Reload this Page >

ER Season 3 - screwy packaging

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 05-01-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The package folds out and disks are "layered" on top of each other so you must remove disc 1 to get at disc 2. I can't recall ever seeing a worse design. Hate it. Funny, Warner had a nice case design for the last release of West Wing and it had the same footprint. Hint to Warner: thinpacks in a box are nice. Hell, even fat fold-outs are preferable to this.
Old 05-01-05, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're absolutely right. After the change in the West Wing package I fully expected the ER sets to follow suit. While I've seen a few two- and three disc sets packaged this way, I don't think I've seen a six-disc set. It's almost as if their contemptuous of their own product, and don't feel it's worth packaging that will help keep it pristine.

RichC
Old 05-01-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't opened my copy of season 3 yet but I didn't like the fact that the outside packaging changed from the design for the first two season. The other two kept with the standard "ER blue/green" design that most of the show's merchandising followed while this has an ugly red that doesn't match at all.

Old 05-01-05, 12:15 PM

at least they did away with the double sided discs. It at least shows they're listening to us.

I can live with the packaging, even though I don't like it.

Taking the good with the bad, I'd rather have single sided discs.
Old 05-01-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts
I'd rather have 6 single thin paks, so I can pull out a single disc. What the fuck is wrong these morons. It's like we also have the Bush Administration in charge of packaging television series discs.
Old 05-01-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another stacked set like The Ultimate Matrix Set and Scrubs? What cheap bastards. I'd be ok paying a few extra bucks if it would prevent packages like this from showing up again.
Old 05-01-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I too was shocked when I opened my set and saw the layered dvd case. I've never seem any case like this before. It doesn't bother me too much but would not want any future sets to be like this. Geez, how many different dvd cases are out there. There definately should be a single standard case.
Old 05-01-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by AsmodeusVice
at least they did away with the double sided discs. It at least shows they're listening to us.

I can live with the packaging, even though I don't like it.

Taking the good with the bad, I'd rather have single sided discs.
Agreed. I am not happy with the packaging, but nothing pisses me off quite like double sided discs. I am glad to see those go.
Old 05-01-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

where might i see pictures of the case design? it wont stop me from buying, but am curious to know what my coming scrubs dvd set will look like on the inside.

:P
Old 05-01-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
I like the artwork for season 3. It breaks from the norm, but I think it is more attractive than a single picture pasted on the front like the first two.
Old 05-01-05, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would preiefer the old 4 double disc set to this crap... its like the Region 2 DAwsn's Creek Season 2 set!!! I think this wins the award for worst packaging of all time.
Old 05-01-05, 08:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I'd rather have 6 single thin paks, so I can pull out a single disc. What the fuck is wrong these morons. It's like we also have the Bush Administration in charge of packaging television series discs.

Did you know the Bush Administration was responsible for the 10.0 Earthquake and the Tsunami too?

You know what they say about making cheap shots at the Prez? :buford:

As for these double stacked disc sets, folks....get used to it. The last two seasons of Highlander, the last 3 seasons of both Hercules and Xena have come this way.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 05-01-05 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-02-05, 12:35 AM
Cool New Member

In Region 2, they've kept the initial cover design (although the color changes from season to season), however seasons 3 and 4 are also using the annoying packaging with discs stacked on top of each other--also, they are still using the double sided discs here.

I
Old 05-02-05, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a fan of the new E.R. packaging -- especially considering the fact that they did away with the double-sided disc. As for them overlapping, what's the big deal: disc 1 overlaps disc 2, so when you're done with 1, put it in the back so disc 2 sits on top. It conserves space, protects the discs, and in my opinion, is quite attractive.

Last edited by bookcase3; 05-02-05 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-02-05, 12:25 PM

I quite enjoy this new packaging. Takes up less room, has nice disc art instead of flippers, it protects each disc and holds them firmly ... I'm not seeing any downside here.
Old 05-02-05, 01:39 PM

If you look at The West Wing S4 and ER S3, both released within weeks of each other by the same studio, it makes you wonder if anybody's even thinking about this stuff.

The WW package has six individual plastic carriers bound like pages in a book. The ER package has three double-disc carriers. Both have six discs and both now have one-sided discs with graphics. The WW box is maybe 1/8" thicker.

The difference: like a fold-out package, you have to put the ER set down on a surface to get three of the discs out. Unlike a fold-out package, you have to handle discs that you're not even going to watch.

The WW package can be handled with two hands, and protects the discs better.

I'm getting tired of paying money to be a test-market guinea-pig.

RichC
Old 05-02-05, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Bush and I watch movies on the weekends sometimes, he actually likes the thin packs.

To stay on topic, these type of package designs are terrible and hopefully they'll change it for the next season. It's 6 discs.. and they are all on top of each other? Horrible.
Old 05-02-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that getting rid of flippers is a positive move but the West Wing S4 packaging is clearly superior to the ER S3 set. Why they didn't just stick with it is a mystery.
Old 05-03-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still have no complaints about the packaging. And I'm just thrilled to have the show on DVD in the first place. If that means having to place the box on a surface to get a DVD out... well, I just don't see the big deal.