Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Rob Zombie Talks to Fangoria About Devil's Rejects & House Director's Cut!!!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 05-23-05, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry if this was posted before. But, I just got the new June Fangoria (Land of the Dead on the cover) and there is a big article about The Devil's Rejects and Rob Zombie gives some hints at the projected Devil's Rejects DVD special features and a possible "director's cut"

As follows straight from Fangoria:

There's still a lot of work left, plus we have to design all the promotional material, like the one sheets, the trailers and whatnot. That will probably quickly go into prepping the DVD, because I shot a lot of stuff for the disc that was never meant to be in the film. There's like a two-hour documentary with tons and tons of stuff in it. I knew there was a lot I had to include, so there's going to be a lot of time prepping that.
Sounds like a documentary and deleted scenes or an extended version of the film is coming our way!!

And now the some possiblity of a director's cut DVD:

The funny thing about director's cuts that's sort of heinous...is that, as a director, you sort of feel that the release is the director's cut, since you sat for so long cutting it. The 'non-MPAA cut' is what people are asking for. We may do one someday, because I believe I'm contractually obligated for it, so someone will probably make me do it. Going back and having to re-edit that movie seems like a nightmare to me. I wish I'd done it at the time. I'm doing all that for Rejects, because going back and recutting House of 1000 Corpses would be like taking your high school yearbook photo again because you think you might look cooler now. I'm sure, at some point, I'll return to it
So even though he's not sounding like he wants to do it, we may see a "director's cut" of House of 1000 Corpses someday!
Old 05-23-05, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Informative read. I think that I'll pick up this isuue. Thanks.
Old 05-24-05, 10:40 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
but what's the story of The Devil's Reject - I missed a sneak preview of it last week, I would assume it was a MPAA rated cut of the film, has it's gore been excised for the sake of it's R-rating?
Old 05-24-05, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
but what's the story of The Devil's Reject - I missed a sneak preview of it last week, I would assume it was a MPAA rated cut of the film, has it's gore been excised for the sake of it's R-rating?
A little but not much. It's still really intense.
Old 05-25-05, 12:28 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Here's a mini-review that I sent to Harry Knowles at aintitcool.com

Don't hate the messenger as I really wanted this film to be great!

--------------------------

I, too, attended the Devil's Rejects in Cincinnati on
May 12 and here are my thoughts:

A) Rob Zombie is still great with visuals: The film
has a wonderful 1970's look (including everything from
the retro opening credits, costumes, cars, and even
the overall color scheme splashed up on the screen).

B) The Devil's Rejects has a few genuinely funny
scenes (the best of which conjures up Elvis and
Groucho Marx).

C) William Forsythe does a good job of playing the
Sheriff and Priscilla Barnes (of 3's Company fame) is
fantastic in a thoroughly degrading role (someone
should look into giving her more work!).

D) The soundtrack is pretty good.

And, other than that, this movie has absolutely
nothing else going for it!

As a person who loves horror/slasher movies, I knew
things were going downhill when halfway through the
film I turned to a friend and said, "How can something
so violent be so boring?".

And, although this movie is super violent, it is
really not very gory at all (which I can handle, by
the way). Zombie actually did a good job of leaving a
lot of the gore to your imagination. On the other
hand though, what the movie lacked in gore, Zombie
quickly made up for in ultra violence.

The sad thing is that none of the violence "mattered"
-- and that is the main failure of this film.

After sitting through scene after scene of "what's the
point" violence you simply stop caring about the film
being projected on the screen!

Here are some examples (Spoilers Ahead!):

1) With the "Clan" on the run from various locations,
they decide to meet up at a hotel in the desert.
While waiting (and for no apparent reason) they
kidnap, terrorize, rape and torture the members of a
country & western band. So... do these actions move
the film forward? No, they have absolutely nothing to
do with the story and simply waste a LOT of screen
time (my best guess was 20 Minutes!).

2) Otis takes some guys out to a remote location to
dig up a cache of weapons. They turn against him when
he says he's going to kill them after the digging is
done. Of course, Otis ends up violently killing them,
but the weapons cache never comes up in the movie EVER
AGAIN!

Just when you think there might be a plot forming, it
slips between your fingers and lands in all the
pretty, pretty blood! I kept asking myself, "where
are they going now?" and "why did they do that?" and
all because the film has no plot other than a
side-story of a vengeful Sheriff (which should have
been the main storyline since there's nothing else
going on other than a "clan on the run").

In addition, this movie had a lot of things going on
that Zombie should have been embarassed to have in his
screenplay: Characters who appear only during the
first 3 minutes of the film yet return for 45 seconds
at the end of the film to "save the day"; Gunshots and
screams in an occupied hotel that fail to draw the
slightest bit of attention; A damsel in distress who
escapes her captors against all odds only to be bumped
of in a freak accident (total rip-off of Final
Destination); And tons of "you should have killed him
while he was down 'cause you know he ain't dead yet"
scenes!!

As much as I hate to say it, I was ready to walk out
of The Devil's Rejects -- and not due to excessive
gore or violence; but because of simple boredom!

I only stayed because I felt I owed it to the Lion's
Gate, which hosted the screening. Imagine my surprise
when the studio rep looked like she could care less
about our comments. They didn't pass out cards for us
to rate the film, ask us if we liked the film or even
take notes of the comments people volunteered as they
filtered out of the theater!

Perhaps, like me, they were so bored they didn't care
anymore.
Old 05-25-05, 02:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I won't let that review get me down and am still pumped to see the film.

Corpses got terrible reviews when it was released,and I still went to see it..and enjoyed it's twisted macabre ride.

Of course Corpses does have some problems which Zombie admits in the Fangoria interview. Basically it was slapped together and filmed with little to no preproduction planning. They just shot what they could and spliced it altogether(which shows).

But since it kept my interest,despite the 'what the fuck?' nature of it all. I liked that it kept surprising me every step of the way,by doing the exact opposite of what I was expecting.

Anyway Zombie mentions putting alot of preproduction planning into Rejects,to try to make a really good professional quality type film. I am hoping that is true,and that the film delivers a wicked sinister crazy ride. Even if it keeps pulling the rug out from under us. While doing things we didn't expect and sometimes making us wonder "Where is this going?" like in Corpses.
Old 05-25-05, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
They just shot what they could and spliced it altogether(which shows).
Where exactly does it show? I think, even though he didn't prepare very much, that the film was very well done. And I don't think it looks bad, at all!
Old 05-25-05, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Where exactly does it show? I think, even though he didn't prepare very much, that the film was very well done. And I don't think it looks bad, at all!
Well some of the abrupt-numerous quick cuts,especially durring the lead up to the gang entering the house basically.

He could have easily built up the atmosphere in many shots,and it briefly appears like he was,but then he screws it up with abrupt edits being too impatient.

A good example would be the gang in the car,as they think they hear something. The camera slowly pans by the car outside with nothing but the rain being heard pouring down. But this lasts all about a milisecond,when they see the mechanic guy appear in front of the car,everyone starts screaming(more numerous edits,loud soundtrack)...before they realize it's just the tow truck driver.

Also before the tire is blown/shot out. Instead of building up,it just is bang..tire is out,they are stuck..and then in a milisecond decide who wants to go get some help. But again it just jumps ahead too much with no build up and happens way to fast to truely get into their plight.

But as the film goes along,the quick edits slow down abit,and the film is slightly more tolerable.

I like it and all,the set design,use of color..and some of the camera tricks are eye and ear candy. The charecters are memorable and really damn twisted. Even I was disturbed and on edge durring the 'pit' sequence since I didn't know where it was going,and all seemed hopless for the charecters(which is a good feeling,since it makes it more frightening).

But I will admit,their were times when it seems he was too slapdash,when he could have built up a more sinister atmosphere durring the first half. The opening pan shot of Caption Spauldings place is a great example. Very sinister vibe with that shot. Yet then it just jumps right into various things with little to no build up. So it took some getting used to at first.
Old 05-25-05, 04:07 PM

Location: Chicago...NOT my kind of town, I hate urban living, but have no choice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMG! A movie called called Devils Rejects has SENSELESS and POINTLESS Ultra Violence?

I am SO FUCKING THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOO-HOO!!!!!!

Old 05-25-05, 04:40 PM

Same here Aero

I love how people complain about violence in exploitation films. Then again people take films to seriouslly today. That when a film like Sin City..or Rejects comes along. They don't know how to react to the gleefully over the top brutal carnage.

Meanwhile they have no problem watching bloodless shoot em up's where you don't feel any real emotional reaction to the violence.

So when they actually feel upset with violence,find it disturbing and to mean. They run scared,wanting to be sheltered from such reactions.
Old 05-25-05, 05:15 PM

Location: Chicago...NOT my kind of town, I hate urban living, but have no choice
Hmmmmm...YOU are COOL...your SOooo Cool......

Alabama-True Romance...

Damn you!..... You rejects of the Devil!

Your violence is SOOOOOOOo POINTLESS!!!!!!!!!!

TDR is PURE Exploitation... nothing supposed to make sense in the killings...besides....since when is there ANY "point" to heinous crimes commited in REAL LIFE?
Old 05-26-05, 01:01 PM

Well some of the abrupt-numerous quick cuts,especially durring the lead up to the gang entering the house basically.

He could have easily built up the atmosphere in many shots,and it briefly appears like he was,but then he screws it up with abrupt edits being too impatient.

A good example would be the gang in the car,as they think they hear something. The camera slowly pans by the car outside with nothing but the rain being heard pouring down. But this lasts all about a milisecond,when they see the mechanic guy appear in front of the car,everyone starts screaming(more numerous edits,loud soundtrack)...before they realize it's just the tow truck driver.

Also before the tire is blown/shot out. Instead of building up,it just is bang..tire is out,they are stuck..and then in a milisecond decide who wants to go get some help. But again it just jumps ahead too much with no build up and happens way to fast to truely get into their plight.

But as the film goes along,the quick edits slow down abit,and the film is slightly more tolerable.

I like it and all,the set design,use of color..and some of the camera tricks are eye and ear candy. The charecters are memorable and really damn twisted. Even I was disturbed and on edge durring the 'pit' sequence since I didn't know where it was going,and all seemed hopless for the charecters(which is a good feeling,since it makes it more frightening).

But I will admit,their were times when it seems he was too slapdash,when he could have built up a more sinister atmosphere durring the first half. The opening pan shot of Caption Spauldings place is a great example. Very sinister vibe with that shot. Yet then it just jumps right into various things with little to no build up. So it took some getting used to at first.
It sounds to me like you're describing a horror movie...a common horror movie...and how do you build up a tire blow out? If you were to build it up then it wouldn't be a surprise. For the most part the people in the movie shouldn't know about it, so it's got to be a surprise to us too. I also don't think he lost his paitence so he put in quick edits. He may have, but you're assuming.
Old 05-26-05, 01:22 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Same here Aero
I love how people complain about violence in exploitation films. Then again people take films to seriouslly today. That when a film like Sin City..or Rejects comes along. They don't know how to react to the gleefully over the top brutal carnage.

Meanwhile they have no problem watching bloodless shoot em up's where you don't feel any real emotional reaction to the violence.

So when they actually feel upset with violence,find it disturbing and to mean. They run scared,wanting to be sheltered from such reactions.
No offense, but Sin City was great and should never be compared to The Devil's Rejects. It's like comparing apples to dog crap!

Here's the main point to the review I posted above, "How can something
so violent be so boring?".
Old 05-27-05, 12:00 AM

Then again people take films to seriouslly today. That when a film like Sin City..or Rejects comes along. They don't know how to react to the gleefully over the top brutal carnage.
I just want to go record as saying I didn't react badly to the violence in Sin City, I just think the movie sucked! And I'm not saying anyone pointed out that I did react badly to anything. I just wanted to make sure everyone knew that the movie sucked!
Old 05-28-05, 04:22 PM

Sin City sucked?

On the planet "Ka-Rae-Zee" maybe
Old 05-28-05, 06:02 PM

It's just my opinion. I thought the character's talked waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy too much and the stories weren't all that interesting. I just don't get what the big hype is. My opinion: I didn't like it, but let's not off the subject here
Old 05-31-05, 12:04 PM

I actually meant to make it a funnier post and not sarcastic to your opinion, but I was called away and forgot to change it... I disagree with you but no offense was meant.
Old 08-24-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

from davisdvd

Director Rob Zombie's The Devil's Rejects, an ode to the "take no prisoners" horror films of the 1970s, arrives on November 8th. Lions Gate Home Entertainment will release the film in separate R-rated and unrated editions, each featuring audio commentary by Zombie and actors Sheri Moon Zombie, Sid Haig and Bill Moseley. Other bonus materials will include deleted scenes, footage from "The Morris Green Show" and "Captain Spaulding's Monkey Fried Chicken" TV commercial (both seen in the film), Otis's "Home Movie," a "Captain Spaulding Christmas" spot, blooper reel and music videos. The unrated disc also will feature a feature-length making-of documentary detailing the film's production. Retail will be $28.99.

Old 08-24-05, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks good.

Feature length making of doc....
Old 08-24-05, 05:24 PM

Yesh!!!!!!!
Old 08-24-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
yay! i can't wait.
Old 08-24-05, 05:58 PM

Is anyone going to actually buy the "R-Rated Cut," Especially because it lacks the Documentary?
Old 08-24-05, 07:21 PM

Oh, that is totally awesome!

I can't wait for that! At least Rob Zombie will have others on the commentary this time around. I'm not saying his "House" commentary sucked, it didn't, but it always good when it's a group effort.

Great news on the feature length documentary!!!!
Old 08-24-05, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I absolutely thought this was an awesome movie and will buy on release day. Really looking forward to watching it again.
Old 08-24-05, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts
I'll probably pick up the unrated version. The film didn't bowl me over like I was hoping but it wasn't bad. The disc should be a fun time.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.