DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Columbia Fullscreen DVD Re-issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-09, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Columbia Fullscreen DVD Re-issues

Originally Posted by darkhawk
Has Naked in New York and Wholly Moses only been available on dvd in FS? WM says on imdb.com that the correct OAR is 2:35.1. They don't list any for NINY. I've never seen these released in WS or WS/FS flipper.
Both have only been released with modified aspect ratios.
Old 05-09-09, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Does anyone know if Kevin Bacon's Quicksilver was ever released in WS? Thanks.

Last edited by darkhawk; 05-09-09 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-26-09, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by natevines
This is stupid, but I too would like to know the reason.
Is it cheaper? Are people more likely to buy the FS versions?
Brousing through the $5 bargain bin at Walmart and seeing so many titles in [I]full screen[I] I asked an associate about them and she said most of their customers didn't like the 'black bars".

I guess that means maybe Walmart customers don't have widescreen? LOL
Old 05-26-09, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by njwiv
I've bought 6 separate copies of Mixed Nuts, all of which were FS-only despite being labeled as WS/FS flippers. I have given up on it completely.

Jay
Okay, after a few years I finally understand this strategy of re-releasing titles as full screen only. Clever…
Old 05-30-09, 08:22 PM

Remember when everyone was looking for the OOP Wildthings WS/FS flipper at Big Lots? You can get it in WS in a 2-dvd pack with The Craft. I know Ross has it for $4. I own both. Sony re-released Wildthings and did to it like they did Ghostbusters. I've compared the two and the 2-pack Wildthings is missing about a half inch on the right side and a quarter inch on the left. Not much to notice.
Old 05-31-09, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by drak b
Okay, after a few years I finally understand this strategy of re-releasing titles as full screen only. Clever…
Ha! I returned them all, of course, upon opening them to discover that they were mislabeled.

Jay
Old 06-08-09, 12:18 AM
Banned

Has anyone here ever bought a dvd that was fullscreen, knowing that it was fullscreen, when there was no widescreen, but you just had to have it because it was a movie that you really love ? For me, that would be Matilda Special Edition (there is no R1 widescreen. Why ?) and Stand And Deliver. I have no idea of why there are no widescreen dvds of these movies, especially since Matilda is moderately popular. There a few bonus features on the dvd that show clips of the movie in widescreen and it's unbelievable how much of the picture is cut out. But Matilda is one of my favourite movies so, even though I hate fullscreen cuts more than peanut butter, I still had to get it.
Old 06-08-09, 03:03 AM

Two instances in which I had no choice but to go fullscreen.
1) Nighthawks...for the original soundtrack with "Brown Sugar"
2)Just one of the Guys...well, simply because I didn't know any better at the time.

I just simple went R2 for Doc Hollywood instead of waiting for a US release.

TV show sets...well, you just gotta accept them as they are
Old 06-08-09, 07:17 AM

Matilda and Wholly Moses! are the only two from Sony I know of that was never released in a widescreen. There could be more. Warner Bros. did it alot.
Old 06-08-09, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Has anyone here ever bought a dvd that was fullscreen, knowing that it was fullscreen, when there was no widescreen, but you just had to have it because it was a movie that you really love ?
Arthur!
Old 06-08-09, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Has anyone here ever bought a dvd that was fullscreen, knowing that it was fullscreen, when there was no widescreen, but you just had to have it because it was a movie that you really love ? For me, that would be Matilda Special Edition (there is no R1 widescreen. Why ?) and Stand And Deliver. I have no idea of why there are no widescreen dvds of these movies, especially since Matilda is moderately popular. There a few bonus features on the dvd that show clips of the movie in widescreen and it's unbelievable how much of the picture is cut out. But Matilda is one of my favourite movies so, even though I hate fullscreen cuts more than peanut butter, I still had to get it.
All the time. If that's all there is.
Old 06-08-09, 11:03 AM

I recently started going through my collection to figure out what was and was not Non-anamorphic in the hopes of doing some upgrades. I found this site out there which has feature comparisons. It doesn't have every movie ever made, but hope it helps:

Ok, so I can't post links because of some less than 30 post rule for links, but it is called dvdcompare (dot) net. It has been dead on accurate for WS/FS/Anamorphic or non.
Old 06-09-09, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by MoviePhanatic00
I recently started going through my collection to figure out what was and was not Non-anamorphic in the hopes of doing some upgrades. I found this site out there which has feature comparisons. It doesn't have every movie ever made, but hope it helps:

Ok, so I can't post links because of some less than 30 post rule for links, but it is called dvdcompare (dot) net. It has been dead on accurate for WS/FS/Anamorphic or non.
Thanks! I'll check it out.
Old 06-29-18, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

As someone who's been catching up on 1990s thrillers, on the hunt for the widescreen version of Mortal Thoughts. So far have struck out.

I can only hope the full screen re-releases will get the proper widescreen transfers maybe through a MOD program...
Old 06-29-18, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
As someone who's been catching up on 1990s thrillers, on the hunt for the widescreen version of Mortal Thoughts. So far have struck out.

I can only hope the full screen re-releases will get the proper widescreen transfers maybe through a MOD program...
This one is hard to find in the old widescreen/full screen DVD-10 version.
It is 4:3 open matte (I think) which means you can zoom it to create the widescreen effect.

I thought Mill Creek might release this in anamorphic widescreen.
Old 06-29-18, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orangerunner
This one is hard to find in the old widescreen/full screen DVD-10 version.
It is 4:3 open matte (I think) which means you can zoom it to create the widescreen effect.

I thought Mill Creek might release this in anamorphic widescreen.
Are you sure? When looking it up on DVD Profiler, the Full Screen version side was Pan & Scan. If it is open matte, I guess it's better than nothing...
Old 06-29-18, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are you sure? When looking it up on DVD Profiler, the Full Screen version side was Pan & Scan. If it is open matte, I guess it's better than nothing...
Usually people just use the term "Pan and Scan" to describe 4:3 full screen regardless of whether it really is pan and scan or open matte.

The film was originally 1.85:1 so it could be open matte or pan and scanned based on the open matte image.

Last edited by orangerunner; 06-29-18 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-29-18, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, ok. The DVD is cheap enough I might chance it.
Old 06-29-18, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is a review from UK which includes screenshots in (I assume) 1.85:1. I'll compare these to my full screen DVD to see if it's open matte.

https://www.myreviewer.com/DVD/6036/...w-by-Chris-Cox

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2000/11/08/mortal-thoughts

**UPDATE - I had a look at the full screen DVD and there's definitely extra space at the top and bottom but it's only slightly trimmed at the sides compared to the widescreen screenshots posted on those websites. If you zoom the image to 16:9 you're going to more or less get the proper widescreen image.

Another thing I noticed is that when watching a Columbia Pictures film you can tell whether the film is pan & scan or open matte seems to be counting the stairs in the opening logo.
When watching a full screen presentation, if there are three stairs in the logo, it is "pan & scan", if there are a lot more stairs it is open matte.

Last edited by orangerunner; 07-04-18 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-08-18, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the update. Today I did manage to find a widescreen/full screen flipper disc on ebay (w/ pictures of both the back cover and the disc itself) so while I paid more than I normally would for a used DVD, I figured it's better than zooming in.
Old 07-09-18, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the update. Today I did manage to find a widescreen/full screen flipper disc on ebay (w/ pictures of both the back cover and the disc itself) so while I paid more than I normally would for a used DVD, I figured it's better than zooming in.
The proper anamorphic version is always the best way to go. I'm still surprised at how good the picture quality is on most of those original Columbia/Tri-Star releases from 1998/1999.
Old 07-15-18, 07:46 AM
Cool New Member

They still continue with putting full screen DVDs on the market in this 3-movie pack, except for Madeline, that is widescreen.

And it is 2017.
Old 07-16-18, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Danny DeVito is a stickler for quality- I'm surprised he was OK with them putting Matilda out in foolscreen so many times.
Old 07-16-18, 07:18 PM

It's also worth considering that Sony is still unloading old stock.
Old 07-17-18, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Is there a widescreen MATILDA anywhere available in the world..?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.