Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

ROUGHNECKS: The Complete Campaigns

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by nemein
Overall it is definately meant more as a kid/young teen thing but I still thought it was interesting (more from a technical aspect than screenwriting though).
Yeah, I'll probably rent one or two discs to sample again before buying. Thanks for the overview, both of you...

(I was really interested in the computer animation when it was first shown-- but those things advance so quickly I'm afraid the thrill may be gone on that count, and if the story is thin there may not be much to draw me in.)
Old 04-26-05, 06:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adamblast
Yeah, I'll probably rent one or two discs to sample again before buying. Thanks for the overview, both of you...

(I was really interested in the computer animation when it was first shown-- but those things advance so quickly I'm afraid the thrill may be gone on that count, and if the story is thin there may not be much to draw me in.)

Well, the animation does take some getting used to once you're used to more modern CG. But once you're used to it, you don't even thing about it that much. In fact, one of the most realistic aspects to the animation is the explosions. The explosions are very realistic and use particle effects and look like feature film explosions.

You can also tell that the animation got better as the series went on. Oh, not in huge leaps and bounds, but you can tell that certain elements improve slightly over the course of the series. Mainly the explosions. At first they were a bit cartoony, but then they became really cool. But like I said earlier, they rendered the 3rd campaign first so it's a bit out of order to which the animation improves. The Pluto Campaign, the first, is actually one of the coolest campaigns in the whole series.

There is some skimpying on the animation, for example they fail to render the tracer fire for the hand rifles on several shots.

In the end, I wished Mainframe Entertainment would have done the animation for this series. Mainframe did the series War Planets: Shadow Raiders at about the same time and the animation was and actually still is, leaps and bounds better than about any CGI toon that has come out to this day, with the exception of Squaresoft's Final Fantasy...but not by much. Had Mainframe done Roughnecks, it would have probably been the most kick-ass CG show to date.
Old 05-06-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any new information, re: extras, anything...
Old 05-06-05, 11:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Liquid Death
Any new information, re: extras, anything...
Using the only specs I've found are 5.1 audio and a photo gallery. Hopefully they'll port over the commentaries as well. And hopefully they've remixed the Tesca Campaign to 5.1 from 2.0. Also hoping to see a cleaned up Zephyr Campaign transfer. The original had lots of grain for some reason.
Old 05-06-05, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This set is $28.25 plus shipping at DVDSoon right now (total $30.78).
Old 05-12-05, 07:44 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Someone just bought my old 8 disc set off eBay for $151.

Better put yours up fast before people realize a new (ie:cheap compilation) is coming out.

Last edited by Eric F; 05-12-05 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-16-05, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Any new information on this release?
Old 06-16-05, 02:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've haven't been able to find anything definitive yet Even the official page by Sony, last time I looked, makes no mention of whether or not the commentaries were ported. I don't recall where but I seem to recall reading a blurb somewhere that lead me to believe it was the eps as they are on the individual DVDs (aka nothing new was produced for this collection). At this point I think I'm just going to cancel my pre-order and wait until it comes out to see what's included.
Old 06-16-05, 02:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Liquid Death
Any new information on this release?
I was wondering the same thing recently. I haven't seen anything new on it from any news site.
Old 06-16-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know I probably shouldn't post this here, but .. is this series more in tune to Heinlein's original Starship Troopers book (which I loved), or very far removed similiar to the film? Thanks guys ..
Old 06-16-05, 08:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by visitor Q
I know I probably shouldn't post this here, but .. is this series more in tune to Heinlein's original Starship Troopers book (which I loved), or very far removed similiar to the film? Thanks guys ..
Well, theorectically yes. It is more in line with Heinlein's novel. The Skinnies are used in the series. Technically however, it uses elements from the '97 movie. The bug design for one.

The way the series went was you had roughly 7 and half campaigns. Each campaign was generally 5 episodes with one running 6 and the last supposedly running 9 or so I think, but the last 3 episodes weren't finished. The voices were recorded, but the animation wasn't done. But anyway, the first campaign, the Pluto campaign introduced the warrior bug (from the movie) and the flying bug, dubbed the ripper. Each campaign after that introduced a new species of bug. So by the end of the series, there was about 10 or so different kinds of bugs they battled so the series never got old in that respect.

The Skinnies were introduced in the third campaign, the Tophet Campaign, and from there on, they had the leader of the Skinnies as a fellow Roughneck.

With this new compilation, I hope they fix some of the things that were lacking in the individual releases. For the 4th campaign, which was one of the first discs released, it was only in DD 2.0. Hopefully they've remastered that one in 5.1 in line with the rest. Also the Zephyr campaign, which is known as the Ice Asteroid campaign, was extremely grainy on the individual release, which is strange given the source material is CGI! So hopefully the new version is cleaned up.
Old 06-17-05, 12:03 PM

I will ebay mine off, if this new one is Complete thats for sure.

Just hope a review pops up soon, and the reviewer knows what he is talking about in regards to changes etc..
Old 06-17-05, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks Mike. Sounds like this one may be a winner ...
Old 06-18-05, 10:48 AM
Banned

I really have my doubts about this one being anything more than just the current episodes slapped onto 4 DVDs.
Old 06-18-05, 01:13 PM

I dont mind even that, if every episode is in the set I will still sell my old dvd and get this compact set as its cheaper too.
Old 06-18-05, 03:20 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
It's Japanese.
It reads: Starship Troopers Chronicles
That's the translation... its more fun in romanji

suta-shippu-turu-pa-zukuronikuruzu

Last edited by the marshal; 06-18-05 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-24-05, 03:24 PM

heres a review over at DVDFILE,

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...oughnecks.html

but sadly its not as in depth as they used to do it doesnt really cover what I wanted to know, is it the FULL series? I expect it will be, but they dont really confirm it as such.
Still 4 dvds holding all them dvds worth of info, surley they must have compressed it all down? as it was 7 dvds wasnt it, now onto 4. I can only guess the old dvds were not very full up (I hope).

but you do get 4 Bonuce episodes? what are they, just the ones released on a seperate dvd at the end of the dvd run I didnt get the last dvd you see only the 1st 6.
Old 06-24-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it's pretty obvious that this set is simply the original 8 discs put on 4 double-sided discs for a cheaper combined cost. I wouldn't expect any other difference.
Old 06-24-05, 04:21 PM

Ahhh they are double sided, I didnt see that part Thanks for pointing that out thats cleared that up well
Old 06-24-05, 04:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unfortunately the review doesn't mention if the commentaries are included Guess we'll have to wait until the set is actually released in a week or so...
Old 06-24-05, 05:29 PM

I LOVE Starship Troopers the movie, and I remember catching this every morning when I had to get up early for school. When the first started releasing the DVD's I was pysched, that was untill I found out the $25 a piece pricetag they had on them so I held off on buying them...Untill Now!!!
Old 06-24-05, 10:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Romerojpg
Review? It's nothing. It doesn't state how the quality of the Ice Asteroid episodes are, let alone mentioning if the whole series is complete. You'd think they'd at least mention that.
Old 06-24-05, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eric F
Review? It's nothing. It doesn't state how the quality of the Ice Asteroid episodes are, let alone mentioning if the whole series is complete. You'd think they'd at least mention that.
To be fair, not everyone is intimately aware of the series or the previous release's flaws when they review a DVD. The good ones do research, but most just give their opinion of what they have in front of them.
Old 06-25-05, 09:11 AM
boe
Suspended

It seems odd that Sony has made so much money off of this series that they even re-released the DVDs (not as frequent for TV shows to have re-released DVDs) and yet they refuse to finish the series. Hell, they could probably not only finish the series but even make more campaigns and make a fortune. I heard the story about the Sony canning the company that made these over a dispute - doesn't mean there aren't other CGI companies.
Old 06-26-05, 01:55 PM

This is fantastic news. It's really a great show. Sure it could have been a tad better if it was for mature audiences, but it is still great.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.