DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Simpsons - Season 6 - August 16th, 2005

Old 08-16-05, 10:32 PM

I wouldn't have a problem with the new cases if I knew what their plans were for the rest of the sets? If this FOX had the guts to commit to this packaging plan, I'd be fine with it, and I'd even probably support them going back and making heads for the first 5 seasons. My concern is that they will say "well people didn't like the Homer head, lets go back to plain boxes" and I'll have this 1 set that just sticks out. I'd feel much more comfortable if they said "Season 7 is Marge's head, Season 8 is Bart..." etc. Admittedly, they would probably go back on their word, but I'd still take some comfort in knowing they have a plan.
Old 08-16-05, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I purchased this from Best Buy tonight. No 800 insert with mine?
I just got mine from Best Buy tonight and mine has TWO of the "For all those that fear change...." inserts! I guess I have yours.

[comicbookguy] worst.....packaging......ever [/comicbookguy]

Last edited by viking99; 08-16-05 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-16-05, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd feel much more comfortable if they said "Season 7 is Marge's head, Season 8 is Bart..." etc.
That is, in fact, what is happening. Well, Bart is Season Ten.
Old 08-16-05, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bought my copy today, the new style is OK, but I'm getting the old style just because it's easier to deal with, and fits better on the shelf.
If it was up to me, I would have all DVD box sets similar to FUTURAMA and FIREFLY (among others). Love those super slim cases!
Old 08-16-05, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wonder if Season 7 will go back to the old box? I hope so! This new style sucks! Anyway, the stamp is on the envelope ready to be mailed tomorrow.
Old 08-16-05, 11:36 PM

Is there any indication that the "original style case" will be a limited thing? I want to pick this up within the next couple of months, but will get it now if need be. I have to get the damn box.
Old 08-17-05, 12:06 AM

even though i was disappointed that the new cases wouldn't match (without sending away for a cardboard version) i really really wanted to like this new design. well, let me rephrase...i really wanted Fox to put out such a clever and awesome design that it would win me over. and like many of you out there, i really feel they fell short. yes, they are going out of their way to make the "very derivative, just-like-before box" available to us pains in the ass but i really feel they could have done more to make the Homer's head design more workable and user friendly. i envisioned something more sturdy...a case able to stand up without the aid of the fairly cheesy slipcover they decided to go with.

along with the cardboard case offer: A for effort...C for execution.
Old 08-17-05, 12:39 AM

The new packaging? Meh.
Old 08-17-05, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Originally Posted by mzupeman2
I'm surprised nobody has been begging to know what the traditional style box art looks like. That's what I would really love to know! Especially what color.
That's what I'd like to know...where's the pics?
Old 08-17-05, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I can't say I'm impressed with the new packaging scheme. It looks cool and makes for a nice "novelty" look, but it's very flimsy and hard to open. That being said, it's what on the inside that counts, and it's fan-friggin-tastic. The video/audio quality is great, and the extras keep getting better and better. The Airplane featurette brings me hope that by the season 7 or 8 DVD that they will do one talking about the Simpsons house in Nevada. Also, am I the only one that remembers watching the "Springfield's Most Wanted" special? I kinda enjoyed watching that special when it originally aired before Part 2 of Who Shot Mr. Burns, I'd never thought I'd see it on the DVD, very nice touch.
Old 08-17-05, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's pretty funny that the same types of people who will bitch and moan about not liking the box their cartoon DVDs are sold in are the ones who will post threads in other wondering why they can't get laid.
Old 08-17-05, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
It's pretty funny that the same types of people who will bitch and moan about not liking the box their cartoon DVDs are sold in are the ones who will post threads in other wondering why they can't get laid.
I'm bitching about my Cartoon box, and I'm getting pink from one fine ass chick, funny huh. You need to re-think your theory and come up with a new hypothesis. Now get me some coffee.

Last edited by Get Me Coffee; 08-17-05 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-17-05, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Soooo...

Did you not read the rules for posting in these forums, or do you think you're too good to follow the rules?
Old 08-17-05, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hahaha, you are so right. That is so flippin' funny... wait... I think I posted something in a thread recently about me not being able to get...
Old 08-17-05, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Guy I work with bought his from BB yesterday and says it doesn't have the 1-800 insert.

I've got my form ready to mail in. Just need to buy the DVDs.
Old 08-17-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you talking from experience?
Old 08-17-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
I'm surprised nobody has been begging to know what the traditional style box art looks like. That's what I would really love to know! Especially what color.
This is just my guess here, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the box was : A big white box with a picture of Homer's head on it. Think about it : there's nothing to re-design, nobody has to be paid extra while new themes are being created, they can keep their future season sets as they had planned even if they scrap the plastic cases in the future or if it becomes cost-prohibitive for future printings. Makes by far the most sense -- people here will be disappointed of course, but you'll have your box.

I sincerely hope that they change that packing style-- it's ugly and flimsy and won't line up next to my other seasons. I'll be very disappointed if I have to send in $3 for every upcoming season set.
Old 08-17-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
This is just my guess here, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the box was : A big white box with a picture of Homer's head on it. Think about it : there's nothing to re-design, nobody has to be paid extra while new themes are being created, they can keep their future season sets as they had planned even if they scrap the plastic cases in the future or if it becomes cost-prohibitive for future printings. Makes by far the most sense -- people here will be disappointed of course, but you'll have your box.
If FOX does that, they will have A LOT of pissed off customers!

I just bought my set and sealed the envelope to mail in. Too bad mail already picked up today.
Old 08-17-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

just because your boyfriend gave you some last night don't give you no reason to ba a playa-hata aight!
Old 08-17-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Someone needs a green tea enema.

Got my set and can't wait to get the replacement box so I can run this one over with the car.
Old 08-17-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sinned
just because your boyfriend gave you some last night don't give you no reason to ba a playa-hata aight!
oooh, a gay joke. brutal.
Old 08-17-05, 11:49 AM

oooh, a gay joke. brutal.
you didn't exactly take the high road with your initial post. if you don't like whats being talked about in here then don't click on the thread anymore.
Old 08-17-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rdclark
And you know what? The stuff actually on the discs is pretty darned excellent!
you know damn well that has nothing to do with the issue here. the only reason we buy dvds is so that we can show off in the home theater picture thread.

right?
Old 08-17-05, 12:01 PM

for those who dont have that 1-800 number insert, you can also send in your sales receipt in lieu of that slip. Those sets might have been produced before Fox thought people would complain, and therefore did'nt include the slips.
Old 08-17-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It really is too bad they used the flimsy packaging for Homers head. Now that I've had the set and I've been looking it over, it's really not that bad of a concept at all. I mean, I love how there's a card on the inside that you can use for the back of the inside of the case, that looks like an x-ray of homers head. I also love the booklet! It reminds me of the Simpsons book you can get in book stores that acts as an episode guide. Ah well.... sent out for the 'old' packaging in the mail today.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.