DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Is this too anal? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/426898-too-anal.html)

dvd_buyer 06-28-05 12:27 AM

Well, I was at Best Buy and I bought a widescreen movie on DVD, they only had two titles of this DVD left. The snapper case was crushed and looked like the jacket was torn and water damaged. Also the front cover had a vertical box cutter cut that cut right through to the case plastic. Must have been the top DVD inside the box? The employee there cracked opened the case to see if the disc was o.k. The case spindle was broken and bits of case plastic feel out in pieces and the disc was a floater. As the employee opened the case, the disc fell out onto the floor rolling a bit down the aisle. The disc was hard to pick up off the floor since the guy had short fingernails, so the disc slid on the floor a bit until he picked it up. Also somebody stepped on it in the process. The guy rubbed off the dirt off the disc by rubbing it on his shirt. I also noticed that the dvd spindle had a crack in it. Just has he was about to ring it in, a customer inquired about an order he had. The guy took a scrap of paper and wrote a bunch of stuff on the paper for the customer about his order after looking it up on the system. Sure enough he wrote this order on the paper on top of my dvd case, so shows on the case now.

I asked the guy if I could get a better copy of the DVD whenever they got more in and he said, "don't be so anal man, the DVD is fine." So lesson learned, doesn't pay to be so anal.

Masamune 06-28-05 01:15 AM

Prob depends how noticeable it was, and on what color. On black sure, but if can barley notice it...

Then again who am I to talk lol..

calhoun07 06-28-05 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by The Ferret
I was joking.

Wow. Good one.

calhoun07 06-28-05 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by dvd_buyer
Well, I was at Best Buy and I bought a widescreen movie on DVD, they only had two titles of this DVD left. The snapper case was crushed and looked like the jacket was torn and water damaged. Also the front cover had a vertical box cutter cut that cut right through to the case plastic. Must have been the top DVD inside the box? The employee there cracked opened the case to see if the disc was o.k. The case spindle was broken and bits of case plastic feel out in pieces and the disc was a floater. As the employee opened the case, the disc fell out onto the floor rolling a bit down the aisle. The disc was hard to pick up off the floor since the guy had short fingernails, so the disc slid on the floor a bit until he picked it up. Also somebody stepped on it in the process. The guy rubbed off the dirt off the disc by rubbing it on his shirt. I also noticed that the dvd spindle had a crack in it. Just has he was about to ring it in, a customer inquired about an order he had. The guy took a scrap of paper and wrote a bunch of stuff on the paper for the customer about his order after looking it up on the system. Sure enough he wrote this order on the paper on top of my dvd case, so shows on the case now.

I asked the guy if I could get a better copy of the DVD whenever they got more in and he said, "don't be so anal man, the DVD is fine." So lesson learned, doesn't pay to be so anal.

If Groucho was long winded....

sldvd 06-28-05 05:50 PM

I asked the guy if I could get a better copy of the DVD whenever they got more in and he said, "don't be so anal man, the DVD is fine."

How would he know?! Did he try to play it? Also, you could have told him that it was going to be a gift, and that you didn't want to give a torn/cut dvd case that might as well have been pissed on, along with a disc with footprints on it from someone who might as well have just stepped in dog crap.

sldvd 06-28-05 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by dvd182
Yes, but you gave them an opened dvd, so I would imagine that it's only fair that you get an opened one back (unless you know there are floaters inside, then a sealed exchange is fine).

But if I exchange anything that's not a CD/DVD/video game/computer software, they will give me a new item and NOT open the package. So the same should apply to DVDs/CDs/etc. Why does it matter to the store if I remove the wrapping in the store or at home? It makes no difference to them.

SuprVgeta 06-28-05 06:59 PM

Nope, I would've wanted a new DVD as well.

CertifiedTHX 06-28-05 07:56 PM

Lesson rejected. People are free to think of me however they wish. There is no way in hell I would have ever accepted that DVD, or taken that attitude from the employee. For crying out loud, he might as well have played a game of frisbee with the DVD while he was at it! My selections must meet specific criteria, or I will not hand over the plastic. Period.

--THX

The Ferret 06-28-05 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Wow. Good one.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings pal.

I just got The Third Man today and the plastic will not scratch off in one place! Hard to explain, but it's so damn frustrating.

kanamit 06-29-05 12:07 AM

There is no such thing as "too anal" when dealing with such bleeding anuses.
It's the golden rule run amok.

Do NOT do unto the property of others as you would that they should do unto yours.
Tastes may differ.

Even if I had the habit of treating my own discs like frisbees (which I don't),
I would handle someone else's like nitroglycerin. It's called consideration.