Ben-Hur 4-disc Collector's Edition

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
Sounds about right.
Thanks. As an addition from widescreenmuseum.org:

The second difference was that the lenses were anamorphic rather than spherical. Testing during development changed the anamorphic compression factor from about 1.4:1 to 1.33:1 to 1.25:1. Most information for that period documents the compression as being 1.33:1. All the Camera 65 lenses are still in existence today and are indeed marked 1.33 anamorphosis. In fact the lenses were rebuilt for a squeeze of 1.25:1 but the markings were never changed. M-G-M Camera 65 (Metro's name for the format, Robert Gottschalk called the system Ultra Panavision from its inception) used a 1.25:1 anamorphic compression with a frame size identical to Todd-AO, yielding an image with a total aspect ratio of 2.76:1, the most extreme of all the various widescreen systems developed to date. It should be noted that a number of publications discussing this system referred to it as MGM Panavision, which was probably due to the fact that the early camera blimps had that painted on the front.

While it was possible to use the entire 2.76:1 image on the theatre screen, as a matter of practice the ratio was kept at about 2.5:1 so that theatres weren't required to install new wider screens or curtail the height of those already installed. Initial 35mm anamorphic prints were matted to yield a 2.5:1 aspect ratio with Magoptical soundtracks. So despite the total 2.76:1 aspect ratio, critical information was kept within an area of 2.35 to 2.5:1.
Old 05-13-05, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ben Hur is on my personal list of top favorites, so I am very much looking forward to this. It's overdue, imo.
Old 05-13-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Might buy this...it's certainly enticing. Depends on reviews, I think (aspect ratio, etc.) as I already owned the DVD-18 version.
Old 05-13-05, 09:33 PM

"Your eyes are full of hate, forty-one. That's good. Hate keeps a man alive."
man, i love this movie. Definate double dip. It would be sweet if they got chuck to do a commentary.
Old 05-13-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes. I'd love a commentary by Heston. It would be a good thing that they had this before his Alzheimer's hit.
Old 05-13-05, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's already a commentary by Heston on the current release, a decent one that's over a select number of scenes in the movie. I have to doubt that they'll record a new one with him for this edition.
Old 05-14-05, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is a must buy for me
Old 05-14-05, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even though this movie is highly regarded, I think it aged well and is underrated.
Old 05-25-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

from dvd answers

street date and full specs

Title: Ben Hur
Starring: Charlton Heston
Released: 13th September 2005
SRP: $39.92

Further Details
Warner has kindly sent over artwork for a four-disc collector's edition of Ben Hur which should be arriving in shops this September 13th. The set will feature an all-new transfer from newly restored 65mm elements, as well as an English Dolby Digital 5.1 track and the original 1925 silent film version of Ben-Hur. As for the extra material, you should expect a commentary by film historian T. Gene Hatcher with Scene Specific Comments from Charlton Heston, a music-only track showcasing Miklos Rozsa’s score, screen tests, a vintage news reels gallery, highlights from the 1960 Academy Awards Ceremony, and a theatrical trailer gallery. Completing the package will be a Ben-Hur: The Epic That Changed Cinema documentary, the 1994 Documentary Ben-Hur: The Making of an Epic, Hosted by Christopher Plummer, the 1986 Emmy Award nominated documentary Directed by William Wyler featuring the last interview with Wyler before his death, and lastly a Ben-Hur: A Journey Through Pictures feature which is described as a new audiovisual recreation of the popular film via stills, storyboards, sketches, music and dialogue.
Old 05-25-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

must....own....this.
Old 05-26-05, 12:02 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 05-26-05, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
Four discs is excessive for anyone who doesn't adore the film, BUT, that's what I love about WB. They package their DVDs with the film buffs in mind. I think they've done the best job with their classic film library in the sense of restoring them and packaging them as incredible DVD sets. Everyone's always riding Criterion's jock, but to me, WB's two-disc SEs are some of the best DVDs out there. They package a great film with no shortage of bonus materials. And usually at half the price of a CC title. But, no spine number = no love, I guess.
Or, you can appreciate both?

-JP
Old 05-26-05, 05:14 AM

Oh I am definitely all over this one!! Only $39.98 too!!! Yes, finally the way it should be!! What most excites me is that they are mastering from the 65mm print as opposed to the 35mm. If it's anything like SPARTACUS it will be excellent!!
Old 05-26-05, 06:42 AM
Suspended

So does it look like there's any reason at all to keep the old disc?
Old 05-26-05, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Looking like a new addition to my collection.
Old 05-26-05, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by davcole
Oh I am definitely all over this one!! Only $39.98 too!!! Yes, finally the way it should be!! What most excites me is that they are mastering from the 65mm print as opposed to the 35mm. If it's anything like SPARTACUS it will be excellent!!
I would not be shocked if the price was less than that on release week.
Old 05-26-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RevKarl
There were many complaints to Warner Home Video that the image on the current Ben-Hur DVD is cropped; however, the studio has made it very clear in various interviews that the new transfer for the upcoming 4-Disc set has corrected that issue.
I heard that when it first came out and compared it to my laserdisc. The DVD was indeed slightly cropped on both sides compared to the LD.
Old 05-28-05, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Update from digitalbits:

The big one we need to report today, is that Warner has officially announced the release of a Ben Hur: 4-Disc Collector's Edition for 9/13 (SRP $39.92). The film has been carefully remastered from the original 65mm film elements. You'll find that on Disc One and Two of the set, in anamorphic widescreen video (2.76:1 aspect ratio) with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. These first two discs will also include audio commentary by film historian T. Gene Hatcher (with scene specific comments from actor Charlton Heston), a music-only track showcasing Miklos Rozsa's score, screen test footage, a vintage newsreels gallery, film highlights from the 1960 Academy Awards ceremony and a theatrical trailer gallery. Disc Three will include the 1925 Silent Version of Ben-Hur, presented in the Thames Television Restoration, complete with stereophonic orchestral score by composer Carl Davis. Finally, Disc Four will include a new documentary Ben-Hur: The Epic That Changed Cinema (featuring interviews with current filmmakers like Ridley Scott and George Lucas reflecting on the importance and influence of the film), the 1994 documentary Ben-Hur: The Making of an Epic hosted by Christopher Plummer, the 1986 Directed by William Wyler documentary (featuring the last interview with Wyler before his death) and Ben-Hur: A Journey Through Pictures ( a new audiovisual recreation of the film via stills, storyboards, sketches, music and dialogue). All told, the 4-disc set includes more than 10 hours of bonus material. You'll find the cover art below.

I think I'm going to love this one
Old 05-28-05, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i wish warner would give us more 4 disc sets...once a year is not enough....this is going to be great
Old 05-28-05, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Sure, use it as your drink coaster when watching the 4-disc SE.
Old 05-28-05, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never seen this movie but looking forward to it.
Old 05-29-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PatrickMcCart
Sure, use it as your drink coaster when watching the 4-disc SE.

Best. Reply. Ever.
Old 05-29-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Anytime a new version of a dvd is announced, everyone thinks the current version will be useless, but at least half of the time, die hard fans will find some mistake or alteration in the new version that will make them glad they held onto the older disc.

I suspect that the upcoming Ben-Hur set will be a better than the current one, but I will not be getting rid of the disc I have now, until I own and have viewed the newer set.
Old 05-29-05, 01:52 PM
Suspended

Well it's always a gamble. If we wait to sell the old version until after the new version is released, the market is saturated with the old version and it's nearly worthless.
Old 05-30-05, 01:47 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Will definitely double-dip on this one

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.