Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lucas confirms that Young Indy's coming in late '05 or '06. (merged)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Lucas confirms that Young Indy's coming in late '05 or '06. (merged)

Old 03-07-07, 09:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Might want to change the title...

George Lucas was guest at the Museum of Television and Radio’s William S. Paley Festival Saturday night. The first 90 minutes of the two-hour event were devoted to The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles and the efforts to bring that series to DVD with accompanying documentaries and study guides.
Helen H. who attended this 'Evening With George Lucas' event reported to TheForce.net: "Indy Jones Chronicles are currently being cleaned up, are having documentaries added to them and will be shopped as “films for a modern day high school history class.” He’s [Lucas] hoping they’re released on DVDs very soon."

Update: IGN.com published an article on Lucas' Young Indiana Jones Chronicles DVDs containing more detailed info and bits on the process of making this DVD collection:

The DVDs will include the reedited versions of the series previously available on VHS, which took the 44 episodes of the show and turned them into 22, 90 minute, feature length stories. Lucas conceived of doing this very early on, and when the series first wrapped production, shot footage that would help link the episodes more cohesively.

Lucas mentioned how the series was shot on 16mm, which allowed more money to be spent on the production and allow for longer shooting schedules than it would have otherwise had. However, he said, "we're in the process of enhancing and cleaning up [the picture] for DVD." Having mentioned the cost constraints the The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles was under, he also humorously stated, "We're spending more to clean things up then we did to shoot it."
Old 03-07-07, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
The DVDs will include the reedited versions of the series previously available on VHS, which took the 44 episodes of the show and turned them into 22, 90 minute, feature length stories. Lucas conceived of doing this very early on, and when the series first wrapped production, shot footage that would help link the episodes more cohesively.
No sale here.
Old 03-07-07, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As long as the episode content itself is not cut, I don't see the issue here. So what if the same full length episodes are "reedited" into 90 minute movies? So what are you missing? A end credit/title sequence here and there? But you are getting the FULL episodes, right?

This concept of turning TV shows into "movies" is not unusual. PBS did it with the old BBC Doctor Who episodes years ago, and I never was bothered by that because you had the full episodes. So you just have to put off seeing the end credits until after the "movie." Big whoop.

Sale here.
Old 03-07-07, 11:17 PM
Banned

Lucas has said for years he's cutting the "old indy" segments. They're gone on the VHS.
Old 03-07-07, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by calhoun07
This concept of turning TV shows into "movies" is not unusual. PBS did it with the old BBC Doctor Who episodes years ago, and I never was bothered by that because you had the full episodes. So you just have to put off seeing the end credits until after the "movie." Big whoop.
PBS and home video releases are two different things. The PBS airings altered the flow of a show that relied on cliffhanger endings. The Doctor Who DVD releases are back to their original (meant to be seen) glory.

You don't like episodic television? Then seriously, enjoy these releases (No sarcasm meant). Hopefully, Lucas will make these releases worthwhile to the fans who enjoy them.

I just want the series as it was originally shown - Old Indy, warts and all. I watched these re-edits when they were running them on the Family Channel way back. The "cohesive" way Lucas came up with wasn't very cohesive. Horrible edits, bad voiceover & shotty re-dubbing is more than enough to keep me away.

It's just as bad as releasing syndicated cuts of a show.
Old 03-08-07, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So if they are adding documentaries and marketing these for schools, does that mean they will end up in the 50$ per episode range?
Old 03-08-07, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 or '06? Fucking liar.
Old 03-08-07, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Random thought....

So when people on UK message boards want to talk bad about Lucas do they type "Łucas?"
Old 04-27-07, 09:01 AM
Banned

Tvshowsondvd.com is reporting that Young Indy may be released before Christmas '07 according to several reports.

More info here:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7223
Old 04-27-07, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^

Just a warning that that link is full of Indy 4 spoilers.
Old 04-27-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Random thought....

So when people on UK message boards want to talk bad about Lucas do they type "Łucas?"
Old 04-27-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Whatever. Lucas sucks now, that's all there is to say
Old 04-27-07, 11:41 AM
Banned

Why don't they release these into one MEGA boxset, instead of breaking them up into two boxsets. I don't like that idea.

I am very dissapointed with the supposed omission of one of the characters who is supposedly NOT in Indiana Jones 4. I will be so pissed if this character is not there.
Old 04-27-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalvin
I am very dissapointed with the supposed omission of one of the characters who is supposedly NOT in Indiana Jones 4. I will be so pissed if this character is not there.
The character in question only appears with Indy in movies where he's in a certain region of the world...assuming Indy doesn't visit that region in Part IV, there's little reason to have him in the plot unless it's just for a cameo - and knowing the actor in question, he'd probably turn down a role that didn't have any depth to it (he has a history of leaving TV shows he became frustrated with).
Old 04-27-07, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 159 Likes on 121 Posts
Must every thread about a George Lucas porduciton turn into this?

good to see Young Indy is getting closer
Old 07-10-07, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Volume 1 - 10/23/07

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7634
Old 07-10-07, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Coming October 23rd, 2007: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7634
5 Years after it was first said to be coming (it took longer than they thought it would), Paramount Home Entertainment will street The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles - Volume 1 on DVD. Yes, "Volume 1": there will be a total of 3 Volumes on DVD of the youthful archaeologist-to-be's adventures. The announcement this morning tells us to expect this release on:

October 23, 2007

The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles was based on the Indiana Jones series of films. The series follows the Indiana Jones character (as a young boy and as a young man) as he was growing up and experiencing his early adventures, where he gets into trouble, learns life lessons and encounters various historical figures along the way. The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles was filmed on location all over the world ~ including England, Russia, Spain, Czechoslovakia, Kenya, France, India, China, Austria, Egypt, the United States, Morocco, Ireland, Italy, Africa, Turkey, Greece and Thailand.

No further details were provided by the studio; just the initial heads up. Stay tuned for details, including extras and box art, just as soon as we can unearth them!
Old 07-10-07, 09:03 AM
Banned

Wow, I remember seeing this, my Dad and I enjoyed it alot! I will be buying it so my Dad and I can releive the memories! Hopefully it has english subtitles!
Old 07-10-07, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re-editied! Damnit, George Lucas raped my... er... child's childhood.
Old 07-10-07, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yea, if it's a reedited mess then I won't even bother. There are too many other good movies, series to watch. I guess time will tell.
Old 07-10-07, 09:56 AM

Haven't seen any of these since they originally aired, but I remember truly loving the "Old Indy" bits. It's just about how I'd picture Dr. Jones would be around 90: bitterly cantankerous (heck, Ford's already getting there), truly showing the mileage (the eye patch was a nice touch), and spending his days recalling adventures long since past (and berating children) surrounded by the artifacts he helped "preserve" (the opinion of the Sultan of Madagascar notwithstanding).
Old 07-10-07, 10:47 AM

I've been slowly transferring my VHS tapes of the ABC broadcasts to DVD-R, just in case these "original versions" are not on the official release; some of them I never even got around to watching at all! I'm finding them a bit more interesting now than I did 15 years ago, but the "really young Indy" eps are still a slog to get through.

If the Old Indy bookends are not included in some form, at the very least as a bonus feature, it will truly be a mistake of galactic proportions! In some cases, I would call them the best part of the episodes! At the very least, they usually provided some needed closure/commentary on the episode.
Old 08-16-07, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy Christ!!!

From TVShowsonDVD:

The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles - HOW Many Discs In This Set? We've Got That Count, The Price, Extras & More!

This is a BIG Package Coming Your Way!
Posted by David Lambert
8/16/2007

Last month we had the scoop about the October 23rd release date for the long-awaited DVDs of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles - Volume 1. Now Paramount Home Entertainment has sent us a lot of new details about this release!

First of all, this is a massive set of 12 discs. Considering that the running time of the featured episodes is only 649 minutes (less than 11 hours), then you just KNOW that the rest of that DVD space is taken up with the extensive historical documentaries that George Lucas and Rick McCallum have been promising us for years!

So that's one "extra", what else is there? The info we have mentions a "Revolutions Interactive Game", an "Interactive Timeline", and "Professor Video" as the supplemental features on this set. We think that last one might be the main historical documentaries, but we're not certain yet.

What's the cost for all of this? Suggested Retail Price for this 12-DVD package is $117.99 in the USA, and CA$136.99 in Canada. It's not up for pre-order yet at our online retail affiliate partners, but we'll let you know when it is. We're also waiting on the highly anticipated box art, so stay tuned for that!

Link to this page:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7862

All news for this show:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/shownews.cfm?ShowID=4788

More info on this show:
The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles

Copyright 2001-2007 TVShowsOnDVD.com - Contact us
Old 08-16-07, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yowzas. thats expensive...i was hoping they were splitting them up in an effort to get them under 60 bucks...
Old 08-16-07, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
It's going to be an expensive holiday season for me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.