DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Big Bogie Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-05, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Bogie Thread

helllooo

can anyone recommend some bogie dvds, feel free to rank them. What I already have:

(pardon my subjective rankings)

Casablanca = A+
Sabrina = A+
Maltese Falcon = A
Key Largo = A-
Desperate Hours = B+
The Big Sleep = B ( after seein it a few times i still have no idea what this movie's about )
Treasure of Sierra Madre = B* [edit: B cause i got scared since it's so creepy (probably deserves an A for the exceptional writing, acting, directing though]
Sahara = B- or B entertaining war flick
The Barefoot Contessa = C+

movies I've enjoyed on tv:
Beat the Devil - I'm not aware of a decent dvd for this movie though, i bought a crummy 99 cent version. I think Laserlight has the most expensive dvd version of BtD out there - but is it watchable?

movies I'm going to go out and buy right away:

To Have and Have Not
Dark Passage

thanks for anyone's feedback

BStinky

edited: left out Sahara

Last edited by BigStinky; 05-09-05 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-05-05, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't forget "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid". It's a classic.
Old 05-05-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BigStinky
The Big Sleep = B ( after seein it a few times i still have no idea what this movie's about )
You're not alone there...

Highly recommend In a Lonely Place... Great noir and one of Bogey's best characters IMHO. It's a keeper. A
Old 05-05-05, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Petrified Forest
Angels with Dirty Faces
The Roaring Twenties
These 3 can be had in the WB Gangster collection with White Heat, Little Ceaser and The Public Enemy.

Dead End
Dead Reckoning
Sahara
The Harder They Fall
High Sierra
They Drive By Night
In a Lonely Place
Caine Mutiny

Probably missing a title or two.

Last edited by ernestrp; 05-05-05 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-05-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the enforcer has not been mentioned...and what good is a big bogie thread without a few mug shots...

Last edited by Cameron; 05-05-05 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-05-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
the enforcer has not been mentioned...
It hasn't, and it's only about 10 bucks. I'd also add it.
I'd agree that Big Sleep is overrated; In a Lonely Place is a lot better. I'd recommend that plus Dead End and High Sierra.
Old 05-05-05, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And Still No African Queen on DVD
Old 05-05-05, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thx all

i left out Sahara which is in my collection - an entertaining movie i thought. It has some preachy dialog ( it's got a a propaganda film feel, imo, - not sure if studios were encouraged to make wartime pictures or if they received govt. money or what), but whatever i hate nazis and i liked the movie.

The little bit of High Sierra that I saw on AMC wasn't doin it for me - I thought the thing with the Velma character was weak, but that's maybe just me. Definitely going to look at getting some of the others, though. I'll have to decide between getting the whole WB Gangster collection or maybe just Angels and The Roaring Twenties.

I wasn't blown away by the Petrified Forest trailer but then they made trailers differently back then. I might be missing out on a decent film.

the covers look good
Old 05-05-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
God Damn it, I thought this was a big boobie thread.

Anyway Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon are still my favorites by far and you have all the ones I would consider must have. However, I would still recommend the Warner Gangster Collection to you. Very good stuff from Bogie and others in than set.
Old 05-05-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

also a strong suggestion for the gangster box....i love petrified forest, not so much as a Bogie film, but just a good movie. If your going to grab two of them you might as well get the box...Little Caesar (non bogie) is a must own

r

Last edited by Cameron; 05-06-05 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-05-05, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts
Give High Sierra another chance. The Velma subplot was the weakest point in the movie, and it was only there to show that no matter how hard he tried he couldn't fit in with "nice" people. The rest of the movie is outstanding - one of his best!

The Petrified Forest is one of my all time favorite movies - but not everyone likes it. It is a filmed stage play - pure and simple. A brilliant stage play, but the scope of the movie rarely goes beyond what you could do on a theater stage. What works for me is the great character study you get in the film - and some amazing performances (they were given some really great dialogue to work with). Bogart steals the show in his breakthrough performance.

I must disagree with those who say that The Big Sleep is overrated - it is rich with great dialogue, fantastic performances, and a great atmosphere. Who cares that the plot is overly complex? Bogart practically invents "cool" in this movie - and it is damned entertaining to boot!

Beyond those (and Sahara, which you have), I would recommend Tokyo Joe - one of his own productions, and a solid if unspectacular movie. It's just really entertaining, and features Bogart at the end of his prime.

I'm just dying for movies like Black Legion, All Through the Night, and Conflict to be released on DVD. There are so many more great Bogart films just waiting for release on DVD....
Old 05-06-05, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dark Passage is a very entertaining film noir. The writing itself is just average (although still interesting) but the first one third of the movie is quite unique, being the film was shot in first person view.
Old 05-06-05, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BigStinky, you definitely need to re-watch Treasure of the Sierra Madre if you think it only merits a 'B' grade.
Old 05-06-05, 09:53 AM
Suspended

Last time I had a head cold I had a big bogie problem. HA!

But seriously, I'll second the recommendation for The Harder They Fall. I know he was very sick during filming but you can't really tell, plus it's got Rod Steiger (one of my all time favs).
Old 05-06-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
BigStinky, you definitely need to re-watch Treasure of the Sierra Madre if you think it only merits a 'B' grade.
yeah i knew that wouldn't jive with what other people think about the movie but like I say it's a subjective rating. I'll definitely watch the movie again sometime. I can't find any faults with Treasure it's just not a cheery movie and i'm a wimp when it comes to depressing movies. My favorite part of ToSM is John Huston's acting, it's just a little part but I like watching him. He's a great director but I'm not sure he gets enough praise for his acting - he was great in Chinatown too.

Desperate Hours is another movie that I thought was well done but I really have to be in the mood for a home invasion to watch it.

Now, Sabrina I could watch every weekend. One of the best movies ever made, imo, and it meets my happy criteria. Love the idea that Bogie and William Holden are supposed to be brothers. sure, whatever.

Last edited by BigStinky; 05-06-05 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-06-05, 01:59 PM
Suspended

Dark Passage, Roaring Twenties, Key Largo I have seen and all are just "OK" overall, but each has some good parts ... I like the Big Sleep .... LOVE To Have and Have Not ... and we'll always Paris of course.

I'll put them in this order ...

Casblanca
To Have And Have Not
Sabrina
The Big Sleep
Maltese Falcon
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
African Queen (which I think is missing from this list)
Key Largo

Last edited by Crow331; 05-06-05 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-06-05, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Crow331
Not available on DVD... Yet.
Old 05-06-05, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

post seven

And Still No African Queen on DVD
Old 05-07-05, 11:56 AM

Dark Passage, Roaring Twenties, Key Largo I have seen and all are just "OK" overall, but each has some good parts ... I like the Big Sleep .... LOVE To Have and Have Not ... and we'll always Paris of course.

I'll put them in this order ...

Casblanca
To Have And Have Not
Sabrina
The Big Sleep
Maltese Falcon
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Key Largo
First someone says Treasure of the Sierra Madre is a 'B' and now I see someone ranking Key Largo at the very bottom of their list of Bogart flicks?! Sheesh, what is this world coming to? Granted, every film you listed is quite good, so at least you didn't put something like Dark Passage above it. Then I'd really have to flip out.
Old 05-07-05, 11:58 AM

post seven
Would you like a pat on the back or something? What is the point of posting this? Stop threadcrapping already.
Old 05-07-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Give High Sierra another chance. The Velma subplot was the weakest point in the movie, and it was only there to show that no matter how hard he tried he couldn't fit in with "nice" people. The rest of the movie is outstanding - one of his best!

I must disagree with those who say that The Big Sleep is overrated - it is rich with great dialogue, fantastic performances, and a great atmosphere. Who cares that the plot is overly complex? Bogart practically invents "cool" in this movie - and it is damned entertaining to boot!
I agree also - High Sierra is a wonderful movie. And The Big Sleep is one of the greatest examples of film noir that exists, and one of my favorite all-time movies. Now we just need Warner to remaster it, both the DVD and the film print I saw in a theater last year look pretty bad in spots.
Old 05-07-05, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
["African Queen"] Not available on DVD... Yet.
...except in R2 UK and Spain (look here)...

. . . . . .
Old 05-07-05, 09:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Bogart?? I thought this was gonna be about Big Bogie candy bars! (What were those things made of?)

Bogart made a guest appearance on The Jack Benny Program (TV show). In a sketch, he played a bad guy named Babyface, being grilled by police detective Benny. Bogie even delivered a Lucky Strike commercial in the skit. I only know of two DVD's that have this. A DVD/CD two-disc set (sorry I can't recall the label) which also features Beat the Devil and an audio CD of music of Bogie's era. The Benny show print is washed out. A better copy can be found on Jack Benny Vol. 3 from Television Classics, which can be picked up at Dollar Tree.
Old 05-07-05, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by naitram
I agree also - High Sierra is a wonderful movie. And The Big Sleep is one of the greatest examples of film noir that exists, and one of my favorite all-time movies. Now we just need Warner to remaster it, both the DVD and the film print I saw in a theater last year look pretty bad in spots.
WB mentioned something in the chat about remastering some Bogart films for special edition releases next year. I believe they said there would be three, and two of them will almost certainly be the Big Sleep and the Maltese Falcon, both of which have decent releases, but will really benefit from remastering and special edition treatment. It will be interesting to see what the third film is. I personally would be willing to bet that it will be Key Largo, since most of the other WB Bogart flicks have been released pretty recently, and are also not quite as high-profile as that one.
Old 05-08-05, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kingtopher
Would you like a pat on the back or something? What is the point of posting this? Stop threadcrapping already.
hardly see how this is a threadcrap...just stating that it had already been listed...no big deal, stop looking for a fight. I hardly see how your post about my post contributed anything...so didn't you do what i did?...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.