Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

So you want Season 2 Part 2 of G.I. Joe???

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-05, 05:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, as most of you know, Rhino lost the renewal of their Sunbow licensing for their Transformer, G.I. Joe, and Jem series. Well according to some emails back from Rhino, TVShowsOnDVD is reporting that the Sunbow license has been sold to Sony Music. And that all of the titles previously mention will get re-released through them, but no record yet of when this will be.
Old 05-04-05, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I hope that Sony Music will be able to get ahold of the animation from the toy and comic commercials and release them with GI Joe releases, which would be the only way I'd double dip on any of the seasons.
Old 05-26-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
bump

I want Season 2 Part 2 damn it.
Old 05-26-05, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts
What a load of crap. These were awfully expensive sets to have to double-dip on. Rhino really dropped the ball here.
Old 05-26-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
What the hell happened to this

I got this reply from Rhino today:

Rhino Home Video is pleased that the release of G.I. Joe Season Two Part One has happened in the fourth quarter of 2004. Originally, this release was meant to be the entire second season, but due to production deadlines we were unable to secure enough bonus materials.

So, for our last deluxe boxed set of the series, Season Two Part Two, we want to do something extra special - as a thank you to the loyal fans who loved "G.I. Joe" and "Transformers" as children and have been so supportive of our efforts on DVD.

Details will be announced soon.

Rhino Home Video is no longer a part of AOL Time Warner, and our relationship with Hasbro remains as strong as ever. We wish them the best in their joint venture with Paramount in the children's DVD realm, while we continue with what we have always done best - packaging nostalgia and giving our customers the opportunity to relive an important part of their life, through music or filmed entertainment.

Sincerely,

Rhino Home Video
I thought it was already confirmed that Rhino would finish GI Joe. Can't believe I will have to rebuy the second season from another company to finish it. When and if they ever get around to it.
Old 05-27-05, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
also of note, that the store i work in had to send back all copies of G.I. Joe, Transformers, and Jem this past week....all will be going OOP in the near future.
Old 05-27-05, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Damn, this really sucks. Granted, thankfully, I've only got the mini-series and season one, part one, so I'm in better shape than most, but still..! Do I buy at least seasopn one, part two just in case, or quit now and hope Sony releases something better? Regardless, it seems like I should pass on season two right now.
Old 05-27-05, 12:10 PM

"So, for our last deluxe boxed set of the series, Season Two Part Two, we want to do something extra special - as a thank you to the loyal fans who loved "G.I. Joe" and "Transformers" as children and have been so supportive of our efforts on DVD."

So Rhino is doing Season 2, Part 2 now?
Old 05-27-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All I can say is:

Sony had BETTER not sit on this stuff indefinitley before releasing it. Get it on the shelf! As much as I hate to admit it, I would double dip on Season 2 to get part 2.
Old 05-27-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Giant
"So, for our last deluxe boxed set of the series, Season Two Part Two, we want to do something extra special - as a thank you to the loyal fans who loved "G.I. Joe" and "Transformers" as children and have been so supportive of our efforts on DVD."

So Rhino is doing Season 2, Part 2 now?
No, apparently not. That was a reply they gave late last year, but it is turning out that they were lying or the person answering questions was mistaken about their true intentions.

I ended up buying Season 1 part 2 and Season 2 part 1 based on the fact they said they would finish Season 2. Not it turns out they were blowing smoke. Rhino could have just put all of Season 2 in one set, but instead they pull this nonsense. I'm rather down on Rhino right now.
Old 05-27-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Rhino should have never released a Season 2, Part 1. They should have released season 2 all at once. The number of episodes on season 2, part 1 is about half the amount as the season 1 releases, yet the prices were similar. Rhino's plan to screw the customers into buying an extra box set ended up really screwing the customers and fans.

Last edited by fryinpan1; 05-27-05 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-27-05, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't purchase Season 2 Part 1, but I feel like I want to get it just in case nothing else get's released, and if I have to double dip, I'll double dip.
Old 05-27-05, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

hope these see the light of day before the big budget movies hit
Old 05-28-05, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hopefully Sony releases these things (TF& GI Joe) in simple full season sets and doesn't price them ridiculously. $40 per full season is fair.

Right now I am glad I never bought any.
Old 05-28-05, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has anyone sent SONY and email yet to find out the possible status?
Old 05-28-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I have all of season one, and part 1 of season 2, and I have the GI Joe movie. I have got a good enough share of nostalgia from watching these. Unless Sony plans on releasing Season 2 Part 2 by itself, I won't be buying it! Season 2 Part 1 was over-priced, why did they charge full price for half the amount of episodes? Because they knew people would buy it. What a load. I'm usually very patient when it comes to double dipping, I'll buy, I'll buy the special editions a lot of the time because I didn't want to wait in the first place, whatever. But the GI Joe Season 2 Part 2 thing has just been one big mess. Rhino couldn't even make a statement saying they can't release this or anything. The ball has been dropped here, and Sony is going to lick up every penny it can before we see the rest of these episodes. No thank you.
Old 05-28-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I just emailed SONY and will post what I heard back....grrrr they better give me a decent answer.
Old 05-28-05, 11:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Hopefully Sony releases these things (TF& GI Joe) in simple full season sets and doesn't price them ridiculously. $40 per full season is fair.

Right now I am glad I never bought any.
Yeah, me too. I had these things in my DDD Wish List for the longest time, but when I heard about the possibility of S2 Pt.2 not getting released, I removed them from my cue.

I guess this also means that Rhino won't ever be doing a repress of Disc 1 of Beast Wars S1, which had a defective 5.1 track on two episodes.
Old 05-28-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Considering how badly Rhino has screwed up the soundtracks of every G.I. Joe and Transformers DVD they've put out, I for one would be glad to see another studio take a crack at remastering the whole catalog.
Old 05-30-05, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

True, but I wouldn't want to have to double dip THAT much, lol I'm pretty happy with the Transformers G1 DVD's that I have, and like having the first season of GI Joe on DVD, just want the entire series if at all POSSIBLE, SONY!!!
Old 05-30-05, 08:09 PM

I never bought S2P1 just on the chance that the second half wouldn't come out. The bad thing is, if Sony decides to start over from the beginning, then a lot of people might not buy them, because they're only interested in the second season, and the poor sales would cause them to never even release the second season. I know I won't buy any new sets before the 2nd season unless theyre spectacular, because I love Rhino's sets. And given the way Sony usually releases TV sets, I doubt they'll present them with any fanfare at all.

It's my opinion that Rhino deliberatley lied to customers to get them to buy the first half. No one would have bought it if they knew the 2nd half was never coming out. I received the email listed above from them too, just a form letter that they sent out to anyone who asked.
Old 05-30-05, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Living Dead
I never bought S2P1 just on the chance that the second half wouldn't come out. The bad thing is, if Sony decides to start over from the beginning, then a lot of people might not buy them, because they're only interested in the second season, and the poor sales would cause them to never even release the second season. I know I won't buy any new sets before the 2nd season unless theyre spectacular, because I love Rhino's sets. And given the way Sony usually releases TV sets, I doubt they'll present them with any fanfare at all.

It's my opinion that Rhino deliberatley lied to customers to get them to buy the first half. No one would have bought it if they knew the 2nd half was never coming out. I received the email listed above from them too, just a form letter that they sent out to anyone who asked.
completely untrue and without basis. Fans of the show buy what's available, only fanatics don't buy something to prove a point.
Old 05-31-05, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
completely untrue and without basis. Fans of the show buy what's available, only fanatics don't buy something to prove a point.
Wow, do you work for Rhino? I only gave my opinion, but you sound absolutely certain.

I'm a huge fan, and I won't buy unfinished sets. I've collected Joes for 20 years and have a nearly complete collection, and I love the old cartoons. You should check some Joe message boards and read what people are saying before deciding it has no basis.

Many people don't want to double dip all over again, me included. And many people were undecided on purchasing the S2P1 set until the email that Rhino sent out claiming some type of mega-release. But luckily, I held off.

I guess that makes me a fanatic for not wanting to repurchase something I've already bought, or purchase something that will never be finished. Oh well, I'm not a true fan after all.

Last edited by Living Dead; 05-31-05 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-31-05, 12:31 AM

I only own Transformers Volume 1 and the G.I. Joe miniseries w/ the toy. Do you think that there is any chance that Sony actually won't re-release? Because in that case I'll have to scramble and pick up what is still out there! Thanks.
Old 05-31-05, 02:45 AM

If you were asking me, I'm sure it will eventually be rereleased, but knowing Sony, it will probably be barebones. Not that the Rhino releases had much, but at least there was a little, and I loved the packaging and the animation cels.

But I'd love for Sony to prove me wrong!

If I were you, I'd go for the Transformers sets since they are complete. Some people are unhappy with the way Rhino tinkered with the audio and added new effects, but it never really bothered me. You might as well hold off on the Joes and see what else comes out. Just my opinion of course.

Last edited by Living Dead; 05-31-05 at 02:48 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.