New anti piracy method could make loaning DVDs impossible

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New anti piracy method could make loaning DVDs impossible

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-05, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll go on record here proclaiming that this will never, ever happen. It's just arbitrary reasearch. Nothing to get worked up about.
Old 05-21-05, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

so does this mean that if some guy breaks into your house and night and steals your dvd collection he'll also have to go to your room and steal your finger to watch them too? that doesn't sound very nice.
Old 05-22-05, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Djangoman
To protect DVD from piracy, well, in terms of software it has to be in copy protection. I don't know much about technology, but I believe that's the thing that should be emphasized instead of this ridiculous fingerprint. The idea is to make illegal copying impossible. Copy protection, that's it. Period. It's an everlasting battle of course, anyone with knowledge would be challenged to break the code, but that's life. But still the idea would be the same. Not by limiting the use like the new "technology" we're discussing now.

Now what about backup, well, studio/ manufacturer has to provide cheaper price so people would think it's better to buy another DVD as backup instead of copying. the gap between buying new original DVD and making a copy should be narrowed and narrowed and narrowed, until if possible, cheaper to buy new. Yeah, like comrade klandersen said above.

All these steps should be combined with better law enforcement of course, since piracy out there is not just petty organization but very very large and organized network.
I 100% disagree. The ONLY way to curb rampant piracy is to make a value-added item at an attractive price. Copy protection and stuff like that only jarm those who have a legit reason for copying.

If I buy something, I should be able to make a back up copy to protect the original.

Make things cheap and attractive and the masses will make you rich. This is why DVD is so successful, but the greedy bastards want more.
Old 05-22-05, 11:04 AM

The only way to stop piracy is to lower DVD prices so that they are cheaper than the price it would cost to copy them. As long as blank media is cheaper than the official DVDs, piracy will continue on every medium, because no matter how they try to code DVDs to avoid piracy, there will always be hackers who will decode it. So solving the problem is simple, keep the price low, and everyone will be happy...except the greedy studios who want more of the people's cash that is.

Last edited by Cocopugg; 05-22-05 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-22-05, 11:51 AM

100% agree. The big studios, certainly, could probably easily undercut the cost of a pirate copy in a mass marketing exercise (certainly, once one has factored in the cost for the pirate to actually make the things, ie "labour" costs). Once this is done, piracy would simply wither on the vine since no one would want an inferior copy, in poor packaging etc, when a genuine copy could be had for the same price.

I would say that one of the biggest causes of COPYRIGHT violations is not the copying of existing DVD's, but the circulation of material that people want, but cannot get, on genuine DVD.

Anti-piracy will never succeed. The manufacturers, and studios, with all their money will never match the resources of millions of motivated, ingeneous individuals.

That stupid tagging thing would instantly be crashed by the fact that any tag which is writeable in a store would be vulnerable to be RE-written....

Not to mention the utter stupidity of the whole concept in the first place. Like the whole world is going to pay extra for players (and DVD's - those tags are gonna bump up the manufacture and store costs) that actually make life more inconvenient and restrictive and which offer absolutely no benefit to anyone except DVD makers.

This will never see the light of day. It's one of those weird ideas by academics who live on a different planet to the rest of us.
Old 05-22-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dx23
Or maybe it was that for the first time, the monkeys in the lab actually ran the research.

Damn PETA, damn them to hell!!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah, okay, that'll make it. Make people have to buy NEW DVD players for a fingerprint scan and I'm sure all stores are looking forward to have to buy new iris scan things.
Old 05-22-05, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So my family can't play any DVD's if I'm not home?
Old 05-23-05, 04:18 AM

In addition to the suggestions already made to combat piracy:

Companies already often offer 2 or more versions of the same dvd. If they want to put piracy out of business, they should offer an insanely cheap, barebones edition in a cheap cardboard sleeve and a legal online download for a buck or two as soon as the movie is released in theatres. Then have your lowish quality 5.00 dvd release. Then offer outstanding collectors editions that we can't turn down, and go ahead and charge those who are willing to pay for them the current 20 bucks.
Old 05-23-05, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jetflair
In addition to the suggestions already made to combat piracy:

Companies already often offer 2 or more versions of the same dvd. If they want to put piracy out of business, they should offer an insanely cheap, barebones edition in a cheap cardboard sleeve and a legal online download for a buck or two as soon as the movie is released in theatres. Then have your lowish quality 5.00 dvd release. Then offer outstanding collectors editions that we can't turn down, and go ahead and charge those who are willing to pay for them the current 20 bucks.

movie theaters would bitch if they released these things at the same time as theater. Remember when From Justin to Kelly was supposed to be released as a sell through like 3 months after theater? The theaters bitched about that even though they couldn't have made more than 12 bucks total on that movie from the showings
Old 05-23-05, 11:13 AM

Stupidity or marketing?

Maybe this is just a marketing ploy to get people to go out and buy more DVD's now, before any such scheme is implemented.
Old 05-23-05, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I'm gonna consent to get my finger scanned in order to watch a movie I paid money for, or pay $5 (or for that matter, $1) to have it 'legitimized' if I receive one as a gift....as well as replace my DVD players to accomodate the poor, poor studios. Anything that they try akin to this will never get off the ground or else would kill a monsterous moneymaking industry. The companies are bringing in cash hand over fist as things are. Movies that do only so-so at the box office are making up for all or much of their losses these days in DVD sales and rentals. DVD sales are prosperous, but DVD rentals are just as much so. Make the average customer have to jump through hoops like this just to rent or buy a movie and he's going to do neither and start watching movie channels for entertainment.
Old 05-25-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm fairly certian that this would be a dismal failure from a dvd/consumer copy protection standpoint; however, I really do think that this could have very significant security ramifications on any industry that is involved in in-house distribution of materials.

Example: In many, many bigger workplaces, employees are fingerprinted as part of a background investigation. Perhaps assigning those fingerprints codes that can be embedded into any training materials or documentation distributed by disc so that only the intended individuals have access would be a useful application. I could see this being a method by which Companies can secure thier training or sensitive materials. I'm sure the government secret-squrriel possibilities for this are virtually endless...