DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   we should all agree on buying blu-ray (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/427648-we-should-all-agree-buying-blu-ray.html)

diespine 06-21-05 04:21 AM

we should all agree on buying blu-ray

i think we should all agree to buy blu-ray so it can become the standard for the next generation faster, and we will benefit since it will become cheaper the faster it is adopted as the standard. i chose blu-ray since ps3 is going to have it and beat out hd-dvd players. and no i am not in any way associated with sony. i hope xbox beats ps3, but i don't think that will happen

Squirrel God 06-21-05 04:51 AM

I choose neither. That's the fastest ;)

pdinosaur 06-21-05 06:27 AM

pikachu, i choose you.

bluntman72 06-21-05 06:46 AM

I wont be one of the ones who adopts early and has any effect on which format wins since I am in no rush to get a new player or to start rebuying movies in HD. I will own a PS3 so I wouldnt mind Blue-Ray winning, but I will wait and see what happens.

kar10 06-21-05 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by pdinosaur
pikachu, i choose you.

Raichu, I Choose Youuu!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...a/664f6814.jpg

DVD Josh 06-21-05 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by diespine
i think we should all agree to buy blu-ray so it can become the standard for the next generation faster, and we will benefit since it will become cheaper the faster it is adopted as the standard. i chose blu-ray since ps3 is going to have it and beat out hd-dvd players. and no i am not in any way associated with sony. i hope xbox beats ps3, but i don't think that will happen

Let's review:

"I chose Blu-Ray since PS3 is going to have it"

followed by

"I hope xbox beats ps3"

Someone has been watching the Chappelle's show Rick James episode too much :D

The Bus 06-21-05 07:22 AM

I choose... None.

dsa_shea 06-21-05 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by diespine

Stay off the crack and stop worrying about what people should buy. Like these multi-billion dollar companies need any extra backing before they start the next wave of high definition releases followed by high definition super duper ultra special editions.

phatboy 06-21-05 08:10 AM

I'm gonna choose the exact opposite of everyone else.....:D2:

silentbob007 06-21-05 08:53 AM

I choose Beta ....

darkside 06-21-05 09:00 AM

Yep, I choose neither. That is by far the most inexpensive solution for me. If it all works out in a few years to one standard I'll look into it.

Giles 06-21-05 09:02 AM

but I want to enjoy my new Samsung widescreen HiDef TV - :grunt:

Big Worms 06-21-05 09:03 AM

Ummm no.

rexinnih 06-21-05 09:03 AM

Neither. That's the only way to send a message.

Eric F 06-21-05 09:25 AM

We should? What if all the titles I want are on HD-DVD?

Nick Danger 06-21-05 09:59 AM

Sony owns Blu-ray. Sony owns PS3.

PS3 uses Blu-ray. Big surprise.

Explain to me again why someone else's game should determine which movie format I watch?

Giles 06-21-05 10:20 AM

uh, maybe I'm wrong on this one, but aren't there more Playstation owners than Nintendo XBox owners - if Sony taps into the gaming world with PS3 with Blu-ray capabilities - they are the definate shoe in with the more prevailent technology.

Isn't it true that Disney is the Blu-ray camp. And if so, I think that it might benefit Blu-ray if Disney would be aggressive and release new and older films on Blu-ray to really corner the market.

LorenzoL 06-21-05 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
uh, maybe I'm wrong on this one, but aren't there more Playstation owners than Nintendo XBox owners - if Sony taps into the gaming world with PS3 with Blu-ray capabilities - they are the definate shoe in with the more prevailent technology.

Isn't it true that Disney is the Blu-ray camp. And if so, I think that it might benefit Blu-ray if Disney would be aggressive and release new and older films on Blu-ray to really corner the market.

With the exception of Warner, none of the other studios have indicated that they will limit themselves to only one format. I believe that they will keep their options open to see which format "win" at the end.

Damed 06-21-05 10:41 AM

I won't choose anything until a clear victor emerges. Even then, if it isn't backwards compatible to my existing DVD collection, I may not upgrade for a VERY long time.

Skoobooz 06-21-05 11:09 AM

In answer to the OP, thanks for your offer of deciding for me, but no. Also, isn't there already an epic thread about HD-DVD vs. Blu Ray? This thread seems unnecessary.

chemosh6969 06-21-05 11:10 AM

I like the backwards compatability of HD-DVD. I couldn't give a rats ass if Sony didn't learn the first time it entered a format war.

Some people never learn.

Duality 06-21-05 11:16 AM

SONY is downgrading standard DVD by releasing formerly FF/WS flipper discs as FF only and scene selection listed as the "Bonus Feature" - I believe this is an attempt to bully us into buying Blu-Ray. If you want your widescreen copy of movie "X" you'll now have to purchase our new HD player.

I hope SONY fails miserably with this Blu-Ray cousin of Beta, the Minidisc...

nodeerforamonth 06-21-05 11:17 AM

I choo choo choose whichever will be backwards compatable.

Atreus 06-21-05 11:19 AM

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. But don't choose a formay until they get there act together. Or at least release an affordable player that handles both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

steebo777 06-21-05 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
I choo choo choose whichever will be backwards compatable.

rotfl
http://www.geocities.com/simpsonshq2...ers/ralph1.JPG