DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Simpsons - Season 6 - August 16th, 2005

Old 06-20-05, 10:39 PM

Man... That's what happens when you get marketers in a room trying to prove their need to exist.

Head Marketer: "Our sales are sliding as we move through each subsequent Simpson's set, Why?"

Marketer #1: "Our research says that consumers are losing interest..."

Head Marketer: "Why?"

Marketer #1: "The length of time between sets."

Marketer #2: "NO! It's the packaging!"

Head Marketer: (Checking his latest paycheck..) "Are you sure."

Marketer #1: "Why not speed up the releases?"

Marketer #2: "Then what would we do when we were finished?"

Head Marketer: (Kissing his paycheck) "Good point, change the packaging that should keep us employeed for another... Hold on a sec... (to himself) 2 seasons a year, 10 more seasons... Five more years!"

fitprod

Last edited by fitprod; 06-20-05 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-20-05, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Watch them go right back to the old style for season 7...leaving the ugly duckling season 6...
Old 06-20-05, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am wondering how the Marge head will fit on my DVD shelf.

I just hope a regular case is inside the packaging. This kind of stuff was kinda cool for Battlestar Galactica the Complete Series, but I just don't need another collectible case laying around (assuming the regular DVD case can be taken out of the Homer box.)
Old 06-20-05, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Artman
Watch them go right back to the old style for season 7...leaving the ugly duckling season 6...
That is what I was worried about at first but it is nice to see them say they plan on releasing 7-10 with similar packaging. I don't mind the change at all. I have all of my TV on DVD displayed on two bookcases so this will be nice to display with Homer looking at you from the shelf.
Old 06-20-05, 11:04 PM

Where are Homer's 3 strands of hair? He doesn't look quite right to me without them. Throw 'em in and I'm sold.

Though perhaps they should've jarringly changed the packaging around season 9/10, to reflect when the show jumped the shark.
Old 06-20-05, 11:14 PM

I don't like the fact that the "sameness" of Seasons 1 thru 5 is being so drastically destroyed by this new S.6 look. Although, gotta say, it is colorful. (Perhaps "movable eyeballs" would be a good idea here; that'd be something kinda new -- instead of "animated menus", we'd get "Animated Packaging". )

Someone earlier mentioned the "Marge head" package. Good point -- with her six-mile-high head of hair, that one will take up two shelves (vertically). LOL!

Re. this packaging -- From this 3-D look at it, I can't see HOW a "regular" style box could FIT INSIDE this thing -- doesn't appear nearly DEEP enough to accommodate it (unless they've "pulled an Andy Griffith" and replaced the previously-used Digipaks with "ThinPak" cases and have them as "Double ThinPaks", with more than 1 disc per slim case inside this Homer Head).

But, if this is not just a "shell" to house another box, I don't like the fact there's no spine text at all here. That ain't good at all.

Last edited by davidvp; 06-20-05 at 11:19 PM.
Old 06-20-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As much as I hate and distrust Fox, I can't see them abandoning the style of the previous seasons totally. They cant be that fucking stupid to change a case this far in. They haven't done anything like this with the numerous other longer running shows they have put out that I can think of. There HAS to be a normal case inside that thing and if not I might finally get into custom covers to hide this monstrosity.
Old 06-20-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Agree with David, I think it's wishful thinking for their to be a regular case in there.

For the Marge I figured it out - just use the top of her hair. It'd look distinct and people would still know what/who it's supposed to be. Lisa and Maggie would be tougher as their heads are more rounded in shape...I hope Bart is next though.
Old 06-20-05, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was also hoping that this was a limited edition type case, and that they would also release the set in a case like we had before. Sadly, I can't find any where online selling two versions of this.

I have never called Fox before about any of their DVD releases, but am seriously contemplating it with this.
Old 06-20-05, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
As much as I hate and distrust Fox, I can't see them abandoning the style of the previous seasons totally. They cant be that fucking stupid to change a case this far in. They haven't done anything like this with the numerous other longer running shows they have put out that I can think of. There HAS to be a normal case inside that thing and if not I might finally get into custom covers to hide this monstrosity.
They changed the package for Futurama on the 4th volume (and that was the last one).

I also wonder if this delayed the season a little.
Old 06-20-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cerial442
They changed the package for Futurama on the 4th volume (and that was the last one).

I also wonder if this delayed the season a little.
Yeah there is a slipcover but from where I am sitting at my computer desk all 4 season appear similar and it took me going over to that shelf and checking the last season to even recall there was a slipcover. Stupid move but I guess I don't see it as being drastic as the Homer head.

Last edited by MasterofDVD; 06-21-05 at 12:22 AM.
Old 06-21-05, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not exceptionally thrilled about this change. I don't like sets like this, and I don't have enough room to properly display 5 heads. Hopefully another set will come out similar to the previous seasons.
Old 06-21-05, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Personally, I kinda like the change. My only grip is the fact that there is no writting on the spine, that just looks tacky, the only other DVD that I can think about that doesn't have the writting is "Northern Exposure"
Old 06-21-05, 01:34 AM

It's a very cool case, but they should keep the style of the previous seasons.

Oh well. I don't plan on buying the sets. They're only on 100392398234087 times a day.
Old 06-21-05, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I like the old style. Oh well.
Old 06-21-05, 03:07 AM

So DVDFreaker does that mean I have won?
Old 06-21-05, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SFranke
What the hell?
Surely the normal digipack must be available as well? That would stand out like a sore theumb on anybody's shelf. And where would the 4 discs go?
I'm probably stopping buying these sets of after S8. Hopefully S5 will be cheaper when S6 is out
Old 06-21-05, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wonderful, fantastic, but no thanks.
Old 06-21-05, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did Fox run out of couch gags for the boxsets or something?

I mean the packaging looks nice, but I perfer uniformity for my packaging because it looks nicer as a whole.

EDIT: Now after looking at it a little closer, I'm starting to dislike the packaging, it looks like something that would hold typical Simpsons merchandise, not much like a Simpsons DVD boxset.

Last edited by Simpson Purist; 06-21-05 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-21-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by grim_tales
What the hell?
And where would the 4 discs go?
Homer's head.

Originally Posted by grim_tales
I'm probably stopping buying these sets of after S8.
Possibly knowing s9 and 10 aren't as popular I can imagine them thinking "If we do the different packaging in sets of 5, fans will feel compelled to buy all 5. Brilliant!"
Old 06-21-05, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess I am the only one that likes it... alot. I think it'll look smooth with the other family heads on the shelf. And yes, I do have the other five seasons.
Old 06-21-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm in between. I'm not bothered too much by the discontinuity... but it would be sweet if the box inside was the same as the other sets but yellow. You can see the rectangular shaping of how the box would fit on the case so, it's quite possible the box may be inside. Who knows. I'm personally going to buy this set for the great season, and that's it. Hopefully it's somewhat of a durable case, that will be my only qualm.
Old 06-21-05, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Artman
Agree with David, I think it's wishful thinking for their to be a regular case in there.
i disagree. if you take a closer look at the image it shows a rectangular outline. if you keep the dimensions of a dvd disc itself in mind, clearly, this case would have to have enough room to house the digipak design they've been releasing. as for the depth, the only image we've seen seems to hide the true depth of the case.

continuity has been an obvious interest to someone in the production of these sets, probably Groening himself...given that fact i seriously doubt this is anything but a more elaborate "slipcase-type" design holding a digipak in the style most of us have come to know and love.
Old 06-21-05, 12:58 PM

I think that packaging is a dumb move on FOX's part, as it ruins the continuity of the other seasons, but its "The Simpsons" and therefore I will buy ANYTHING to do with them...Damn You FOX!!! You've done it again
Old 06-21-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hope your right Riot. Maybe it is just the front part of the case... I don't see how it could open otherwise. There's also that flattened portion on top, maybe it snaps together at the top and bottom w/ the yet-to-be-seen back half?

Might be on to something there...

Nevermind....seems it is the case. Bunk. But what does Fox care, it'll still be a sale to them. I suppose a booklet would be too much to ask for as well...

Time to get crackin on some cover art...

Last edited by Artman; 06-21-05 at 05:49 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.