Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Eraserhead now available at your local store. Lynch news.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from davis dvd

Eraserhead

David Lynch's masterpiece Eraserhead will be available in wider distribution. Previously available only through the filmmaker's official website, Eraserhad is now being made available to retailers around the country through online wholesaler IndieBuyer.net. Retailers can order the film, which is being offered along with the bonus disc "The Short Films of David Lynch," now. Shipping is due to begin July 1st.
Old 06-07-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

MSRP?
Old 06-07-05, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just read this too. great news, especially with the short films as a bonus disc. hopefully the price will be much more reasonable now.
Old 06-07-05, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

actually the MSRP seems to be $75.86 on this. so the only real savings will be based on not having to pay the high shipping cost from the lynch site. and maybe an additional 10% off retail if any stores actually decide to stock this.
Old 06-07-05, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by scarredgod
actually the MSRP seems to be $75.86 on this. so the only real savings will be based on not having to pay the high shipping cost from the lynch site. and maybe an additional 10% off retail if any stores actually decide to stock this.
Well that is something I guess.
Old 06-07-05, 06:12 AM

Considering that I have both of them already and paid enough for them, it doesn't make me feel too bad seeing that price tag.
Old 06-07-05, 06:25 AM
Cool New Member

$80 for a DVD? That is craziness! I would love to see Eraserhead, but I'm just gonna Netflix it.
Old 06-07-05, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i just read this too. great news, especially with the short films as a bonus disc. hopefully the price will be much more reasonable now.
Along with the packaging as well i expect making it a whole lot easier to store on your standard dvd shelf etc.
Out of curiosity i wonder whether these editions being supplied to the retailers will include resized copies of the booklets included in the David Lynch.com versions given the fact the 'Short Films' is to be included in the set?

Last edited by RichDB10; 06-07-05 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-07-05, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by RyanPC
$80 for a DVD? That is craziness! I would love to see Eraserhead, but I'm just gonna Netflix it.
Incidentally, Netflix just started carrying it this week -- I wonder if this is related?
Old 06-07-05, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Great news!!!
Old 06-07-05, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, if you look at the link, it looks like they will be the same size. Maybe that's my eyes playing tricks on me, but I don't think they'll be re-sized (unfortunately...I'd love to be proven wrong).
Old 06-07-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

With the link being http://indiebuyer.net/ibn/login. Scroll down to the pictures.
Old 06-07-05, 09:24 AM

I love that they're calling the Short Films DVD a "bonus disc" This is just the boxset of the two DVDs. That's why it's $80. $40 for each DVD, just like it was on DL.com.
Old 06-07-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
Actually, if you look at the link, it looks like they will be the same size. Maybe that's my eyes playing tricks on me, but I don't think they'll be re-sized (unfortunately...I'd love to be proven wrong).
Very true!....i mistakenly assumed that in some way the discs would be repackaged and not just identical to those already available at DL.com
Interestingly the 'I Don't Knock Jack' release seems different to the one offered over at DL.com

Another thing, is this going to be available to only certain U.S retailers given that on DL.com they aren't able to provide 'Eraserhead' to the European market until 2006?...or by providing to retailers who may ship internationally does this mean this is now readily available globally?
Old 06-07-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Are these available on David Lynch's website still?
Old 06-07-05, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll pass. Still.

Give these a decent keepcase and a reasonably priced release, and I'll definitely pick them up. However, $40 apiece for two discs that will look out of place among the rest of my DVD's...I can live without that.

-JP
Old 06-07-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do people really care if a DVD "looks out of place"? That's kind of insane.

Everybody complained about the cost of these DVDs but considering the fact that Laserdics were hundreds of dollars, plus the time put into remastering these, I don't think that that's an unreasonable price.

I'm pretty sure that this distro company offers the DVDs to retailers for something like $31 bucks instead of $38 (plus shipping) that the web site sells to consumers.
Old 06-07-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
About damn time!
Old 06-07-05, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
Do people really care if a DVD "looks out of place"? That's kind of insane.
Yes. I have 700 titles. Each and every one of them are in similar cases, on towers with cubby-holes built specifically to house DVD's. I take pride in my collection and it's presentation...as do a lot of people. This case would stick out like a sore thumb. If every other manufacturer and studio can stick with a uniform case-design, there's no reason these folks can't.

Everybody complained about the cost of these DVDs but considering the fact that Laserdics were hundreds of dollars, plus the time put into remastering these, I don't think that that's an unreasonable price.
But these aren't Laserdiscs, they're DVD's.

The above paragraph is comparable to, "I don't know why you're bitching about the fact that I'm trying to sell you my Hundai for $35,000. An early 90's Ferrari will set you back $90,000 or so. Plus, the gas milage and reliability of this car...I don't think it's an unreasonable price."

DVD's are a mass-market item, and are priced as such. Laserdiscs weren't. Apples and oranges.

Criterion puts just as much time, if not more, into remastering some of their DVD titles, and for a 1-disc release you're looking at an MSRP of $29.99. Two discs will set you back $39.99 MSRP. To reach a retail of $40 from Criterion, who puts in the same amount of effort that went into this release (and sometimes more), you'd end up going home with a well-presented 3-disc set.

Your DVD/Laserdisc analogy is ignorant. This disc is overpriced...period.

-JP

Edit: typo

Last edited by NatrlBornThrllr; 06-07-05 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-07-05, 05:06 PM

NatrlBornThrllr,

Unfortunately on this point you are pretty incorrect in your statements. Yes, it is overpriced but you don't know the factors behind the release of the DVD. This DVD was released behind David Lynch's own money, a long process of remastering to get it perfect, he had it remastered and didn't like it so he did it again, he had to have spent plenty of money on the disc. Granted I know Lynch isn't starving but he wants to recoup costs. If you are a large Eraserhead fan you will pay whatever he wants for Eraserhead and he realizes that. He released a very nice package for this film when he didn't even need to do that, he included extras and a very captivating box along with the film when he could have just presented the transfer and that was it. The fans would have bought it all the same, just because it is not cheap enough for you fine don't buy it, but you do not need to trash it either. The box is a problem for you? They make amarays to buy, put the disc in one, tons of customly made disc art for Eraserhead is available. That is my two cents, thanks.

Last edited by cfloyd3; 06-07-05 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-07-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But didn't Criterion want to release Eraserhead? In other words, he didn't have to put all the money into it himself. Does anyone know the details of why he pulled away from Criterion? I heard it was because a rumor about the release had leaked to the press, and Lynch was unhappy about that.
Old 06-07-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cfloyd3
NatrlBornThrllr,

Unfortunately on this point you are pretty incorrect in your statements. Yes, it is overpriced but you don't know the factors behind the release of the DVD. This DVD was released behind David Lynch's own money, a long process of remastering to get it perfect, he had it remastered and didn't like it so he did it again, he had to have spent plenty of money on the disc. Granted I know Lynch isn't starving but he wants to recoup costs. If you are a large Eraserhead fan you will pay whatever he wants for Eraserhead and he realizes that.
I dsiagree. If he knocked off $20 from the price, he'd sell considerably more of them and probably make even more money. I'm a huge fan of the movie and I'll pass at that price.
Old 06-07-05, 05:22 PM

I saw eraserhead in college, and loved it. Yes I would like to own it on DVD, but not for the asking price of $80.00 I work hard for my money, and this title will get a pass on by me. I guess netflix will have to do
Old 06-07-05, 05:27 PM

It is $80 for The Short Films and Eraserhead together. I believe you are confusing that, it could now pop up from retailers for a more reasonable price because it would this site sells in quantity so retailers will get deals. The price of Eraserhead on the site is $40.
Old 06-07-05, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by cfloyd3
NatrlBornThrllr,

Unfortunately on this point you are pretty incorrect in your statements. Yes, it is overpriced but
Should be the end of the conversation, since we agree that it's overpriced, but I'll respond anyway...

(...) you don't know the factors behind the release of the DVD.
Sure I do. Don't make assumptions.

This DVD was released behind David Lynch's own money, a long process of remastering to get it perfect, he had it remastered and didn't like it so he did it again, he had to have spent plenty of money on the disc. Granted I know Lynch isn't starving but he wants to recoup costs. If you are a large Eraserhead fan you will pay whatever he wants for Eraserhead and he realizes that. He released a very nice package for this film when he didn't even need to do that, he included extras and a very captivating box along with the film when he could have just presented the transfer and that was it. The fans would have bought it all the same, just because it is not cheap enough to blind buy it, that is too bad don't buy it.
Criterion came up with an astounding transfer of a film once considered to have been completely destroyed, and lost forever. It's a two-disc set, with plenty of extras, and one of the best packaging displays you're likely to see. The MSRP is $39.99, and it retails for less. Difficult transfers and loads of extras can be attained, produced, and distributed for reasonable prices...especially when there are no middle-men (this disc goes from David Lynch to the consumer, with no retailer taking a substantial cut. As such, he doesn't need the outrageous pricetag to recoup his costs). Not to mention, nobody asked him to produce and distribute the DVD's himself.

Regarding your "an Eraserhead fan will pay whatever they ask for the disc" comment...that's true, and that's the reason the disc is priced at the point that it is. On the same token, a casual fan won't...and Lynch is alienating thousands upon thousands of potential buyers by selling it for as much as he is. It's highly possible that he could turn a bigger profit with a more reasonable price.

Oh, and your "that is too bad don't buy it" comment, though expected, is unnecessary...as in my first post in this thread I went out of my way to say that I wouldn't be purchasing it.

The box is a problem for you? They make amarays to buy, put the disc in one, tons of customly made disc art for Eraserhead is available. That is my two cents, thanks.
I don't have a decent printer.

...in the end, the disc is overpriced. There's no denying that. You even admitted as much. So, I'm not sure what exactly it is we're debating about here...

-JP

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.