DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Is this too anal? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/426898-too-anal.html)

packaok 06-19-05 11:43 AM

In the process of trying to get my local Wal*Mart to price match Friends Season 9, the lady at the register placed a blank piece of paper on top of the set and wrote the Wal*Mart price and the competitor's price on it. Needless to say, the imprint of the writing was left on the case.

After getting the match (which was a bit of a struggle, so I didn't want to push my luck by asking for a different copy), I left the store and put the set in my car. I then went back inside and purchased another copy (non-price matched). I took it to my car, swapped it out for the damaged one, and returned the damaged one with the full-price receipt for a refund.

So, no, that isn't too anal...

sldvd 06-19-05 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Sure it makes sense. It stops people from buying an item (such as a CD or DVD) and duplicating it and then returning it for a refund. It may be inconvienent for you and many others but its a necessary practice.

Oh, now I get what you're saying. If someone wants to exchange an OPENED item, then Best Buy will open up the exchanged item for you. That makes sense.

I need to exchange an item that's still UNOPENED, so that's why I didn't think it made any sense for them to open the exchanged item.

The Ferret 06-19-05 02:05 PM

This thread supports my idea that dvd collecting is a disease.

calhoun07 06-19-05 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Ferret
This thread supports my idea that dvd collecting is a disease.

If you are going to take that position, then you'd have to place ALL collectors in that "diseased" category of yours. Whether it be DVDs, comic books, stamps, coins, dolls, frogs, Franklin Mint, what have you, the collector of those given items will want the item they buy in the best condition possible. Let's just take coins for example: what commands a higher dollar amount? An uncirculated mint coin or one that has a few scratches and dirt on it because it sat in somebody's pocket and was passed around a few times? It's a no brainer, if you ask me. If you are not a collector, and you cannot possibly connect to this kind of thinking, then calling it a disease, to me anyway, is just being a tad judgmental.

gutwrencher 06-19-05 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by The_Infidel
In response to the snotty employee, I would have asked for a manager and bitched until I received a discount.

Is this not a no-brainer? Do most people really let idots get away with shit? Most do because of a lazy factor, or, they really just don't give a shit.

In my business, we are ranked #1 statewide in service and customer satisfaction, so maybe it's easy for me to at least expect the same from those I give my dollars to. Since my job is physically tougher than most, I demand that employees at other places get off their asses and use common sense, which in this situation, the employee you dealt with obviously lacks. That employee needs to learn to keep his piehole shut and the manager needs to wake up and offer a coupon of discount or something. When I bring things like this to the attention of those in charge, I usually always get something. Not that I'm wanting anything, but after watching a moron do something stupid or say something smart-ass, it's the least they can do. After all, they are wasting my time, yes?

I'd rather have them do the proper thing and then I don't have to stand there telling them how to do things.

Pressed too hard on my dvd case because you were not using your head? Then order me another and give me a few bucks off. Whats the big deal? If you have to fight for such a response...then thats whats anal, don't ya think?-rolleyes-

Squirrel God 06-19-05 06:17 PM

I would've only accepted it at a substantial discount. If not, I wouldn't have waited for them to order me another one. Would've gone elsewhere.

sldvd 06-26-05 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by djtoell
Stores often only allow an exchange if you return an opened item. If they gave you back an unopened item, you could turn around and return it for money, defeating the purpose of their policy.

Couldn't they just mark up your receipt (or print out a new one) so that it indicates that you have exchanged the item? Then they could have a policy that says once you exchange a DVD, you can no longer return it. So if you try to go back and return the unopened DVD, they will look at your receipt and say "Nice try, but you already exchanged this before."

Lonestar9 06-26-05 08:40 PM

I gotta speak up and say, yeap, too anal....:)
That's just my humble opinion though, to each his own....I'm not anal about the darn dvd's, I have some just laying on top of each other right now, I buy several used ones all the time, most are fine, but sometimes there are nicked cases, and what not...I let people borrow them...to me, they are just movies to be enjoyed, no big deal to me if they are not in prestine condition...

Drexl 06-26-05 11:25 PM

I'd really have to see the imprint to decide. How big is it? Is it really noticeable from a certain distance? Is it a special case so you couldn't just replace the keepcase? (If something was "imprinted" on a typical DVD, sometimes you could just put the cover art in a new keepcase and it wouldn't be as noticeable.) TLA looks like a dark but multicolored cover, so it would seem that an imprint would be less noticeable... hmm.

danwiz 06-27-05 02:06 AM

Well, after seeing this thred hang out here for how long, a week or 10 days?, I gotta make my comment. Was the DVD in question really a "collector's" must have? I mean - somebody made the comment above that compared DVD collector's to comic book collector's coin collector's, etc. but is this truly the case? I mean - is my copy of "(whatever average DVD which had 1,000,000+ produced)" ever actually going to be something that a collector will pay hundred's of dollars for - like a rare coin or a rare comic book? I mean - maybe someday it might be, but the chances are very slim. And even if that were to come true, then by then the writing in the case will probably have rebounded - at least somewhat. So, to me --- yes, it's too anal.

Tyler_Durden 06-27-05 03:11 AM

I wouldn't particularly like it but would just let it be.

Qui Gon Jim 06-27-05 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by sldvd
Couldn't they just mark up your receipt (or print out a new one) so that it indicates that you have exchanged the item? Then they could have a policy that says once you exchange a DVD, you can no longer return it. So if you try to go back and return the unopened DVD, they will look at your receipt and say "Nice try, but you already exchanged this before."

What if you have another defective item?

Brett44 06-27-05 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by danwiz
I mean - is my copy of "(whatever average DVD which had 1,000,000+ produced)" ever actually going to be something that a collector will pay hundred's of dollars for - like a rare coin or a rare comic book? I mean - maybe someday it might be, but the chances are very slim.

God no, most if not all DVDs lose the majority of their value as soon as they're opened. The vast majority of DVDs in most homes will be worth a buck or two in the next decade or so. There will always be exceptions, certain Disney titles or Salo for example are worth a decent amount of money. Somehow I doubt I'll put my kids through college with a copy of Bambi, no matter how "rare" it is though. And let's face it, a truly rare dvd would be one where 100-150 copies were produced. Once you get into the tens of thousands, as far as I'm concerned it's no longer rare.

Take care,
Brett

Nick Danger 06-27-05 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by gutwrencher
Is this not a no-brainer? Do most people really let idots get away with shit? Most do because of a lazy factor, or, they really just don't give a shit.

In my business, we are ranked #1 statewide in service and customer satisfaction, so maybe it's easy for me to at least expect the same from those I give my dollars to. Since my job is physically tougher than most, I demand that employees at other places get off their asses and use common sense, which in this situation, the employee you dealt with obviously lacks.

I would argue that this is a whole different order of magnitude. Calhoun is buying a DVD. If one of your employees screws up, the result could be a broken Tiffany lamp or a damaged painting of grandma.

Mrs Danger works in picture framing shops. She has seen customers whip out a check start writing it on someone else's ARTWORK.

Preacher 06-27-05 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Shagrath
I'd do the exact same thing.

Damn right.

knicks1980 06-27-05 10:38 AM

my personal retort would have been "and Oh, you're a real bitch"[/QUOTE]

and that would not have been clever at all...

yeah that's a bit much about the dvd case.

Texasgingersnap 06-27-05 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by freudguy
Too anal? ..... My butt actually puckered like a kid eating lemons.

Eeeeuuuuuuuuu........ T.M.I.!!

I got the visual!!

And again.........eeeeeuuuuuuuu..........

Texasgingersnap 06-27-05 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
.... and the guy who was waiting on me said, "I'm anal about my DVDs but not that anal!"

Anal is good. Some of my best friends are anal. Come to think of it, we all have an anal, don't we? Just some of us tend to show our analness more forcefully than others...... good job, I'd of done the same.

As to the clerk (God that was a funny movie!), picture this: he's young, dumb and full of you-know-what.....he's got his eye on either that cute co-worker or so chickie cruising the isles and is thinking how'd he like to you-know-what her. I doubt he was vicious in his carelessness, just working for min. wage and thinking about the weekend and getting laid and getting wasted....probably in that order! Then along comes HIS BOSS who is ultimately more mature, probably married and getting some regularily (in theory anyway), and knowledgable about how the customer might not always be right, but he's always got the moola which is the whole purpose of the exercise. The moral of this story is, you stuck to your guns and on one can fault you for your principles. :clap:

Texasgingersnap 06-27-05 11:35 AM

Well, after seeing this thred hang out here for how long, a week or 10 days?, I gotta make my comment. Was the DVD in question really a "collector's" must have? I mean - somebody made the comment above that compared DVD collector's to comic book collector's coin collector's, etc. but is this truly the case? I mean - is my copy of "(whatever average DVD which had 1,000,000+ produced)" ever actually going to be something that a collector will pay hundred's of dollars for - like a rare coin or a rare comic book? I mean - maybe someday it might be, but the chances are very slim. And even if that were to come true, then by then the writing in the case will probably have rebounded - at least somewhat. So, to me --- yes, it's too anal.

And IMHO you're rong, rong, rong....... and I'll tell you why....

It doesn't matter if it's a mass produced POS or a one of a kind sacred jewel, the point is he bought and paid for it in good faith and expected it to be NEW. It's not anal to expect something of value for value given.

sldvd 06-27-05 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
What if you have another defective item?

Then they should still let you exchange it, but they shouldn't let you return it.

Demontooth 06-27-05 03:09 PM

Some of you would drop dead if you saw my collection, we rarely buy new and wait for the Movie Gallery buy 2 get 2 free sales and stock up then. Needless to say, more than half of my collection is covered in price stickers and movie gallery stickers. I sleep like a baby at night.

calhoun07 06-27-05 06:52 PM

Most comics today won't be worth much either, but people still want them in good condition. And while, as others have pointed out, our DVD collections won't secure our retirement funds, I do have to say that I think this DVD will be a collectible. It's a limited edition, as far as I know. The single disc version of Life Aquatic is mass produced, but this two disc version will likely go out of print before long, and it is a Criterion. Let's say I passed this up now, and decided I wanted it later on, after it's out of the stores and out of print. What would I have to pay for a hard to find, out of print Criterion. I would consistently be higher than the SRP on any given day, whether it was still sealed or not.

My re-order of this came in. I looked at it, and I noticed they had bent up the corner of the box bad. And then there was a place where there was a sticker, I think some kind of coupon offer or something, that wasn't there, and left some kind of residue on the case. I didn't say a word, a single solitary word, as I put it back and left. I ordered it cheaper at Deep Discount DVD.com, and I know that I am taking a roulette's wheel of a chance I might get a disatisfacory copy from them, but I have had better luck at getting DVDs with this slip case over the keep case in better condition from online stores like this than I have had in getting them from brick and mortar stores. I will go back to that store and politely ask for my $5.00 prepayment back for the DVD because I found it cheaper elsewhere.

Joe Molotov 06-27-05 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Demontooth
Some of you would drop dead if you saw my collection, we rarely buy new and wait for the Movie Gallery buy 2 get 2 free sales and stock up then. Needless to say, more than half of my collection is covered in price stickers and movie gallery stickers. I sleep like a baby at night.

That's generally what I do too. I buy a few obscure or "Must-Have" titles new, but all the new release movies I just wait to pick up used at Hastings "Buy 2 get 1 for $0.01" or Movie Gallery's "Buy 2 get 2 free", and then I just use Goo Gone to get rid of the stickers. I got Life Aquatic: 2-Disc Criterion the other day for $6.67. No slip sleeve at all, but the inner cover looks better anyway.

The Ferret 06-27-05 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
If you are going to take that position, then you'd have to place ALL collectors in that "diseased" category of yours. Whether it be DVDs, comic books, stamps, coins, dolls, frogs, Franklin Mint, what have you, the collector of those given items will want the item they buy in the best condition possible. Let's just take coins for example: what commands a higher dollar amount? An uncirculated mint coin or one that has a few scratches and dirt on it because it sat in somebody's pocket and was passed around a few times? It's a no brainer, if you ask me. If you are not a collector, and you cannot possibly connect to this kind of thinking, then calling it a disease, to me anyway, is just being a tad judgmental.

I was joking.

dvd182 06-27-05 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by sldvd

Yes, but you gave them an opened dvd, so I would imagine that it's only fair that you get an opened one back (unless you know there are floaters inside, then a sealed exchange is fine).