Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Universal Hitchcock Titles to get a rerelease in October? (10/04/05)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Universal Hitchcock Titles to get a rerelease in October? (10/04/05)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
I'm not going to pass on this set though (or any other DVDs for that matter) just because HD-DVD is coming.
Me too. I just think that Universal in particular is going out of their way to re-release as many titles as possible before HD-DVD gets released.
Old 07-23-05, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Steve
Remember VHS and Beta? Who won - the first one who was able to provide the most precorded movies.
Actually, Beta was the first out (in 1974) whereas VHS didn't hit the market until two years later. They had pre-recorded videos from the get-go, so they were the ones with the most pre-recorded videos initially. They maintained the same amount of available titles throughout the format war so VHS didn't ace them on pre-recorded title availability. It wasn't until Beta was already losing that VHS started pulling ahead in pre-recorded title availability (because tape suppliers started demanding the more popular format). Beta was always the superior format in terms of a/v and hardware quality, hands down. VHS won because of the recording speeds they offered and because their product was significantly cheaper, especially initially. It took Beta too long to come out with an extended recording speed because they were reluctant to trade recording quality for recording space. People went with VHS since they could fit an entire standard movie on one tape (2 hour recording time vs. Beta's 1) and because VHS players cost a lot less (since their lower quality hardware components and manufacturing standards allowed them to produce and sell their machines more cheaply). Also, Beta wouldn't allow OEM supplying which lowered their manufacturing output significantly.
Old 07-23-05, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by darkside
If all of the Hitchcock films have quality HD-DVD transfers then I will probably just buy them all again down the road when I can afford it. I'm not going to pass on this set though (or any other DVDs for that matter) just because HD-DVD is coming.
My feeling exactly. The looming arrival of HD-DVD is no reason to pass on quality DVD's unless you know for sure when a particular title is coming out on that format and you're planning to be an early adopter. Really it's just another double-dip to me. Personally, I handle double-dips like this: If I know a DVD is going to be replaced with a new super-duper SE in the near future (like Sin City, for instance) then I typically hold-off in anticipation for that eventual better release, otherwise, I just buy it. I don't avoid buying a title like, say, the new Lifeboat SE, because I'm worried that at some point - who knows when - there could be a 3-Disc Ultimate Edition. If I did that, I'd have no movies at all.
Old 07-23-05, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
not sure the best way to sell off my titles...i own all 4 box sets...so i need to get rid of 18 movies quick. outside of ebay whats the best way to do this...i seldom ever sell off a disc
Originally Posted by sracer
You could donate them to the local library or thrift store and take tax deduction. Trade them in at GameStop or somesuch place for credits towards different films.
Most of us can't afford to be so altruistic as to give away all of our old DVD's. Assuming you're the same, I'd suggest Half.com or Amazon for selling them used. GameStop and Blockbuster are good options if you can't get more than $3-4 on Half or Amazon. There's also the exchange forum here at DVDTalk, but of course you'd be dealing exclusively with enlightened folks who know all about upcoming re-releases and such so don't expect to get over on them. They'll know a soon-to-be obsolete version when they see it and will trade accordingly.
Old 08-16-05, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So any new pics of this set? I want to know how it is packaged inside the box...ie, is it a huge foldout like Alien Quad, slim cases, or regular single disc keep cases. Even though I do own that Alien Quad, I do prefer movies to come in individual cases of some sort, even though Ill probably buy this regardless.
Old 08-16-05, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
I have a feeling it will be individual thin cases judging from the size of the box.
Old 08-16-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nothing new...i would like to see new cover scans
Old 08-16-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...and some reviews of the set before I move my old ones.
Old 08-16-05, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
I have a feeling it will be individual thin cases judging from the size of the box.
You're probably right, and I'm sure it makes more sense economically in terms of shipping weight and retail shelf space to do it that way (or in some kind of digipak), but I'd really prefer single-sized Amarays. I'll have to get busy making 15 new covers, otherwise - a task I don't look forward to.
Old 08-19-05, 10:14 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Artwork and menu shots: http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=57539
Old 08-19-05, 01:38 PM

So I guess Psycho and Vertigo will be anamorphic afterall? I will wait for the reviews.

I have all 14 of those already but I'm sure I can sell them and that would pretty much pay for the new set.

Saxon
Old 08-20-05, 10:10 AM

whata freakin deal, i bought them individually for then what i thought was a bargain of $11 each dvd...$85 for all 14 and bonus disc? If you guys fan and debating weither to get it, DONT! just look what I paid!
Old 08-20-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Why does the bonus disc have two docs which are contained elsewhere in the set? That seems highly bizarre.

I guess the rumors that it would have Hitchcock's episodes of "Suspicion" and "Startime" were unfounded? Someday, I'd like to get "4 O'Clock" ...
Old 08-20-05, 12:58 PM

I cannot wait for this one. Thanks for the link Geofferson. Those menus looks amazing.
Old 08-20-05, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
Why does the bonus disc have two docs which are contained elsewhere in the set? That seems highly bizarre.
Presumably because they take up too much space on the original DVDs. I mean, those docs for Psycho and The Birds are extremely long -- hence they cut into the available bitrate for the films themselves. This is actually a pretty commendable approach.
Old 08-21-05, 07:39 PM

No, they should have kept them with the films in question and expanded to a second disc if bitrate economy was an issue.
Old 08-21-05, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well two documentaries being on the bonus dvd does not bother me at all. I don't know why people will complain about that. When this looks to be one stellar set. We'll get everything we could ask for from the looks of it.

OAR and 16.9 enhanced releases of the films. Original audio soundtracks and more than enough Extra features.

So color me happy as hell about this box set and I think the complainers are just looking for something to complain about
Old 08-21-05, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by joliom
No, they should have kept them with the films in question and expanded to a second disc if bitrate economy was an issue.
They did expand to a second disc technically. Honestly, with this set so affordable who would want to spend $20 each to get the movies separately?

The new Hitch set is a dream set for me. I sold my old Vol1 and Vol2 sets for nearly $50 more than the new set is costing so Universal gets a thumbs up from me at this point.
Old 08-21-05, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Luckily I only own 3 of the movies... excellent set at an excellent price
Old 08-21-05, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Julie Walker
OAR and 16.9 enhanced releases of the films. Original audio soundtracks and more than enough Extra features.
I know you are like me and prefer the original sound tracks to 5.1 remixes. However, this set has one of the few 5.1 remixes I really thought was well done. It is on Vertigo and the team that did the film restoration did a pretty accurate job of recreating the sound effects and mixing the sound. Granted, I'm thrilled the original mono is on there as well (wish they would do 1.0 instead of 2.0 but that is a minor gripe).
Old 08-21-05, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well I was able to 'tolerate' the 5.1 mix of Vertigio since I'm not overly familar with it. I can't wait to listen to the mono mix and see how they differ and if I prefer it(which I most likely will).
Old 08-21-05, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
I'd still like to know if they will be releasing these remastered versions individually or not. I'm not interested in all of these titles, but I'd like to get a few of them in anamorphic widescreen (Vertigo being my most wanted title).

It's a pretty steep price to get the full box set if I only want 5 or 6 of these titles (or, should I say, if I'm only interested in buying 5 or 6 of these - I'd like to see all of them at some point).
Old 08-22-05, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess I need to hurry up and put these on Ebay or Half.com, although Im not sure if I want to sell it as a set as Id really like to keep the Alfred Hitchcock Presents discs (I know they are releasing season sets of it now, but Im not sure I want to buy the entire series).

Actually, maybe I should wait for reviews too, since Universal managed to release a non-anamorphic widescreen DVD set in House after advertising it would be anamorphic...whos to say the same wont happen with some or all of these movies?

Last edited by ENDContra; 08-22-05 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-22-05, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I'm definitely hanging onto my Alfred Hitchcock Presents discs. Having the 17 that Hitch personally directed all together is handy.
Old 09-05-05, 07:47 PM

I just unloaded 8 of my Hitchcock titles on Ebay and most of those didn't fetch much (especially after taking out Ebay and Paypal fees). My per-DVD net profit was $3.58. If I had it to do over again, I would've traded them at DigitalEyes (www.digitaleyes.net). They're offering a $5.99 trade-in credit each for the 14 Hitchcock titles. Their price on the new boxet is $89.95 + free shipping via Media Mail. This means that if you trade in all 14 titles towards the new boxet at DigitalEyes, you would only have to put out $6.09 additional for the boxset. Of course you'd have to pay to ship your used DVDs to them, but it's not much using Media Mail with Delivery Confirmation. Hope this info helps others looking to dump their current copies

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.