Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Eraserhead now available at your local store. Lynch news.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Eraserhead now available at your local store. Lynch news.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-06, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"properly" is just how much brightness (or lack of) lynch wants you to watch eraserhead with. he had in mind those contrasts when he made the film, and doesn't want someone to miss out on his work due to the factory settings of their t.v. (which usually aren't optimal). anyway, the way it works is that you turn your brightness all the way down (very dark) and then slowly turn it up until an image comes into view. as soon as you can clearly make out the image, that is your optimal brightness (or so says david).
Old 01-11-06, 02:36 PM

Is it different than the settings from VE? As in, if I don't feel like fiddling with the settings of my calibrated TV, would I not be able to see something or is it the same as the pluge bar?
Old 01-12-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
The brightness test patterns on the Eraserhead DVD are not correct. When I used them, they forced me to raise my brightness significantly over my default calibration, and the picture looked very washed out. With my normal settings, the disc looked fine. I would not put much stock in that portion of the disc if you're already calibrated with DVE/Avia.
Old 01-13-06, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just like how they tell you to turn the lights off....
Old 01-13-06, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The brightness test patterns on the Eraserhead DVD are not correct. When I used them, they forced me to raise my brightness significantly over my default calibration, and the picture looked very washed out. With my normal settings, the disc looked fine. I would not put much stock in that portion of the disc if you're already calibrated with DVE/Avia.
Well, the test on the DVD sounds like it's very subjective. How clearly are we to see the image before we settle on what Lynch deems is the ideal setting to see his picture with?
Old 01-13-06, 09:54 AM

Hmm, I'm wondering if maybe you'll miss something in the background with normal settings.

I remember the band Flotsam and Jetsam had a video like that. If you turned your brightness all the way up there was like a whole other video playing in the background.
Old 01-13-06, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gbub
Hmm, I'm wondering if maybe you'll miss something in the background with normal settings.

I remember the band Flotsam and Jetsam had a video like that. If you turned your brightness all the way up there was like a whole other video playing in the background.
Eraserhead is a dark movie, to be sure, but it's not consciously designed to hide something unless you crank the brightness [insert obligatory comment about Laura Harring's nude scene in Mulholland Drive here].

It's possible you may see more shadow detail if you crank the brightness, but the settings on the disc's test patterns cause the black levels to completely wash out on my projector, and I know that certainly wasn't intended.
Old 01-13-06, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slowcloud
Well, the test on the DVD sounds like it's very subjective. How clearly are we to see the image before we settle on what Lynch deems is the ideal setting to see his picture with?
You know, I wouldn't put it past him to just be screwing with us!