-13-05, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Looking at that link again, why are they allowed to show Kermit in the behind-the-scenes stuff, but not in the special itself?

I'd like to see what will become of that.

However that article states... seems to be the good news really is good. The bonus features are being produced by Craig Shemin That is major. This could be a truly great SE.
Old 11-18-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't remember Kermit being in it in the version I saw on CED videodisc back in the day, so I didn't mind that, but the loss of that line (which IS in the documentary-twice) doesn't make sense. She's supposed to say "I'd really appreciate it if you'd ... fall off a dock," but they cut it off before she says "fall." Then, we see Will Possum who says, "well, that's tellin' her, Alice."

WHAT's tellin' her?
Old 11-19-05, 09:07 AM

I'll probably buy it, but hold on to the original release.
Old 11-19-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts
hehehehhe... "jugs"
Old 11-20-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dcswirl
I'll probably buy it, but hold on to the original release.
thats what i did

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.