Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Your wife or girlfriends favorite DVD that you cannot stand watching?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 05-09-05, 03:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that you cannot stand watching?

How do you suffer thru the agony of watching an all female crying hug film overload?
Old 05-09-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought all the Sex and The City seasons for my wife, but I refuse to watch them. I tried to watch a couple of episodes when they first aired on HBO, but didn't care for the show at all.
Old 05-09-05, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I date people partly based on their tastes, so this has never happened to me. My girlfriend and I like many of the same movies.
Old 05-09-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Her favorite movie is Grosse Pointe Blank which is fine by me but the one that she likes to watch that I can't stand is Daredevil -- she's a Jennifer Garner fan. Still it beats being subjected to some romantic dreck.
Old 05-09-05, 04:31 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

my wife's nostalgia for her childhood classics like Ghostbusters and Goonies is admirable, while my girlfriend's preference for Lost in Translation probably stems from that being the first film we saw together. anyway, i don't have a problem with either!

Last edited by Cygnet74; 05-09-05 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-09-05, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
my wife's nostalgia for her childhood classics like Ghostbusters and Goonies is admirable, while my girlfriend's preference for Lost in Translation probably stems from that being the first film we saw together. anyway, i don't have a problem with either!
You have a wife and a girlfriend? Dude, you are too cool!!!
Old 05-09-05, 07:00 PM

All in fun, all in fun.

I'm a 21-year-old senorita and if I had to sit through an "all women crying hug overload" film- I'm assuming you mean the kind with no substance?- I'd fall asleep, get indigestion, or both. Most ladies I know feel the same way, and even the ones who love thems type 'o pictures only watch them in small doses, so I'm sure you can pull her away from the dark side.

But no matter what I like, I've never and will never force a guy I'm dating to watch a film I know he'd hate, I've heard making someone miserable during a date is a bad idea. I've had to watch some boyfriend favorites over the years that are gems though, like Mortal Kombat and anything starring Dolph Lundgren. But if you really dig the person, accept them for stuff like that and instead of "suffer[ing] thru it" just gradually get them watching films you both can enjoy.

And just for balance, almost every male friend I have repeatedly asks me for film recommendations since they know I have an open mind and have watched a lot, and they always seem happy with the recs. Plus on a smaller note, my DVD collection blows the minds of the majority of guys I know in real life. So it's not always "the all-film knowing man" talking down to the "I've seen 'How to Lose A Legally Blonde Guy in Notting Hill in 10 Days' lyk 15 times!!!" girl. Just sayin'.

Oh, and no offense was meant in this reply, I just needed to vent a little. After the 500th exchange of "Oh, so you like movies? So uh, you just watch that chick stuff with Julia Hewitt-Ryan, right?" I sometimes get a little punchy.
Old 05-09-05, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SideShow
I've had to watch some boyfriend favorites over the years that are gems though, like Mortal Kombat and anything starring Dolph Lundgren.
Wow, didn't expect that.

And these threads of MrVette99's are like weird surprises - I never know what the end of his mystery sentence is. What's next?

Maybe - "What DVD do you own...

...that you wish you would have seen as a blind-buy with your family for the first time instead of watching it by yourself when you were thinking about watching it with your girlfriend?"

Just a suggestion, I joke because I care.
Old 05-09-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My wife watches Steel Magnolias and Beaches when I am out of the house....
Old 05-09-05, 08:12 PM

My girlfriend and I both have very similar tastes in films...with the exception of a few of her favorites.

Her favorite film is the Rocky Horror Picture Show, which I can't stand.

She also loves both of the Bridget Jones movies. Luckily, I haven't been forced to watch either yet.
Old 05-09-05, 09:19 PM
Defunct Account

My wife love movies based on Jane Austen (sp?) books. Especially the BBC mini-series versions. I sat through Pride and Predjudice once....it's like 18 hours long I think. At least that's what it felt like. I remember a lot of women talking about, but not actually having, a relationship with a member of the opposite sex.

Now whenever she watches it I make myself scarce. Occasionally I'll pop my head in and make a snide comment. "This is just gripping drama. How do you stand the tension?!?" She usually throws a pillow at me and I leave.

BTW, I realize I'm an ingrate for not liking Austen. But I'm a happy ingrate.
Old 05-09-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Greese,why o why did I buy that for her? my girlfreind that is.
Old 05-09-05, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Normally I don't mind letting my girlfriend pick movies out but after watching the Notebook with her, I am seriously reconsidering that.
Old 05-10-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

my wife just watched back to the future all the time...
Old 05-10-05, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My GF watches our Dark Shadows collection way more often than I care to. Other viewing habits include annual viewings of The Quiet Man, Ben Hur, Jesus Of Nazareth, The Bible, Ten Commandments....she likes her biblical epics
Old 05-10-05, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by videophile
My wife love movies based on Jane Austen (sp?) books. Especially the BBC mini-series versions. I sat through Pride and Predjudice once....it's like 18 hours long I think. At least that's what it felt like. I remember a lot of women talking about, but not actually having, a relationship with a member of the opposite sex.

Now whenever she watches it I make myself scarce. Occasionally I'll pop my head in and make a snide comment. "This is just gripping drama. How do you stand the tension?!?" She usually throws a pillow at me and I leave.

My wife loves Pride and Prejudice. There was a two-week period recently where she watched it every single night. I have yet to accomplish your feat of actually sitting through it. Bring on LOTR-EE marathons all you want, but I, too, shall remain a happy Austen ingrate.
Old 05-10-05, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have always hated The Princess Bride, but my girlfriend watches it once a week.
Old 05-10-05, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Wedding Singer
Old 05-10-05, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of my ex-girlfriends loved Twin Peaks and after getting me to watch one episode, she asked me what I thought. "Nothing happened," I said. "Yeah, isn't that great!" she replied. Needless to say, she viewed the rest of it without me.
Old 05-10-05, 06:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mod note: Title change to keep it relevant to the main forum
Old 05-10-05, 07:48 AM

Received 163 Likes on 119 Posts
She can watch Amelie, Leon, Dogma, or Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back incessantly. I'm not all that fond of any of those movies, but I'll be the first to admit it could be a whole lot worse.
Old 05-10-05, 07:54 AM

Location: Chicago...NOT my kind of town, I hate urban living, but have no choice
My Ex would CONSTANTLY put on and even go to sleep with (as background noise) either Die Hard or Volcano. I cant stand people who have to have a daily/nightly rotation of the same damn movie over and over again.

Uh..I guess I could add that to the MANY reasons why I left the
Old 05-10-05, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by SideShow
I've had to watch some boyfriend favorites over the years that are gems though, like Mortal Kombat and anything starring Dolph Lundgren. .
I always make my girlfiend watch Mortal Kombat and anything I can find with Dolph Lundgren.
Old 05-10-05, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by videophile

I guess I'd like to meet your wife!

I realize I am a minority of one here at DVD Talk, being a male who is a big Jane Austen fan. Pride and Prejudice is the greatest romance ever written ... but if you don't like romances, well, I can see that it might not have much appeal.

I can't contribute any suggestions on the theme of this thread since I never married — no wife — and my girlfriend likes almost precisely the same DVDs as I do, ranging from Spider-man 2 and Star Wars to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Amélie, Buffy and Firefly. And also the A&E/BBC version of Pride and Prejudice ... (which is a mere five hours long, by the way). I was the one who got her hooked on that since it is, by far, my favorite DVD and book.

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks I guess.
Old 05-10-05, 11:47 AM

My wife insists on watching the Daines/Dicaprio Romeo & Juliet remake atleast once every couple weeks.

Dear lord it was meh the first time and now its suicide!!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.