DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Simpsons - Season 6 - August 16th, 2005

Old 08-14-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just got mine in the mail and I must say this is some of the worst packaging I have ever seen. It's flimsy, it's cheap and unable to stand up. The only poetic justice would have been if the number mistake was to a law firm.
Definately will be ordering the replacement box.
Old 08-14-05, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rexinnih
Just got mine in the mail and I must say this is some of the worst packaging I have ever seen. It's flimsy, it's cheap and unable to stand up. The only poetic justice would have been if the number mistake was to a law firm.
Definately will be ordering the replacement box.
Guess I will order the other box to hold the discs and just display the head on the top shelf. I liked the idea of it, but if the plastic is so cheap that its going to start breaking apart I'm not sure what the point is. Reminds me of the packaging for the Universal Ultimate Editions. All clear plastic that would start splitting along the seams if opened too much.

I'm not usually too concerned about packaging, but I do expect it too hold up to minor wear and tear.
Old 08-14-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fryinpan1
I wonder if Fox will recall these sets due to the incorrect phone number listing. That article indicates that the 1-800 # calls "some accounting firm." I am sure they will be bombarded with calls on Tuesday.
"I hope someone got fired for that blunder!"
Old 08-14-05, 05:10 PM
Political Exile

What's especially weird about them having printed the wrong number is that when I googled the correct number, it's the same number they've been using for years. The correct number is plastered all over the internet. Given that they've been using the same number for years, it seems strange that they would forget their own phone number.
Old 08-15-05, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received mine today. It is a very cool looking case to display, but is not made to take a lot of wear and tear. The four disc trays are held together with tape and you kind of have to wedge everything back in to close it the head which is kind of thin plastic. Considering how often I'm going to be opening and closing this set I am thrilled we can get the old case. I like the design and I've got no problem displaying it, but I hope Fox keeps giving us the old case design as well, because it is much more practical for disc storage.
Old 08-15-05, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We just got our shipment today at my video store. I'd say 90% of the cases were dented, torn or damaged in some way just from the shipping. Beware ordering this guy online unless they pack it well.
Old 08-15-05, 09:56 PM

I received some copies today and I must say that although the "Homer" design is nice, the packaging is pretty bad IMO. It feels "cheap". I really wonder why Fox designed a new case? I suspect Fox will have a lot of complaints over this and thus cause themselves MORE work...

"If it ain't broke, why fix it?"

-Christian
Old 08-15-05, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Originally Posted by seymouru
I asked what the cost would be, and she said it would only be a small shipping charge, but she didn't know how much that would be.
So, they're going to charge us for something we should of gotten in the first place??

Now that I've recieved mine, I'm not as impressed with the new design as I originally thought I'd be. Why couldn't they of at least given us a metal tin instead of cheap plastic? Cheap bastards!
Old 08-16-05, 02:18 AM

I can only say that this horrible packaging is just as sturdy as a McDonald's packaged meal......I feel like I am opening it and getting McD's Big Breakfast, shoot whomever wanted this silly change...

change just for the sake of chage..Fox really got it wrong here.
Old 08-16-05, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have to say that the site devoted to the altenate packaging really pisses me off. They make this drastic change and then put up shit like this:

Old 08-16-05, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
I have to say that the site devoted to the altenate packaging really pisses me off.
You're "really pissed off" about that website? Seriously?

Well, I guess I am, too.

Damn you, Fox, for thinking that Simpsons fans may have a sense of humor about this whole thing.

They shouldn't have even offered this alternative packaging at all, if they were gonna be all smart-assy about it.

Bastards.
Old 08-16-05, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i don't think they really needed anymore feedback...i think the message has come across loud and clear that people don't really like the new package.
Old 08-16-05, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If we can order it online, why do they require proof of purchase? How are you supposed to get it to them?

Or am I looking at that site wrong? I don't have the set yet, but wanted to get a jump on the package.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 08-16-05 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-16-05, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
If we can order it online, why do they require proof of purchase? How are you supposed to get it to them?

Or am I looking at that site wrong? I don't have the set yet, but wanted to get a jump on the package.
You are just getting an order form from the website. You send that in with your proof of purchase.
Old 08-16-05, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by darkside
You are just getting an order form from the website. You send that in with your proof of purchase.
Thanks.

Do we know how long FOX is offering the box for?
Old 08-16-05, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It sure was a lot easier ordering the Lord of the Rings box. No mail-in hassle.
Old 08-16-05, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

That Homer head is awful. And if FOX is going to have an attitude on how I decide to spend MY money, then they can slag off.
Old 08-16-05, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Do we know how long FOX is offering the box for?
"Availability of this Alternative Packaging Program is subject to termination without notice."
Old 08-16-05, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i actually think it is kind of humorous. a bit chintzy, however, to charge 2.95 to ship something by media mail that would have cost around 0.50.
Old 08-16-05, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by unhappy DVDTalker's..
Damn you, Fox, for thinking that Simpsons fans may have a sense of humor about this whole thing.
They shouldn't have even offered this alternative packaging at all, if they were gonna be all smart-assy about it.

Bastards.
I have to say that the site devoted to the altenate packaging really pisses me off. They make this drastic change and then put up shit like this:
The sense of entitlement amongst posters here is astounding....the packaging is not nice- but I am sure the site hits home with some people. I thought the site was hilarious. Anways- Fox, thanks for even offering the alternative packaging..now only if you'd do it for the Alien Quadrilogy!
Old 08-16-05, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, I certainly do see what FOX was trying to do with the order form online and I don't mind it at all, but I can certainly see where some people are definitely going to be upset.

Some people, no matter if they have a sense of humor or not, do not care about being joked around with when they're unsatisfied customers. To some people this new packaging is fine because they can order replacements that are sturdier and more true to the originals, but they really can get quite irritated when FOX starts (even jokingly) picking on their already upset consumers. It's understandable that people are upset. If it was just the packaging design that people are upset with and they want to replace it... fine! But we're in a whole new ballpark now that we all know the packaging for this set is cheap and easily damaged. I do feel that FOX has taken the wrong route with trying to satisfy their irritated customers. They should have known that they were likely to annoy some people with that kind of promotional offer for the original packaging. They DO have a bit of nerve to take that approach after they give us flimsy packaging and expect us to be happy with it.
Old 08-16-05, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kms_md
i actually think it is kind of humorous. a bit chintzy, however, to charge 2.95 to ship something by media mail that would have cost around 0.50.
The charge is for shipping and handling. Part of it goes to pay for the labor involved in opening and processing the mail-in requests.

"Click the button to receive a very derivitive, old style, nothing new, just like before box."

I guess they're trying to give the impression that Homer wrote the copy on the site. That, or they just can't spell derivative.
Old 08-16-05, 09:35 AM

I have not problem whatsoever with the joking around on the website. It's typical Simpsons humor - the kind the show hasn't had in a few years.

FYI, I chose anal-retentive.
Old 08-16-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

for the webpage. It's really spot on if people are getting that miffed about it.
Old 08-16-05, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So now that I actually have this thing, I can safely say that this new packaging is really not that bad.

Am I the only one that has no real problem with it?

Sure, it's a little flimsy - but a lot less flimsy than the original paper packaging.

My set has no damages or problems mentioned in a previous post. The clear slip could have been better implemented, but it's really not that big a deal.

The best part of this packaging is that you will in no way get a floater, like you could with the previous packaging. And that's a whole lot more important than the new box matching the previous 5.

Last edited by slop101; 08-16-05 at 10:34 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.