Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

No Shame Films (De Sicca, Fellini, Visconti, etc)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-05, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A company for which I admit I know very little about is putting two very interesting releases: De Sicca's 1964 Academy Award Winner Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow and the multi-production Boccaccio 70 starring La Dolce Vita's Anita Ekberg.
These appear to be newly remastered version and there are some good words so far...

Review:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=15362

I have not been able to find the company's web site

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 04-20-05, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Supposedly, their website address is http://www.noshamefilms.com, but they still haven’t gotten it up and running.
Old 04-20-05, 03:13 AM

not surprise - i dont think anyone knows much about noshame, as their italian discs are without english subtitles, though i posted a story or two about the label elsewhere and an italian poster said theyre the equivalent of criterion...

they have other titles coming too, 'the strange vice of mrs.wardh', 'case of the scorpions tale' from sergio martino... 'your vice is a lock and only i have the key' and a couple more too i think... some italian cop / polizie movies...
Old 04-20-05, 03:52 AM

mondo digital have a review of baccacio 70 up now (from the USA disc it seems) :

http://www.mondo-digital.com/boccaccio.html
Old 04-20-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Logboy:

Thank you for providing the link....these look like solid releases and I will be getting them. Please post more if you confirm what the rest of their catalog would be.

Regards,
Pro-B
Old 04-21-05, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

here are the covers for the other 2 upcoming Italian titles courtesy of dvddrive-in....

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/n-s/noshamepromo.htm

Pro-B
Old 04-21-05, 02:18 AM

nice arent they. slightly different from the italian covers. ive posted this dvddrivein elsewhere recently too...
Old 04-21-05, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know that one of the people heading this company used to work at 'Blue Underground' with Bill Lustig. There is a thread over at Mobius about these titles.

Last edited by dablueguy; 05-07-05 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-21-05, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

What I am a bit unsure is how is their catalog going to be structured? Classic titles, Giallo, etc?
If they are going to be releasing more classic Italian titles (or European for that matter) I will be VERY interested. And, YES, the covers look very good.

Pro-B
Old 04-21-05, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Nice! I'd like to get an e-mail address. If someone knows how to contact them that would be great. The above link links to a page that says "this domain name has been registered by one of our customers"...
Old 04-21-05, 12:27 PM

theres nothing yet. wait til the site comes up.

or contact dvddrivein... and ask them.
Old 04-21-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another "thanks" to logboy for the link to the Boccaccio 70 review. I must say that I am very disappointed to read that they didn't bother to do English subtitles for the restored Monicelli segment (How much could it have cost to hired some grad student to do the translation?) I'm glad I only pre-ordered Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow...of course, I'm even happier that I didn't get suckered into buying the horrible EPI release of the same title last year.
Old 04-22-05, 02:25 AM

theres a review here at dvdtalk.com for "yesterday, today and tomorrow"...
Old 04-22-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
They need to hire new DVD cover designers. I don't care if it's like the original art, they look awful (specifically the last two on the bottom, the first two are good).
Old 04-22-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
They need to hire new DVD cover designers. I don't care if it's like the original art, they look awful (specifically the last two on the bottom, the first two are good).
In my opinion, if you already hate the DVD covers, then you probably aren't going to be into these movies.

I think they're are great - sure beats the heck out of the typical ho-hum Hollywood ones we see every week.
Old 04-22-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Here's what the original Italian Giallo cover looks like for Strange Vice....

In fact, look at AlanYoung Pictures' catalog. They have quite the fame in Italy...

www.alanyoung.it

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 04-22-05, 05:15 PM

I've never heard of any of these titles, but I do think the covers look GREAT. If I had money, and happened to find these used, I'd probably pick them up sight unseen based on the reviews.

JiM T
Old 05-01-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RevKarl
Another "thanks" to logboy for the link to the Boccaccio 70 review. I must say that I am very disappointed to read that they didn't bother to do English subtitles for the restored Monicelli segment...
I just got an email from DVDTalk's own DVD Savant and the Monicelli episode does indeed have the option of English subtitles! I guess I'll now be adding Boccaccio 70 to my wish lists at DDD and Digital Eyes.

By the by, here's the link to Savant's review of the DVD:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=15468
Old 05-01-05, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
FYI The company website is now accessible:

http://www.noshamefilms.com/index.asp
Old 05-01-05, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

These do look interesting....I may pick up a couple of these to diversify my DVD collection.
Old 05-01-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

ohhhh....ohhh...ohhh....Look at this....Antonioni's Story of a Love Affair

This company is getting more and more sersious in my book....

Plus upcoming remastered hi-def Tinto Brass titles.... If they release the SE 2DVD set of Caligula the French did...hmmm!!!!

I will be picking ALL of the upcoming titles....

Great news,
Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 05-01-05 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-03-05, 10:48 AM
Suspended

My wish list for that company: Le Bambole (various directors, 1965) and The Girl with the Suicase (Zurlini, 1960) already available in Region 1 in dismal video-to-DVD barely legal transfers.

Last edited by baracine; 05-03-05 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-03-05, 12:03 PM
Suspended

This film is much more important, Pietro Germi's first big success (1956):

It seems all the films offered by Noshame have a kind of barely dissimulated "sexploitation" angle. In the case of The Railroad Man, could that angle be Pietro Germi himself, Italy's answer to Gary Cooper?

Last edited by baracine; 05-03-05 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-03-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by baracine
It seems all the films offered by Noshame have a kind of barely dissimulated "sexploitation" angle.
Hardly so....even the Tinto Brass title is rather innocent (Snackbar Budapest). This company has some great titles to start with....I hope to see a full upcoming catalog soon.

Pro-B
Old 05-03-05, 01:04 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Hardly so....even the Tinto Brass title is rather innocent (Snackbar Budapest). This company has some great titles to start with....I hope to see a full upcoming catalog soon.

Pro-B
Never mind Tinto Brass, when Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow and Boccaccio 70 came out, Church prelates around the world had major palpitations. I also refer you to the cover art of the other titles and the company's name. Not that there's anything wrong with s-e-x, mind you, but it is clear this company couldn't even survive in the foreign art film "business" without appealing to a certain prurient interest... or at least giving the impression it is offering some kind of "forbidden fruit". It's only good business sense. And if it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have even bothered writing them about Le Bambole and The Girl with the Suitcase.

Come to think of it, it's really hard to come up with an Italian title of the 50's and 60's that was an international success which wasn't also some kind of controversial droolfest: Bitter Rice, Nights of Cabiria, La Dolce Vita, Divorce Italian Style, Two Women... The list goes on and on...

Last edited by baracine; 05-03-05 at 01:27 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.