DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   DVD Beaver (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/426900-dvd-beaver.html)

Daniel L 06-15-05 03:10 AM

DVD Beaver
 
DVD Beaver appears to be in a bit of financial trouble. The message displayed on the website < http://www.dvdbeaver.com explains it better than I can. This is truly sad news for me and I hope things get up and running again soon. Their picture comparisons and reviews of foreign / obscure films made this site a daily visit for me. I miss it already. As much as I'd like to donate to help them out, I'm still a bit hesitant to do so. Has anyone heard any news about this?

Hank1215 06-15-05 04:25 AM

You visit the site daily and do not think it's worth giving them a couple of bucks to help them out? They are less than $400 short of renewing their server and are rejecting donations over $25.00. Even if they had to close down, five or ten bucks for the service the site has provided is well worth it.

pagansoul 06-15-05 07:37 AM

I have never been to the site, what was it like?

JLyon1515 06-15-05 09:20 AM

Donation sent. I've done it before, I'll do it again if the need arises in the future. It really is a great site to compare video/audio/extras for different releases of the same DVD.

andicus 06-15-05 09:22 AM

Why be hesitant? It's not like it's a scam, or anything. I rarely buy a DVD without checking there first.

pagansoul, among other things it provides a great comparison between different releases and/or regions of DVD's. The comparisons include still frames as well as descriptions of differences (editing, etc), bitrates, general info, etc. It's an extremely useful tool if you're not sure which version of a particular title to get. There are many other useful things on the site, but the above is my main use.

The Bus 06-15-05 09:23 AM

I know Gary checks this forum out often, but there's better options than hosting for $400 for a year.

Gary, if you read this, email me @ odel at fantastic damage (.com). Depending on your bandwidth requirements, you may be paying too much.

buckee1 06-15-05 10:04 AM

Donation made. DVDBeaver is to great a resource to slip away for any reason let alone $400.

FilmFanSea 06-15-05 10:27 AM


Originally Posted by pagansoul
I have never been to the site, what was it like?

A sampling from DVD Beaver:

The Matrix comparison
Kurosawa's Ran comparison
Lawrence of Arabia comparison

I made my contribution, and encourage others to do the same to keep this essential site going ...

eXcentris 06-15-05 10:42 AM

Contribution made.

andicus 06-15-05 11:14 AM


Originally Posted by The Bus
I know Gary checks this forum out often, but there's better options than hosting for $400 for a year.

Gary, if you read this, email me @ odel at fantastic damage (.com). Depending on your bandwidth requirements, you may be paying too much.

I would imagine that dvdbeaver.com recieves a substantial amount of traffic, and I always find it to be quite responsive, so changing hosts might not be in the sites best interest if enough people can pitch in and cover the $400.

pro-bassoonist 06-15-05 12:22 PM


Originally Posted by JLyon1515
Donation sent. I've done it before, I'll do it again if the need arises in the future. It really is a great site to compare video/audio/extras for different releases of the same DVD.

:up:

Pro-B

lotsofdvds 06-15-05 01:12 PM

Their main page seems to indicate that the crisis is over.

billy9215 06-15-05 02:55 PM


Originally Posted by Daniel L
This is truly sad news for me and I hope things get up and running again soon. Their picture comparisons and reviews of foreign / obscure films made this site a daily visit for me. I miss it already. As much as I'd like to donate to help them out, I'm still a bit hesitant to do so. Has anyone heard any news about this?


Congrats, you win the hypocrite of the year award...

joshualane 06-15-05 07:16 PM


Originally Posted by The Bus
I know Gary checks this forum out often, but there's better options than hosting for $400 for a year.

Not when you're doing 50+ GB's in transfer a month... which is what I assume that site does (could be more, could be less). ~$33 a month for hosting is pretty decent.

Zenigata 06-17-05 12:12 AM

$20 a month will get you 100 GB monthly transfer at 1and1. $10 will get you 50 at iPowerWeb.

PopcornTreeCt 06-17-05 01:16 AM


Originally Posted by billy9215
Congrats, you win the hypocrite of the year award...

Nah, I still think that goes to Brad Pitt for his primetime interview a week ago.

Stromboli 06-19-05 08:14 PM

I had never been to DVDbeaver till today. Thanks, guys....

Buford T Pusser 06-19-05 11:37 PM

I'll have to check that site out.

Daniel L 06-19-05 11:46 PM


Congrats, you win the hypocrite of the year award...
Thank you, I really appreciate that. I really love the site, but I can't just Paypal 25 bucks to everyone who needs to pay their bills. I'm really getting tired of starting legitimate threads only to be met with jerkoff responses.

NatrlBornThrllr 06-19-05 11:48 PM


Originally Posted by Daniel L
Thank you, I really appreciate that. I really love the site, but I can't just Paypal 25 bucks to everyone who needs to pay their bills. I'm really getting tired of starting legitimate threads only to be met with jerkoff responses.

You visit daily. Given that, you're part of the reason they have bills.

-JP

Daniel L 06-20-05 01:12 AM


You visit daily. Given that, you're part of the reason they have bills.
Even so, the decision to donate is mine. DVD Beaver is a great site and I wanted to let people know about its situation. That was the point of this topic. I wasn't asking people to donate. I'm not sure why so many people latched onto my one line about being "a bit hesitant" and felt that I needed to be insulted or whatever. The site is back now, I hope you're all proud. Continue with your coy responses or whatever, I'll know better than to make mention of such an instance next time.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.