Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

LA Times article on rated vs unrated DVD versions

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-05, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LA Times article on rated vs unrated DVD versions

Big surprise, the unrated versions are the better sellers.

Times Staff Writer

May 31, 2005

Two DVD versions of "Team America: World Police" hit the shelves May 17. One was R-rated. The other was unrated — and for good reason. It contains, among other things, 50 seconds of new footage of a sex scene best described as Larry Flynt meets the Kama Sutra. Performed by two acrobatically inclined puppet protagonists with scatological fetishes, it's setting the town abuzz.

Often racier or more violent than their big-screen counterparts, unrated DVDs usually outperform the less-explicit version. Pouring new life into a movie franchise, they're a valuable marketing tool — particularly effective with the 18-to-34-year-old demographic, the heaviest home video users.

While studios belonging to the Motion Picture Assn. of America are prohibited from releasing unrated movies to theaters, home video lets the consumers choose. Film aficionados generally opt to see the director's vision, and a curious public often wants to see what was snipped.

"With the exception of the word 'free,' 'unrated' is one of the most enticing words in retail," said Thomas Lesinski, president of Paramount Pictures Worldwide Home Entertainment, which released the unrated "Team America," an anti-terrorism satire from "South Park" creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone. "It suggests something clandestine or taboo."

According to data compiled by Santa Ana-based Home Media Research, unrated versions of DVDs account for 80% to 90% of a title's sales when both versions come out simultaneously. Others say the figure is closer to 65% — still a windfall.

Not every movie is a contender, however. Teen comedies and thrillers such as "Blade: Trinity" are made to order, while animation, family fare and most PG-13 movies are not. A loyal following is crucial: fans who want more of what they liked the first time around.

Unrated merchandise dates to the late 1990s. But only in the last 18 months has the concept taken off. Part of the problem was limited distribution. Though Best Buy, Tower Video and Amazon.com came aboard fast, Wal-Mart, a family-oriented video behemoth, wouldn't carry DreamWorks' unrated "Old School" when it came out in 2003.

"Retailers at first were skeptical and that kept the numbers down," said Matt Lasorsa, executive vice president of marketing for New Line Home Entertainment. Now, after reviewing the material in advance, "most of them will stock it. Having an unrated DVD in the mix leads titles to 'over-perform' … total sales go up 20% to 80%, depending on the title."

The unrated version of "American Pie" (1999) is considered one of the genre's earliest successes. It was a breakthrough for Universal Studios Home Entertainment, said Ken Graffeo, executive vice president of the company, helping to boost sales to over 1 million units — rare in an age when rentals were still dominant.

Releasing an unrated "American Pie" was an afterthought, he recalled. But now it's part of the game plan.

"We sit down with the filmmaker in the script phase, figuring out if we can shoot additional scenes that won't make the cut. One of those shot for the unrated version of "American Wedding" — the third in the "American Pie" franchise — "was so great they actually put it in the movie."

The trick, studio executives said, is to differentiate unrated DVDs enough from the original to boost sales but not so much that it alienates the fan base.

New Line's unrated "Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle" contains more gratuitous breast shots and suggestive party scenes, Lasorsa said — a direction clearly communicated on the package. The movie's stars are superimposed on a naked female torso whose breasts are shielded by an "extreme unrated" sign. The unrated-version box of New Line's "Blade: Trinity" shows the trio of vampire fighters with weapons drawn — to suggest more vivid violence.

Sony's "In the Cut," an erotic thriller, serves up footage of oral sex and revealing shots of the male lead, Mark Ruffalo. All this is done in collaboration with the director and the approval of the actors, according to Tracey Garvin, Sony's Home Entertainment's vice president of marketing, studio and acquisitions.

"The consumer gets more, an experience they didn't have in the theaters," she said. "And from our perspective and the retailers, it's another product to serve up."

Even the squeaky-clean Walt Disney Co. has thrown its hat in the ring. While its Touchstone division has never released an unrated DVD, Buena Vista Home Entertainment released "Badder Santa" last year. Containing new footage — a hot tub scene and a striptease — it's an unrated version of "Bad Santa," a comedy starring Billy Bob Thornton that was distributed by Disney's Miramax subsidiary.

Jack Valenti, former head of the MPAA and interim supervisor of the group that awards ratings to big-screen releases, said he has no problem with unrated material — as long as the packaging is honest. "All we want to do is be transparent with the public, letting them know what's in the film," he said.

Studios, as a result, rely on self-regulation — and take that mandate seriously.

Paramount's Lesinski said the decision to include a raunchier sex scene in "Team America" triggered internal discussion. In the end, they decided to go for it. "The characters are puppets," the executive observed, "and it's only make-believe."

DreamWorks SKG, for its part, released unrated DVDs of movies such as "Road Trip" (with an extended shower scene), "Old School" (with additional footage of Will Ferrell streaking down Main Street and a class in fellatio), and "Anchorman" (with beefed-up fraternity humor and slang) only after submitting the material to in-house lawyers and a staff ratings-board liaison. The company said it tries to adhere to the original parameters that elicited the big-screen rating.

"If the unrated version of 'Anchorman' had been submitted, it would have again met the PG-13 guidelines," said Kelly Sooter, head of domestic home entertainment for the company.

Unrated merchandise, analysts say, will remain a powerful — if intermittent — part of the Hollywood landscape.

"People — young males, especially — want to choose what they see, they don't want censors in their lives," said Judith McCourt, head of research for Home Media Research. "It's a great way to extend the life of a movie because brand recognition stimulates awareness and differentiation encourages sales."

Rated vs. unrated

Unrated DVD movies, often sexier or more violent, outsell the original 'rated' versions when both are released at the same time. A look at selected DVD releases and the percentage of units sold:

Title Release date Studio Unrated Rated
'Old School' 6/10/03 DreamWorks 70.% 30.%
'American Wedding' 1/2/04 Universal 90% 10%
'American Pie 2' 1/15/02 Universal 80% 20%
'American Pie' 12/21/99 Universal 83% 17%
'Bad Santa'/'Badder Santa' 6/22/04 Buena Vista 89% 11%
'Anchorman' 12/28/04 DreamWorks 91% 9%
'Eurotrip' 6/2/04 DreamWorks 86% 14%
'Blade: Trinity' 4/26/05 New Line 84% 16%
'Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle' 1/4/05 New Line 88% 12%

Source: Home Media Research

Last edited by marinarod; 06-01-05 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-31-05, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Wow. I never noticed just how big of a difference in sales there was. Makes sense though, if someone is old enough for an R rated flick, and if you had an option, why wouldn't you get the "unrated" version?
Old 06-01-05, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Too bad that most unrated movies don't add much to the movie itself. Many of the "unrated" releases use that title in an attempt to grab consumers who are otherwise uninterested in purchasing that movie. Now we have an unrated version of The Animal with a whole extra minute of movie as well as another version of Dodgeball coming with a whopping minute of additional footage.
Old 06-01-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unrated will be ruined like the term special edition is ruined
Old 06-01-05, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The unrated-version box of New Line's "Blade: Trinity" shows the trio of vampire fighters with weapons drawn — to suggest more vivid violence.

Did the theatrical cut not have vampire fighters with weapons?
Old 06-01-05, 12:50 AM

It is a major pisser when I buy a DVD and a few months later they release the UNRATED version. I always go for the UNRATED when available.
Old 06-01-05, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
"Unrated" simply means that the particular version has not been submitted to the MPAA.

A movie can add a clip of Shirley Temple singing "on The Good Ship Lollipop" and then advertise it as the "never before seen UNRATED version!!!!!" - the only boobs are the suckers who fall for this marketing ploy.
Old 06-01-05, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Don't bold the whole article, it makes it hard to read...

Also, Unrated is a marketing ploy, as stated above.
Old 06-01-05, 08:56 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by marinarod
"If the unrated version of 'Anchorman' had been submitted, it would have again met the PG-13 guidelines," said Kelly Sooter, head of domestic home entertainment for the company.
Well that's a load of crap. You can't drop the F-bomb 6 times and get a PG-13.
Old 06-01-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
The marketing appears to be working.
Old 06-01-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wish the article had talked more about the 'bogus' unrated releases. People need to be warned!
Old 06-01-05, 01:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Bus
Don't bold the whole article, it makes it hard to read...

Also, Unrated is a marketing ploy, as stated above.
Darn, beat me to it. I was gonna say, "Wow, I didn't realize how bolding makes things more readible."
Old 06-01-05, 02:05 PM

i would like to meet the person who is whacked out of their skull enough to pick the regular rated version of a dvd over the unrated version... personally i don't believe that person exists and if he does that is one odd monkey.
Old 06-01-05, 02:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I was actually at Best Buy when the unrated/PG-13 editions of King Arthur came out, and I successfully got a customer to not buy the PG-13 version, he was truthfully pretty inept on what he was buying. I was like "why are you buying that version when there's more footage in the unrated cut?"
Old 06-01-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I found Paramounts quote hilarious considering their stance on unrated versions previouslly. Now they are acting as if they have no issues with it and release them on a regular basis despite Team America being their first and only unrated release so far
Old 06-01-05, 03:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
that is if you don't count the unrated VHS versions of Sliver and Jade - Paramount are real hypocrites if you ask me.
Old 06-01-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I meant on dvd of course

Now back durring their brief stint with unrated VHS releases. It seemed like they were going to cave in and join in the 'fun'(they even had an NC-17 print of 1900 released on the arthouse circuit at the time). But then Viacom bought them out..and put that policy in place. Since then,they have pretty much acted as if unrated versions were 'evil' and would never dare release such editions.

So it is good news,that despite Viacom still owning Paramount(from what I know),that they have at least 'tested the waters' so to speak with the unrated Team America.

We can only hope this means future unrated versions of a certain slasher series,among many other films
Old 06-01-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Well that's a load of crap. You can't drop the F-bomb 6 times and get a PG-13.
I don't think you can show a guy eat cat shit in a PG-13 as well either.

Out of all the unrated DVDs I own, the Dawn of the Dead remake was the only one that was a "true" improvement over the original theatrical cut. Not only did we get more character development, we also got a lot more violence.

And since I'm a pervert; I'm also quite fond of the Road Trip, Eurotrip, American Wedding, and Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle unrated editions for throwing in more female nudity.
Old 06-01-05, 05:33 PM

Probably the only reason the "unrated" and "rated" versions ever get seperate disc releases is so the p***ies at Blockhuckster and Hollywood Video can rent the titles.
Old 06-01-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
i would like to meet the person who is whacked out of their skull enough to pick the regular rated version of a dvd over the unrated version... personally i don't believe that person exists and if he does that is one odd monkey.
Well, since you put it THAT way, I won't say that I just want whichever version is the one that played in theaters- nothing added, nothing cut. However, one of the most hyped features of DVD that's been criminally underused is the seamless-branching feature which lets them put two or more versions of the movie on the SAME disc. Out of the aforementioned titles, only "American Wedding" has this feature. The separate "rated" versions of that movie are only out to please Wal-Mart and stores that won't carry the unrated disc- in that case you would have to be whacked out of your skull to buy the rated version since you also get the theatrical cut on the unrated disc, and they both sell for the same price. The first American Pie movie is only available separate though, and I prefer the rated version (there isn't any more or less female nudity in either version.) The theatrical version of American Wedding is an overall better movie (though I didn't think much of it in general)- the extended bachelor party scene is fun but the extended dog-shit-eating joke was a bit much. It's good to have both versions of that together.

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 06-01-05 at 07:37 PM.