Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Special Editions for the 4 old BATMAN movies still coming yes?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-17-05, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the old Batman Legacy crapset in the stores last week. It made me remember that werent we supposed to get a boxset of 4 Batman's but with new transfers, and extras around this time? Or am I wrong and it's gonna be with BATMAN BEGINS on DVD later this fall?

Or did the plans just die altogether?
Old 06-17-05, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
According to the British site DVDTimes, it says the new Batman Special Edition movies will be released in October to coincide with the DVD release of Batman Begins.

Unless the special features absolutely blow me away, I'll probably only buy the Keaton Batman movies and of course Batman Begins. Will most likely pass on Forever and Batman and Robin.
Old 06-17-05, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Plans are still alive, and I'm waiting for it, too.

My information is somewhat dated as I write this, but not all the DVDs are yet completed. I read a few months ago that Batman, and possibly also Batman Returns, were going to be re-released in conjunction with the theatrical debut of Batman Begins, and Batman Forever and Batman & Robin later in the year. Burton's films were close to being ready, but Schumacher needed more time. Obviously, that didn't turn out.

Best guess at this point is that there's going to be a massive Batman DVD event later in the year. All four of the previous films in their newly remastered special edition forms, probably available both individually and as a boxed set, along with the DVD premiere of Batman Begins. Sounds like a party to me!

--THX
Old 06-17-05, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Given the enormous popularity of these titles, when they are announced, there will certainly be a gigantic thread discussing them (in addition to the one that already exists). Therefore, there's no reason to start a new thread to see if they're still planned.

But every indication is telling us that there will be Batman:SEs by the end of the year.
Old 06-17-05, 09:40 AM

What's funny is that I probably would have bought these before seeing Batman: Begins. But now that I've seen the film done right I've completely lost interest.

I'd still probably be interested in a nice SE of Batman (1989).
Old 06-17-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
What's funny is that I probably would have bought these before seeing Batman: Begins. But now that I've seen the film done right I've completely lost interest.

Exactly my thoughts. Returns, Forever and Robin will never grace my collection again much less my dvd player. They are crap.
Old 06-17-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You know you're right. I was thinking about this yesterday. I probably wouldn't buy the boxset now after seeing Batman Begins. For sure, I'd pick up the first one though.
Old 06-17-05, 12:48 PM
Banned

But...but...do they come in black?
Old 06-17-05, 05:12 PM

For me it's the other way around - seeing Batman Begins made me realize just how good the Burton movies were.
Old 06-18-05, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Temujen
For me it's the other way around - seeing Batman Begins made me realize just how good the Burton movies were.

Ditto -- bring on these releases!
Old 06-18-05, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll grab the first one definitely. If there's a cheap boxed set, I may keep Forever (haven't seen it since it was in the theaters... need to give it another spin). But Returns and "and Robin" won't be staying around...
Old 06-18-05, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
Given the enormous popularity of these titles, when they are announced, there will certainly be a gigantic thread discussing them (in addition to the one that already exists). Therefore, there's no reason to start a new thread to see if they're still planned.
I'm glad this thread was started since I was wondering the exact same thing.
Old 06-18-05, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What would be REALLY cool, IMO, is a big set that comes with all five films, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, and a bunch of extras.
Old 06-18-05, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
What would be REALLY cool, IMO, is a big set that comes with all five films, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, and a bunch of extras.
Might as well include the other animated Batman films too then
Old 06-18-05, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll pick up the inevitable boxset of the four films since I'd buy the first three individually anyway. It will probably be cheaper and get a cool box to boot.
Old 06-18-05, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My answer to the question might as well be "who cares" after seeing Batman Begins. I think I'm just going to stick with the current versions I own of the first two. Batman ain't holding up so well, but the Returns DVD still has nice video and audio. I'm still a bit unsure as to why they didn't bother with a re-release to coincide with the theatrical release of Begins. I might have actually bought the new versions before I went to see the new movie, but now, nope.
Old 06-18-05, 09:32 AM

I'm still a bit unsure as to why they didn't bother with a re-release to coincide with the theatrical release of Begins.
They probably knew how bad Begins is and were afraid it would look even worse if too many people had rewatched the Burton movies before seeing it.
Old 06-18-05, 11:21 AM

They probably knew how bad Begins is and were afraid it would look even worse if too many people had rewatched the Burton movies before seeing it.

I'd be very happy to own Special Editions of Batman and Batman Returns. The other pair? Not so much.
Old 06-18-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
If you're going to put in Mask of the Phantasm, you can't very well leave out Return of the Joker. It's at least as good if not better.
Old 06-18-05, 12:47 PM

I absolutely agree with this. Batman is one of my favourite comic book characters and I really resented the direction Hollywood had taken with the Dark Knight with Schumacher at the helm. His vision was not Batman, IMO. Being the completist that I am, I bought the Batman Legacy box set, but I still haven't even touched Batman Forever, and Batman & Robin yet. I will not be buying the Special Editions of Batman since I don't double dip, but also because Batman Begins has set the standard so high that it would be a real disappointment to come back to BF and B&R.
Old 06-18-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Temujen
Apparently you have not watched Batman Begins yet. It is the most faithful comic adaptation of Batman to ever grace the big screen. I'm sorry but BB puts the Burton movies to shame.
Old 06-18-05, 11:19 PM

Hi. What format in the 4 movies in the Batma Legacy set? I was looking at the price on the website of a brick and mortor store and they list it as Full Screen.. From what I can find, the movies were released in Widescreen?
Thanks

Originally Posted by Masamune
I saw the old Batman Legacy crapset in the stores last week. It made me remember that werent we supposed to get a boxset of 4 Batman's but with new transfers, and extras around this time? Or am I wrong and it's gonna be with BATMAN BEGINS on DVD later this fall?

Or did the plans just die altogether?
Old 06-19-05, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by johnsun
Hi. What format in the 4 movies in the Batma Legacy set? I was looking at the price on the website of a brick and mortor store and they list it as Full Screen.. From what I can find, the movies were released in Widescreen?
Thanks
My Batman and Batman Returns discs have Widescreen on one side and Fullscreen on the other.
Old 06-19-05, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by johnsun
Thanks
All of them have both full screen and anamorphic widescreen transfers. Batman Forever and Batman Returns don't look that bad, but the original and Batman and Robin could both use some work. All of them have 5.1 mixes, with Forever probably being the best sounding.
Old 06-19-05, 04:57 AM

I for one hope they are released individually so I can pick up the Burton films. I haven't seen Begins yet; it looked to me like similar territory to the early Batman Animated Series, which is, to me, the best incarnation of Batman, including the comics. Flame away, I don't care. The only comics I've ever liked are the Miller books and Moore/Bolland's Killing Joke. Maybe some issues of early Legends of the Dark Knight. So for me, Burton's films are fine. I'm more a Burton fan than a Bat fan. I really hope it won't be a boxset only.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.