Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What's The Big Deal With Criterions? (merged)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

What's The Big Deal With Criterions? (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-05, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Yeah, its not like he was asking when the next Deepdiscountdvd 20% off sale is!!!
Speaking of which when is...

Just kidding, so Phatboy why didn't you like 7 Samurai?
Old 06-02-05, 04:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by steebo777
Easy on the BMW bashing. I drive one, and like to consider myself to not be an asshole. I have had zero reliability problems and would take one any day of the week over a bland Toyota. But maybe that's just people that want a true driving machine and people that don't

We now return you to your regular scheduled topic...

I have to agree. I have a BMW and Criterions both, and neither are to impress others.

Half of my friends don't even know what Criterion Collection means, and often confuse them with them with the silver boxed superbits. We'll be in a store and they'll say "Oh, here's the Criterion of Bad Boys 2" or smiliar movies, who have superbits. I never correct them outright, because I could really care less if they know spine numbers, if they're not interested in the movies in the first place.

I think if you enjoy a movie, and it has a Criterion versus a regular edition, with a few exceptions such as The Killer, you should spring for the Criterion and enjoy a great transfer, special features, and often time a great insert, in cases of movies such as My Own Private Idaho, Short Cuts, and The Royal Tenebaums.

If you just enjoy Fanny and Alexander, Fear and Loathing, Life Aquatic or such movies, I would suggest the smaller release, as opposed to the more expensive edition. I wouldn't buy films just to say you have them, or have the "best" version. You could get 3-4 movies you really like for the price of some Criterions that you buy for status.

Never hurts to pick one Criterion from a film genre you like, and try it out. Worst case senario, you a good valued buy/trade material for a DVD board, or eBay.
Old 06-02-05, 04:59 AM

Hay Phatboy I looked at your collection. How do you and or is it where do you get the little DVD covers to put with the T of C info. I have my T of C in alphabetical in Word and would like to add the Covers.
Old 06-02-05, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by gcbma
OK, I'll bite...
BMW is an out-dated status symbol that has poor reliability ratings.
Toyota is more main-stream yet has excellent reliability ratings.
In summary, people buy BMW's to impress others, and people buy Toyota for quality/value. (Disclaimer: I've never owned either one).
Hmm...As a homework exercise, do the substitution that was originally intended in the analogy.
I drive a BMW too. Are you impressed?

Last edited by tboogie; 06-02-05 at 05:29 AM.
Old 06-02-05, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ReservoirDog45
Speaking of which when is...

Just kidding, so Phatboy why didn't you like 7 Samurai?
No I did, but before all this information, I didn't really know what movies were considered "criterion". NOw I know it's more older, somewhat artsy type of films, with the exclusion of say armageddon, traffic etc etc. I've seen films like the Hitchcock ones and the time machine (I think) and I'll check them out a little closer next time and maybe appreciate them a little more.

Originally Posted by a handle
Hay Phatboy I looked at your collection. How do you and or is it where do you get the little DVD covers to put with the T of C info. I have my T of C in alphabetical in Word and would like to add the Covers.

i'm not sure what you mean. pm if for specifics. later

Last edited by phatboy; 06-02-05 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-02-05, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Currently, I am only missing Salo and Spinal Tap. Many of the Criterion Collection's films offer something unique and brilliant in regards to cinema. Often to understand the films one has to do some research or do some studying before, or after have seeing the films as they have a special spot in history, art, and the craft of generating 24 frames per second. I recently watched Phantom of Liberty, which by the way is brilliant, but I do not think most of my friends would enjoy the film on the same level I do. Why? Well, watching this film offers an experience one only could get at an art museum, i.e., reflection, bewilderment, and much more. Hail to the Criterion!

Cheers ,

DVD Smurf
Old 06-02-05, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess we could say that some people see Criterions as an appreciation of an artform and others just see them as expensive dvds.

Some people say a cucumber tastes better than a pickle.
Old 06-02-05, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
I don't get it. People bitch and moan because somebody doesn't search before posting a topic. Like them posting it is going to be a waste of everyones time. Yet the same people have time to post all that.
I cheated. The first two threads I listed came up just by using a more specific search phrase, almost no work at all. The rest of the threads were already posted in the first thread I linked to.

As for wasting people's time, it is a waste of other people's time to ask a question that's been asked before, especially if it's easily searchable. Each time you ask a question, you're requesting someone else take the time to answer it for you. I guess it's fine to keep asking the same questions over and over if you don't care about other people's time, but most people would prefer to be more considerate.

Also, frequently asked questions can hog up a lot of space. There's only so many threads that can fit on a page, and if left unchecked, frequently asked questions would probably hog a lot of that space. That would make this forum less appealing to those who are more experienced and already know all those questions, have seen them dozens of times before, and would rather not slog through them day after day. That's why FAQs were created in the first place, to answer all the frequently asked questions in one spot so to leave room for more distinct discussions.

Finally, most FAQs asked are by people ignorant of the search tools. I don't really view it as mean to point it out, since it will cause that user to possibly use them in the future, saving the waste of a new thread and giving that user information much more quickly than posting and waiting for a response.
Old 06-02-05, 11:35 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Ah yes, the quarterly "What's so great about Criterion" thread...

Criterion releases a lot of older "art" films or classics of world cinema on DVD. They invariably do a wonderful job with those releases. All one needs to do is compare the old, thankfully out-of-print Fox/Lorber release of Godard's A Woman is a Woman with the recent Criterion release of the same movie. The Fox/Lorber had the worst transfer in the history of DVDs, ingrained subs, and no supplements. The Criterion release of the same film has (I've cut-and-pasted from their website):
  • New high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director of photography Raoul Coutard, with restored image and sound and enhanced for widescreen televisions
  • Charlotte et Véronique ou Tous les garçons s'appellent Patrick (All Boys Are Called Patrick, 1957), an early short film by Godard with Jean-Claude Brialy, written by Eric Rohmer
  • "Qui êtes-vous Anna Karina?"; excerpts from a1966 French television interview with Karina, Brialy, and Serge Gainsbourg
  • Publicity for A Woman Is a Woman featuring the original trailer, rare on-set photos by photographer Raymond Cauchetier, a poster and stills gallery, and an audio promotional recording for the film
  • New and improved English subtitle translation
  • Optimal image quality: RSDL dual-layer edition
  • Plus: a 24-page booklet featuring excerpts from a 1961 interview with Godard and director of photography Raoul Coutard about A Woman Is a Woman, and a new essay by film critic J. Hoberman

So, that's the big deal with Criterions.
Old 06-02-05, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
So, that's the big deal with Criterions.
I don't know. I am a big fan of the film Sisters (1973) and when I heard Criterion was releasing it on dvd I creamed my jeans. However I am immensely dissappointed with that release. Overall poor transfer, lots of grain and laughably useless extras (all except the junky photos are available on the net for free). Only good thing I can say is that its a lot better than the old Warner VHS.

Overall I find Criterion extras to be junk. Would rather just have their movies in a bare bones edition for less $$.
Old 06-02-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by filmo70
I don't know. I am a big fan of the film Sisters (1973) and when I heard Criterion was releasing it on dvd I creamed my jeans. However I am immensely dissappointed with that release. Overall poor transfer, lots of grain and laughably useless extras (all except the junky photos are available on the net for free). Only good thing I can say is that its a lot better than the old Warner VHS.

Overall I find Criterion extras to be junk. Would rather just have their movies in a bare bones edition for less $$.
I have Sisters myself and don't remember the transfer being as bad as you describe. It's been a while since I've popped it in so I may be misremembering. Your point about the extras on this disc is well taken, though. I generally think most extras on Criterion discs are very very good, so I don't agree with you about them being junk.
Old 06-02-05, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
If there is some kind, creative soul out there with Photoshop skills, an image of Jerry Seinfeld, and some Criterion clip art, I will be forever grateful...
Sorry it ain't Jerry, but this looks more like a Criterion cover anyway:

Old 06-02-05, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by chente
I have Sisters myself and don't remember the transfer being as bad as you describe.
For a Criterion transfer where the original negative was used, yes I think the Sisters transfer is "weak". Look at MGM's dvd release of De Palma's Hi Mom! That freakin thing is butt mint without a single blemish. Why isn't Sister's like dat? Maybe the o-neg is just a bit worn itself, I don't know. I'll stop my whinning now.
Old 06-02-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by filmo70
butt mint
ewww
Old 06-02-05, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I found that most Criterions were renters for me. I have a few, and had several. Most movies that are not comedy or popcorn flicks have litle replay value around my home. I am not saying I dislike movies like that, but I just don't need to own them (at least at criterion prices).

Some are good, some are weak. Like any studio they are not all winners. the real problem is that some of the ones I would like to own are impossible to get at a reasonable price because they are OOP. That is why I have Criterion LD of The Killer and Hard Boiled not the respective DVD.

If you are someone that enjoys popcorn flicks, much as the greater percentage of the populous, then you probably will not want to go out and buy tons of Criterion sight unseen. Try renting them and buy what you truly enjoy. You can get them cheaper used and with coupons and make the price more acceptable,
Old 06-02-05, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
Sorry it ain't Jerry, but this looks more like a Criterion cover anyway:

[I love you man! -- J. Schwartz]

"I sense great vulnerability. A man-child crying out for love. An innocent orphan in the post-modern world."

"I see a parasite. A sexually depraved miscreant who is seeking only to gratify his basest and most immediate urges."

"His struggle is man's struggle. He lifts my spirit."

"He is a loathesome, offensive brute. Yet I can't look away."

"He transcends time and space."

"He sickens me."

"I love it."

"Me too."

"Does it have an insert?"
Old 06-02-05, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love these threads, they're like big cries for attention.

Really though, it's not that serious. If a movie is coming that I like, and it happens to be by Criterion, I'm happy cause I know it will get a nice treatment. Other studios - not so sure.

After I got enough Criterions, I started blind buying them because as an overall percentage, most every one of their films I owned I absolutely loved.

I just got Divorce Italian Style, F For Fake, and Kagemusha. I already loved Marcello Mastroianni, Orson Welles, Akira Kurosawa, and enjoy Criterion releases, so it was a natural match.

If you don't see what the "big deal is" with them, who cares? Buy something else.
Old 06-03-05, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by naitram

If you don't see what the "big deal is" with them, who cares? Buy something else.
Which is EXACTLY what I've been doing.....but since I have very limited experience with what makes a criterion or what they really even were, that's why this thread was posted, to get people's opinion, good or bad...
Old 06-03-05, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by phatboy
Which is EXACTLY what I've been doing.....but since I have very limited experience with what makes a criterion or what they really even were, that's why this thread was posted, to get people's opinion, good or bad...
Are you asking for blind buy recommendations?
Old 06-03-05, 02:32 AM

You couldn't have researched this? I hear Criterion even has a website now.
Old 06-10-05, 12:53 AM

Criterion DVD's

It seems many people are hot for Criterion DVD's.
What makes them so special?
Old 06-10-05, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Criterion often puts out films that would otherwise not get released. Many, though not all, of their releases have substantial and/or exceptional extras. Since they have so many good releases of hard-to-find films, people associate that name with quality. Doesn't mean every film put out by Criterion is excellent, or even good. It's just a reputation. I bet there's a thread dedicated to Criterion somewhere around here. Someone else could probably explain it better.

Last edited by mifuneral; 06-10-05 at 01:04 AM.
Old 06-10-05, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

welcome to the forum...check out

What's The Big Deal With Criterions?

I am buying EVERY single Criterion from here on out

USA Today article on Criterion
Old 06-10-05, 01:21 AM

Thanks.
In the famous words of Bill Nye "And Now You Know"

Funny thing. I looked over the list of Criterion titles.
There were only three I would be interested in.
And I already have those three in my collection!!!
Old 06-10-05, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Funny, I've given up on that dream long ago. Well, it wasn't exactly a dream I could do it but for the sake of eating and gas for my car I have stopped. Though I still pick up a Criterion here and there. Can't wait to pick up Au Hasard Balthazar during the upcoming DDD sale

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.