Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Straw Dogs (Criterion)...Question.

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 04-21-05, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are three different releases of Straw Dogs (Dustin Hoffman / Susan George). First release is $8.06, the second release which I think must be the uncut version is $11.59. But the third release is, "Straw Dogs (Criterion Collection) for $23.98. Does anyone know what a Criterion Collection is, or if they think the extra 12 dollars is worth it? I am not sure what I would be missing if I just bought the one for $11.59.
Old 04-21-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
read about criterions at:

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/about.asp
Old 04-21-05, 11:34 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Compare here:

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...awdogs_cc.html

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...wdogs_mgm.html

And, as an owner of the Criterion version, to answer your question, YES, the Criterion version is the ultimate, superior and only worthwhile version to own.
Old 04-21-05, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
Two years on the forum and someone doesn't know what a Criterion is? We have all failed you.
Old 04-21-05, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Another BIG for the Criterion version.

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Two years on the forum and someone doesn't know what a Criterion is? We have all failed you.
They don't visit here often so they need to learn to search (here and using Google). They also started a thread asking if there was going to be a director's cut of Two Towers (which got closed quickly).

Yes, you would think they would've seen at least ONE of the hundreds of Criterion threads but maybe they just don't look beyond the first page.

Or maybe we need a Criterion sub-forum (runs and hides)
Old 04-21-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
Used DVD Treasure Hunt

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
What's a DVD?
Old 04-21-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The comparison review over at DVDbeaver.com might be a little bit tough to follow for someone unfamiliar with the site, but it should answer even more questions than you have.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare6/strawdogs.htm
Old 04-21-05, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Skyfire
Does anyone know what a Criterion Collection is
Old 04-21-05, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
And, as an owner of the Criterion version, to answer your question, YES, the Criterion version is the ultimate, superior and only worthwhile version to own.
I have to take a friendly exception here, Filmmaker. The commentaries on the Freemantle Region 2 disc easily justify a double dip. The analysis by Peckinpah biographers Seydor, Weddle and Simmons is excellent and pointed out to me many things that I had missed on earlier viewings. The second commnetary by Peckinpah's assistant Haber has some wonderful stories. I'm glad I own both versions. (BTW, I understand that Freementle was willing to license their extras to MGM, but the lion wasn't interested.)

Last edited by Doc Moonlight; 04-22-05 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-21-05, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Silly lion. RIP.

-JP
Old 04-22-05, 01:46 AM

Does anyone know what a Criterion Collection is?
This is so going into my sig!
Old 04-22-05, 06:55 AM

Wow, what a bunch of complete jerks in this forum. I guess if you don't have PHD in DVD you shouldn't be asking any questions. Who knows when they are starting out in subject, what everybody else considers obvious. If this is the kind of attitude that DVD Geeks get on a simple question, the heck with them. I am glad that I have a life other than studying the exciting world of DVD Terminology. I guess if you were to ask a simple question in the Herpetologist Forum, I would laugh at your ignorance and stupidity, and maybe add your question to my signature. Other than the first post which was helpful, the rest seemed like your typical kids that need to slam dunk someone to boost their own meager self esteem. These are also the same kids that probably grew up in the DVD, and Computer age, where this comes naturally. I didn't even know how to search this forum, I tried a couple of times and my searches brought me out to a Google page instead of the forum. (You can also put that in your signature to if you want). So I guess this was my fault for coming into a Forum where you already had to know everything about DVD's, and all others are to be criticized laughed at, and forced out. I guess what I need to do now is look for a forum that doesn't mind an occasional basic questions. Thanks, I learned a lot here.
Old 04-22-05, 07:16 AM

Wow, what a bunch of complete jerks in this forum. I guess if you don't have PHD in DVD you shouldn't be asking any questions. Who knows when they are starting out in subject, what everybody else considers obvious. If this is the kind of attitude that DVD Geeks get on a simple question, the heck with them. I am glad that I have a life other than studying the exciting world of DVD Terminology. I guess if you were to ask a simple question in the Herpetologist Forum, I would laugh at your ignorance and stupidity, and maybe add your question to my signature. Other than the first post which was helpful, the rest seemed like your typical kids that need to slam dunk someone to boost their own meager self esteem. These are also the same kids that probably grew up in the DVD, and Computer age, where this comes naturally. I didn't even know how to search this forum, I tried a couple of times and my searches brought me out to a Google page instead of the forum. (You can also put that in your signature to if you want). So I guess this was my fault for coming into a Forum where you already had to know everything about DVD's, and all others are to be criticized laughed at, and forced out. I guess what I need to do now is look for a forum that doesn't mind an occasional basic questions. Thanks, I learned a lot here.
Don't

be

afraid

of

paragraphs.

They

are

the

reader's

friend.
Old 04-22-05, 07:19 AM

Oh, and incidentally, the Criterion is a nice set but the UK release is also very nice

It's on sale too at Amazon UK for £7.97 (+ shipping -tax for non-EU).
Old 04-22-05, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
I didn't even know how to search this forum, I tried a couple of times and my searches brought me out to a Google page instead of the forum.
Since it appears you're a Herpetologist, doing research should be right up your alley. I had mentioned using Google and, as a test, I typed in "criterion" and the first listing was exactly what you were looking for.

If you had mentioned in your first post that you didn't know how to search the forum, I think the reaction would've been different. You've been a member over 2 years, yet it appears you don't really read the forum, otherwise you'd know about the trolls that come in here saying "Criterion is over-priced crap", and such, just to start a fight.

Anyway, if you need some guidance on how to use the search feature of the forum, you can ask in the Feedback Forum or feel free to email me and I'd be more than happy to give you some tips that I use. There is a lot of great information buried in many threads and it's very very necessary to know how to search to make it easy on yourself.

But please check out some of the movies that Criterion offers. Borrow a friend's or rent if you're not ready to jump in and purchase. A whole new window to the DVD world might open up for you. Or you might think it's expensive elitist crap Either way, I'd really like to hear what you think about Criterion.
Old 04-22-05, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I actually agree with Skyfire on the search. It is the most hidden, difficult thing to find. I do not need a search page to Google on this forum. I know how to get to Google and how to search for it, thank you.

The "search forum" button should be very, very obvious... Hmm, time to make recommendations.
Old 04-22-05, 11:12 AM

Thanks TomOpus, and Bus, although I first signed up in here what must have been two years ago, I am just a occasional visitor, as you can tell by what I know about DVD's and this site. But I do enjoy having my favorite movies on DVD because of the quality, and the extras that come with them, and that's what originally brought me to this forum. I am not a huge DVD hobbyist, but I do enjoy the few favorites I have. Thanks ...
Old 04-22-05, 11:16 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I wonder if my university offers a Ph.D. in DVD? I should think about getting one, just so I could have that added to my username.
Old 04-23-05, 09:40 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
I have to take a friendly exception here, Filmmaker. The commentaries on the Freemantle Region 2 disc easily justify a double dip. The analysis by Peckinpah biographers Seydor, Weddle and Simmons is excellent and pointed out to me many things that I had missed on earlier viewings. The second commnetary by Peckinpah's assistant Haber has some wonderful stories. I'm glad I own both versions. (BTW, I understand that Freementle was willing to license their extras to MGM, but the lion wasn't interested.)
My references, unless specifically stated otherwise, are ALWAYS in reference to Region 1 titles exclusively. Also, I thought it obvious that when I wrote "the Criterion version is the ultimate, superior and only worthwhile version to own" the unwritten "of the two version you were inquiring about" part would be understood...

Skyfire, though I understand your anger at being treated rather unkindly by several other DVDTalkers, a simple recognition of my honest attempt to help you might have been welcomed...
Old 04-23-05, 01:27 PM

I have the Criterion version and it is great.
Old 04-23-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Filmmaker

Skyfire, though I understand your anger at being treated rather unkindly by several other DVDTalkers, a simple recognition of my honest attempt to help you might have been welcomed...

yeah, I wasn't sarcastic or anything either and was lumped in with the "jerks"
Old 07-02-06, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Resurrecting this thread, not to find out if everyone knows what a Criterion Collection DVD is, but to ask about the different run-times out there.

I own the Criterion DVD, but I ended up watching the movie for the first time on HD Net Movies last week, and I was wondering if anyone knows if the HD Net Movies version is the same as the Criterion? Also, I remember somewhere there being a list of the differences between the 117 minute version and the 113 minute version. I thought it was on IMDB or DVDRewind, but I could not find it.
Old 07-02-06, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Numes
Also, I remember somewhere there being a list of the differences between the 117 minute version and the 113 minute version. I thought it was on IMDB or DVDRewind, but I could not find it.
There could be an international cut or an edited US theatrical cut. I have no idea, just a guess.

Last edited by dvd_luver; 07-02-06 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-02-06, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From IMDB:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0067800/alternateversions

The video version was twice rejected by the British Board of Film Classification in 1999 after the distributors refused to cut forcible stripping and any signs that Susan George was "enjoying" the rape. Video versions were available in Britain before the 1984 law which required all videos to be classified. There were two such releases, one of which was uncut, and one which lost some dialogue due to print damage. As of 1st July 2002, the full version of the film has been passed uncut for video and DVD release by the BBFC.

Available in an edited 113 min R-rated version in addition to the uncut, unrated 118 min. version (that has been released by Anchor Bay Entertainment.)
When you want this sort of information on IMDB, it's on the left side of the screen as "Alternate Versions" listed under "Fun Stuff".
Old 07-02-06, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
From IMDB:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0067800/alternateversions

When you want this sort of information on IMDB, it's on the left side of the screen as "Alternate Versions" listed under "Fun Stuff".
Yes, I am quite familiar with the workings of IMDB. I said that I did check IMDB, and they did not list the specific differences from the multiple versions. Also, I'm interested if anyone knows if the one aired on HDNet Movies was the 113/117/118 minute version.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.