Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Holy Cow! I need to replace my whole collection...

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-05, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is just getting ridiculous..It seems like "every dvd" is getting the Special treatment these days...I mean today I just read War of the Worlds is getting an S.E.,Tommy Boy and The Warriors too...Kill Bill 1 & 2-all movies that I definintely would want the best version. I'm so sick that I even replace dvds that I "have not watched" that are still sealed with the new version that I probally wont watch hehe...When does this madness end? Don't even go there when HI DEf dvds hit the scene...am I the only one that has literally replaced over 100 movies with newer versions...?
Old 06-02-05, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think you'll have to worry about those Kill Bill SE's for awhile...
Old 06-02-05, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IamLegend
When does this madness end?
When you learn to be happy with what you have.
Old 06-02-05, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After I reached about 400 DVDs, I realized that the odds of my watching any one DVD more than a few times was pretty low. I have given up on updating my DVDs with newer editions. There are a handful of movies I'd consider double dipping for these days.

When I opened this thread I thought your house burned down, or your basement flooded or something. You really don't HAVE to replace any of them.
Old 06-02-05, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Warriors SE?
Old 06-02-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah...like I saw National Treasure used for $7. The old Daman would have bought this on the spot....but I can't because I know a better one is coming (eventually, but probably sooner than later).
Old 06-02-05, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
You definitely don't have to double dip every time. I do on some, but I skip most of the rereleases.
Old 06-02-05, 10:46 PM

maybe you should wait a bit longer to pick things up... i usually never pick up a dvd when it first releases unless i'm sure it is either a) a edition that i am pleased with. b) it's cheap enough that i wouldn't mind buying another edition. c) it's a television or animated show that generally wouldn't get another edition.

if you wait months after a release you might be able to catch some info on anoher upcoming edition

also this gives more time for the other regions to release and they might have a better package or look to the dvd.

Old 06-02-05, 11:53 PM

That's why I don't buy barebones editions anymore. If they're not double discs, I wait.
Old 06-03-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have never double dipped, unless you count LOTR trilogy.

My collection is over 330, I try to search to see if a SE is coming out. If I really want it I will wait. But, I remember when they said Spy Kids was going to have a SE, but my family enjoyed the movie so much, we picked up the 1st release. If I remember correctly, the SE never came out. So, I was able to enjoy Spy Kids for years and never worried about the SE.
Old 06-03-05, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
SE = Sucker Editions
Old 06-03-05, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never double dipped either. There are too many DVD's I still need to buy before I worry about replacing ones i already have.

I'd concider getting new cuts of films as I dont consider that double dipping ( ie I will eventually pick up the theatrical versions of LOTR)
Old 06-03-05, 12:51 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by MasterCXtreme
I don't think you'll have to worry about those Kill Bill SE's for awhile...
unless you're a region-free collector...

Old 06-03-05, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Yeah, forget about free choice.

Do you upgrade your car every year? then I don't see why you need to update your dvds every release. some self control goes a long way.
Old 06-03-05, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
unless you're a region-free collector...

I don't think those are Special Editions though, are they?
Old 06-03-05, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
No, those are BEs. Better Editions.
Old 06-03-05, 07:22 AM

Wow. Thank goodness someone started a thread complaining about SEs and double-dipping. You should be commended, sir, for your originality and courage. Stick it to 'em, brother!
Old 06-03-05, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I only 'upgrade' to newer special edition of my DVD if they are my favorite movie. So far out of over 670 DVDs in my collection, I've only 'upgraded' to special edition on two DVDs: Casablanca and Princess Bride.
Old 06-03-05, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
SE = Sucker Editions
Lots of Big Laughs, becuase it is true.
Old 06-03-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know if it would be considered "double dipping" if your old copy was scratched up and you bought a new replacement...but thats the only time I have EVER rebought the same dvd or newer special edition of a movie and probably the only time I would.
Old 06-03-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never bought the Kill Bill edition's knowing that there would be a special/extreme/director's cut of it later down the road,and no need to double dip on the Warrior's imo,and I never bought Tommy Boy to begin with,there is very few DVDs I would double dip on.
Old 06-03-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by IamLegend
I'm so sick that I even replace dvds that I "have not watched" that are still sealed with the new version that I probally wont watch hehe...When does this madness end?
Probably when you stop rushing out to buy things that you haven't even had the chance to unwrap yet?

Seriously -- you have titles that are being double-dipped before you've even opened the first one? That's a sign that you're buying more DVDs than you can handle. Or you're buying DVDs that you really don't love.
Old 06-03-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Like others, I've never double dipped on a movie. I have a limited supply of money and would prefer to spend it on items I don't already own. The madness ends when you stop. No one is forcing you to continue.
Old 06-03-05, 11:56 AM

If you are replacing movies you haven't yet opened, I would say it's time to stop buying so much. I've had to do this recently. I have moved most of my dvds to cd books to make more room. I don't want to get rid of many of them, but I have no idea when I will watch them, either. Even though a special edition seems like a better deal, do you really need another disc of featurettes? If it's a full out edition with documentaries and more deleted scenes, maybe new commentary and added DTS surround, then perhaps it's worth it. Or if they've been able to get better elements for an old film and it looks better than it ever has, then great. But if you are not taking the time to watch everything on the disc, what's the point of having it, especially if it's not something that will ever go out of print. It seems that most stuff worth having is always around in some form, anyway. If criterion has a great edition and it goes out of print, someone else will release it again.
Old 06-03-05, 12:22 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wait til the HD discs come up

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.