Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Sometimes you find a deal in the most unlikely place...

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-03-05, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was at a funfair for my daughter's school, where they had a silent auction. I won an unopened Deadwood boxset for $25 CAN!!!!

I was kind of surprised they'd have something with that kind of content at a K-6 school funfair, but no complaints from me.
Old 06-03-05, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lucky you were amongst people who probably had no idea what they had in their hands.
Old 06-03-05, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice find! I found it at a Gamestop the other day for $49.99. It was "used" but honestly it looks like it was never even played before. I'm loving the show so far!
Old 06-03-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice!

Today I pulled a used copy of the Toy Story 1 & 2 2-disc for $8.50 at the local flea market, then went to Game Stop and found a used legit copy of Swamp Thing for $9.99.
Old 06-03-05, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My best finds over the past few days have been becuase of the HUGE sale at all of the Ingles stores...wow.

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 06-03-05 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-03-05, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did you feel like a C*cksucker for getting that deal?

At work they sell DVDs that were sent in for $5 a few times a year. It doesn't matter if it's a box set or some movie you've never heard of.

Last time I bought nine box sets for $5 each-mostly seasons of TV shows and MST3000.
Old 06-04-05, 12:52 AM

A few years back I found Spinal Tap CC in the used DVD section at Game Stop for $14.99.
Old 06-04-05, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
Did you feel like a C*cksucker for getting that deal?
Hehe... A friend and I were talking last night about how this show would come out after editing for network television. Mister Wu wouldn't have much to say!
Old 06-04-05, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by andicus
Hehe... A friend and I were talking last night about how this show would come out after editing for network television. Mister Wu wouldn't have much to say!

They'd have to dub him into Chinese.
Old 06-04-05, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Man. You'd think putting in money at a ******ing brat's ******-filled auction wouldn't get you the *******ing ****** ******less ***** that you got, you *****ing ******.
Old 06-04-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mjlukich
A few years back I found Spinal Tap CC in the used DVD section at Game Stop for $14.99.
Now that's a steal. Hurray for pawn shops and game stop employess who don't know what dvds are worth. I've picked up two copies of Sid and Nancy Criterion used for 7 bucks each as well as a mint copy of the Halloween 2 disc set for 8 bucks. It had been out of print for well over a year when I picked it up.
Old 06-04-05, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
My best finds over the past few days have been becuase of the HUGE sale at all of the Ingles stores...wow.
Now, what might this sale be Brent? Don't leave me hangin'.

I have an Ingles at Cherrydale and an Ingles on White Horse Road. Both 2-5 miles away from me... I shop at Bi-Lo

Last edited by conscience; 06-04-05 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-05-05, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Lucky you were amongst people who probably had no idea what they had in their hands.

Yeah, exactly. I tell people about this series and they go, "Whahhh? Dead who? Is that a horror series? Like Buffy?"
Old 06-05-05, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I found a pristine copy of The Wire season 1 at Gamestop the other day for $29.99, I thought that was a pretty good deal.
Old 06-05-05, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by conscience
Now, what might this sale be Brent? Don't leave me hangin'.

I have an Ingles at Cherrydale and an Ingles on White Horse Road. Both 2-5 miles away from me... I shop at Bi-Lo
He posted about it in the bargain forum, as I recall...so you might find the details there.

-JP
Old 06-05-05, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
He posted about it in the bargain forum, as I recall...so you might find the details there.

-JP
Thanks. I found it. Not bad. Might have to check that out.
Old 06-06-05, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always love to hear about people getting DVDs on the cheap, since that's how I go out of my way to buy 'em .......I have a local pawn that's been selling them for $3.99 almost without fail for the last 6 months or so and have gotten some steals. Last week it was a copy of The Last Samurai, as well as a copy of Master And Commander for a friend whom I know didn't have it yet.
Old 06-06-05, 06:52 PM

EBgames and Gamespot are great shops to find some good deals. I worked at a local EBgames myself for almost 2 years and got some really good deals there. Band of brothers for around 15 bucks and my Mickey in living color in tin for 12. Also got toy story 1/2 for 10 around.
Old 06-06-05, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Now that's a steal. Hurray for pawn shops and game stop employess who don't know what dvds are worth. I've picked up two copies of Sid and Nancy Criterion used for 7 bucks each as well as a mint copy of the Halloween 2 disc set for 8 bucks. It had been out of print for well over a year when I picked it up.
hurray for the punk kids who jacked it from their parents criterion collection to get $5 store credit towards the next dragon ball z game...
Old 06-06-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's a store in New York City that has (or had...I haven't lived there for a few months, so they may be gone) several copies of Salo: CC for $14.99. It is an absolutely legit store that doesn't knowingly sell bootlegs (note: knowingly), and they seem to be real.

I should have bought one, but didn't (since I hated the movie, and if they did turn out to be fakes, I would be upset that I even spent $14.99 on it), so I don't know if they're real or not. But the next time I'm in New York.... If they're real, THAT'S a good deal.
Old 06-06-05, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chileorgullo
hurray for the punk kids who jacked it from their parents criterion collection to get $5 store credit towards the next dragon ball z game...
You have to be 18 or over to do business with a pawn shop.
Old 06-07-05, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
There's a store in New York City that has (or had...I haven't lived there for a few months, so they may be gone) several copies of Salo: CC for $14.99. It is an absolutely legit store that doesn't knowingly sell bootlegs (note: knowingly), and they seem to be real.

I should have bought one, but didn't (since I hated the movie, and if they did turn out to be fakes, I would be upset that I even spent $14.99 on it), so I don't know if they're real or not. But the next time I'm in New York.... If they're real, THAT'S a good deal.
You're full of shit, right? If you suspect that they're real...you should have bought one copy, taken it home, and checked to see. If it was real, you should have gone back, purchased the rest of them, and sold them on eBay for a 3000% profit. If it turned out to be fake, you could return it, or sell it on eBay (even the Facets releases tend to pull $25 or so). I'm beyond confused as to why you wouldn't risk $15 for the potential of hundreds, and depending on how many copies, into the thousands of dollars of profit. So either you're full of shit, or, well...

-JP
Old 06-07-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
You're full of shit, right? If you suspect that they're real...you should have bought one copy, taken it home, and checked to see. If it was real, you should have gone back, purchased the rest of them, and sold them on eBay for a 3000% profit. If it turned out to be fake, you could return it, or sell it on eBay (even the Facets releases tend to pull $25 or so). I'm beyond confused as to why you wouldn't risk $15 for the potential of hundreds, and depending on how many copies, into the thousands of dollars of profit. So either you're full of shit, or, well...

-JP
No, actually, I'm not. Why didn't I spend the $15? Because I was super poor and didn't care enough. Besides, it seemed ridiculously unlikely that they would just happen to have fifteen or so copies of the most valuable OOP DVD in existence for $14.99 each. My guess is that they're not real, but the store doesn't know it. And if they are real? Oh well. Besides, like I said, I hated the movie, and if it had been fake, I wouldn't have wanted to own it or bother with eBay to get $25. I was poor, but not enough so that I wanted to go through a lot of effort for a possible $10 profit.

It's not like I'm making this up for shits and giggles. If you live in the New York area, I'll tell you where the store is, and you can go see for yourself.
Old 06-07-05, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
No, actually, I'm not. Why didn't I spend the $15? Because I was super poor and didn't care enough. Besides, it seemed ridiculously unlikely that they would just happen to have fifteen or so copies of the most valuable OOP DVD in existence for $14.99 each. My guess is that they're not real, but the store doesn't know it. And if they are real? Oh well. Besides, like I said, I hated the movie, and if it had been fake, I wouldn't have wanted to own it or bother with eBay to get $25. I was poor, but not enough so that I wanted to go through a lot of effort for a possible $10 profit.

It's not like I'm making this up for shits and giggles. If you live in the New York area, I'll tell you where the store is, and you can go see for yourself.
If you were poor, all the more reason to go to the trouble (not for a possible $10 profit...but for a guaranteed $10 profit, and a possible $400 profit per disc). I just don't understand not taking the chance with one of them, as the payoff greatly justifies the risk. To each his own, though...all I know is that if I ever run across a stockpile of Salo CC's that "seem to be real" at a store that "doesn't knowingly sell bootlegs," you can bet your ass that I'll gladly spend $15 to find out what exactly it is that I'm dealing with.

-JP
Old 06-07-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To each his own indeed.

Still, I do sometimes mentally kick myself for not at least finding out if they were real or not. Like I said, though, the next time I'm in New York....