Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Anything similar to Can-Am cabinets?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-05, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anything similar to Can-Am cabinets?

These cd/dvd cabinets that http://www.can-am.ca sells are awesome. However they are just a little pricey. Is there anything similar to them that is not as expensive? I need something to store my 500+ cd collection and 1000+ dvd collection. I really like the cabinet idea. I would prefere to have my collection keeping a low profile.
Old 04-29-05, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At least to me, unless you have a large closet that can be locked (or an extra bedroom for instance), I consider these cabinets to me the creme of the crop. Unfortunately, with the high shipping cost, it makes sense to order several of them at the same time to spread out this amount. I'm saving for them now (I need 5 or 6), unless something more reasonable becomes available. I suppose I could also use them to store my wifes cd's, which means more cabinets...sigh...
Old 04-29-05, 10:07 PM

I calculated the price of everything i need.

4, 3 Drawer cabinets $429 x 4 = $1716
4 sets of dividers $45 x 4 = $180

Shipping $230

Total $2126

I think I just had a heart attack.
Old 04-29-05, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have two of their cabinets: one two-drawer and one three-drawer. Absolutely the best investment I've ever made. Are they expensive? You bet. Are the worth it? Down to the last penny, IMHO. If you're saving up, stay on target and don't settle for anything else.
Old 04-30-05, 08:20 AM

I may check into these myself. Between DVDs and CDs, I have approx. 1600. Although I'm wondering if some DVDs, which have slightly taller packaging, can fit in these drawers? While most DVD cases are the same heighth, not all are. Are the channels between DVDs flexible enough to fit in just about every size DVD, and CD for that matter?
Old 04-30-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have one of their 3-drawer units. It is nice, and I like it, but I have no intention of buying any more. I just don't feel it is really worth the ~$500 it costs with shipping. If I could get one for ~$300 shipped, I might consider getting another.
Old 05-02-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I own six of the 3-drawer, two of the 2-drawer cabinents as well as one of their component cabinets and I'm very pleased with the quality of their product. As has already been said, in terms of shipping costs it's definitely a better bargain if you order multiple cabinets at once so try to anticipate your future needs when you place your order.
Old 05-02-05, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have 2 of the black 3-drawer version of these, which I bought from this seller on eBay. Similar to Can-Am, but they might be a bit shorter -- I'm only storing CDs in them.

http://stores.ebay.com/Hold-It-Right...QQftidZ2QQtZkm
Old 05-02-05, 06:56 PM

Holy overinflated sense of self worth, Canam.

Those prices are a tad on the ridiculous side for what are, essentially glorified filing cabinets.

... I want some.
Old 05-02-05, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

www.shopperinc.com
I got mine from them...I bought a pair of 3-drawer sets, with a wheeled caddy for $710 shipped. Every bit as nice as the Can-Am ones, but if you're looking for more than just the drawers (such as the stereo component shelves) you'll have to look elsewhere. Ask for Mark if you call, he's the guy that helped me out, and he was quite the customer service rep. Great service, great product...

I love them...they keep my collection nice and dust free, and they lock!
I'm finishing up an article for Secrets of Home Theater on these puppies...

Oh, and might I add, unless you're specifically in need of dividers, they're a waste of space in the drawers and money. You can use them for CDs, but it still wastes room. Your best bet is to figure out a pattern (horizontal or vertical spines) and if you need some spacing, to use small aluminum bookends from like walmart or something. I ended up doing this...it worked 10x better than the dividers I sent back...

Last edited by lordzeppelin; 05-02-05 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-03-05, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Leechboy
These cd/dvd cabinets that http://www.can-am.ca sells are awesome. However they are just a little pricey.
I guess they are pricey compared to what else is out there, but IMO, they are worth the price. I have two 3-drawer and one 2-drawer, with a mica top and heavy duty caddy. Saving to repurchase the same configuration.
Old 05-03-05, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Count me in with the "worth the price" group. I spent years buying crap shelves and other things to hold my collection. Throwing them out, getting new stuff, mix and matching, etc. When I finally decided to bite the bullet and invest in a Can-Am setup, it made a world of difference.

These things will be part of my home theater forever now. They look fantastic and are very functional/flexible.
Old 05-03-05, 05:37 PM

One half of me wants to buy the cabinets. The other half wants to upgrade my tv. What to do? Decisions decisions.
Old 05-03-05, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tarnower
I'm wondering if some DVDs, which have slightly taller packaging, can fit in these drawers? While most DVD cases are the same heighth, not all are. Are the channels between DVDs flexible enough to fit in just about every size DVD, and CD for that matter?
C'mon guys! Those of you who own these cabinets, please answer my question. I wanna make sure all sizes of DVDs/CDs fit in between the channels. Heighth-wise.
Thanks!
Old 05-03-05, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

C'mon guys! Those of you who own these cabinets, please answer my question. I wanna make sure all sizes of DVDs/CDs fit in between the channels. Heighth-wise.
Thanks!
I've had no problems with this. They all fit; granted some, like snap cases, are close, but the drawers all close fine, with no rubbing on the cases.
Old 05-03-05, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wanna make sure all sizes of DVDs/CDs fit in between the channels.
All? No -- there are some strangely shaped boxes (for example, Six Feet Under Season 1), that don't fit.

But all keepcase/snapper DVDs (including slipcased boxes, etc.) all fit. I have about 3 or 4 sets that don't fit without laying flat within the drawer.
Old 05-04-05, 01:07 AM

I've seen both the can-am cabinets and the shopper inc ones that I own, and they are almost identical. there's slight design differences, but the build quality is the same. Like I said though, Can-Am has more expansion options...

Anyways, I've had a problem here and there with cases. Like my Escaflowne LE Movie Box, which is odd shaped, won't fit. Same with the Tool DVD, MIB LE, and Akira LE Tin. There's always going to be a few exceptions...

I have a Formica Top being made by a local cabinet maker/countertop maker for around $125, and the laminate is going to match my coffee table...I'll have to post pics when this is finished.
Old 05-04-05, 09:00 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
I just found out that a 4"x6" 2-drawer filing cabinet fits DVDs perfectly... I think I am going to check out some of the used office furniture stores to see if I can find some.