DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Life as we Know it -----> Aug 23rd (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/418815-life-we-know-aug-23rd.html)

critterdvd 04-16-05 12:53 PM

Life as we Know it -----> Aug 23rd

What can you do when you're up against competion like Survivor, Friends spin-off Joey, The O.C. and even Smackdown! wrestling? It's hard to break into show business against other series which draw that kind of ratings, but I guess ABC really thought Life As We Know It had a chance. Turns out they were wrong, though, and rather than just move the show to another night and give it an opportunity to breath and grow, they instead cancelled it without even airing the final two episodes of it's rookie (and now final) season. Too bad...I enjoyed it!

At least I will get to enjoy this on DVD, and all of you will get to as well! Amazon is showing this title as heading to stores on August 23rd, along with several other TV-DVD titles from Buena Vista. Life As We Know It - The Complete Series will contain all 13 episodes produced: the 11 that ran from Oct. 2004-Jan. 2005, plus the 2 unaired episodes. List price is $39.99, but Amazon is selling it for $27.99, a good bargain. For those of you not familiar with the series, you should look for fine performances all around, including those of Sean Faris, who has appeared in One Tree Hill, and Kelly Osbourne (Ozzy's daughter, also seen in the reality show The Osbournes).

Buena Vista hasn't formally announced this title yet, but stay tuned and when they do we'll bring you cover art and further details.
I really loved this show (and the book it was based on)... it was the best teen soap i've watched since "my so called life" and i can't wait to see the final two episodes.

Quack 04-16-05 02:34 PM

I enjoyed it as well, it just sucks that it was up against the competition that night, I think John Stamos' show will bomb as well.

lwhy? 04-16-05 03:00 PM

I already preordered it on Amazon along with Boy meets World Season 3.

Gizmo 04-16-05 03:19 PM

Heard of, just never watched it. I'll pick it up though.

Cameron 04-17-05 09:56 PM

13 epsisodes on a one season wonder....40 bucks....pass.

wish it was MSRP 27.99...then it could be had for twenty on new release week

Matthew Chmiel 04-17-05 09:58 PM

wish it was MSRP 27.99...then it could be had for twenty on new release week
Since the set will probably consist of three-four discs, the SRP of $39.99 seems normal.

critterdvd 04-18-05 06:18 PM

I was actually impressed with the $39.99 MSRP. Buena Vista tends to be on the expensive side of things ($49.99 for Sweet Valley High, and $59.99 for All Seasons of Felicity, including Season three which was 5 episodes shorter). I think $27.99 is a steal of this series...

uhftv 04-24-05 01:37 AM

Wasnt great but a decent show that should have been given a better chance of renewal. Based on a British novel I think that was better and alot more risque. It'd be cool to package it with that.

Caught one episode and thought it was ok. I started following it because the creators and writers were 2nd stringers from the Freaks and Geeks show. I'd put this at about the same level as Undeclared, for those who haven't seen it...

ATX 04-24-05 08:23 AM

the show was decent, at one point they had aired it marathn style on mtv a few months ago

i think it's priced reasonably considerin its only 13 eps.

Doughboy 04-29-05 12:43 AM

The specs list this as full frame.....yet it'll include 5.1 audio. Thanks, I guess, Buena Vista.

Red Dog 04-29-05 09:29 AM

I won't get the DVD but I really liked this show. I found it far more entertaining than the lackluster S2 of The O.C. ABC never gave it a chance - burying it in a no-chance timeslot and then later moving it against the already established O.C.

Geofferson 05-11-05 02:52 PM

http://www.mcnally95.com/graphics/ne...t_Complete.jpg

calhoun07 05-11-05 11:06 PM

I just might have to blind buy this one. Sounds pretty good!

lwhy? 08-18-05 12:29 PM

I already have a copy of this in my hand. The aspect ration is 1.33.1. I would assume that this is the OAR. Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound. The Bonus features are listed as The Final 2 Never Before Seen Episodes, Audio Commentaries, Life as we Blow it-Outtakes, Deleted Scenes, and Producer's Photo Gallery. There are 13 episodes on the set.

Geofferson 08-18-05 12:35 PM

Cool...looking forward to receiving my copy.

critterdvd 08-18-05 01:22 PM

what episode have commentary, and who does teh commentary? thanks!

lwhy? 08-18-05 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by critterdvd
what episode have commentary, and who does teh commentary? thanks!

I haven't opened it yet. I received a new sealed copy as part of a trade and I want to make sure my end of the trade gets there before I open it in case something happens and I have to send it back.

Jeraden 08-18-05 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I already have a copy of this in my hand. The aspect ration is 1.33.1. I would assume that this is the OAR. Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound. The Bonus features are listed as The Final 2 Never Before Seen Episodes, Audio Commentaries, Life as we Blow it-Outtakes, Deleted Scenes, and Producer's Photo Gallery. There are 13 episodes on the set.

I know it was broadcast in HD in widescreen, so not sure why the dvd would be 1.33:1

Doughboy 08-18-05 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jeraden
I know it was broadcast in HD in widescreen, so not sure why the dvd would be 1.33:1

Not only that, but a lot of the shots would be cramped in 4:3. I may pass on this one. Not just because of the aspect ratio, but also since I've already seen all 13 episodes. Those looking for closure in the last 2 unaired episodes will be very disappointed.

lwhy? 08-18-05 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jeraden

I originally saw it in full frame on both of the ABC stations that I get. I was disappointed that it was not in widescreen, but if full frame for the dvds was the creators choice then that would be the OAR for the show.

lwhy? 08-18-05 09:37 PM

I opened the set after I finalized my trade a few minutes ago. The packaging is the same as Boy Meets World Season 2. Cardboard digipac with disc 1 and 2 stacked on top of each other. Disc 3 is by itself.

On disc 1 there are commentaries on the pilot episode and "Partly Cloudly Chance of Sex".

On disc 2 there are commentaries on the episodes "Natural Disasters" and "Family Hard-ships".

On disc 3 there are commentaries on the episodes "Breaking Away", "You Must be Trippin'" and "Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Drunk".

critterdvd 08-19-05 10:53 PM

Thankx... I can't wait to get my copy from amazon.

Eddie W 08-20-05 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I originally saw it in full frame on both of the ABC stations that I get. I was disappointed that it was not in widescreen, but if full frame for the dvds was the creators choice then that would be the OAR for the show.

Not sure I'd agree with that. If it was originally created and broadcast in 1.85 for HD, this is probably just laziness on the studio's part. This show was composed really nicely for widescreen. Studios seem to be putting minimal effort into TV on DVD these days. It seems every day you hear of syndicated cuts or something like this. It's gotten so that if there's a show I'm interested in, I'll just burn downrezzed HD versions to DVD instead of taking a crap shoot that it'll be released properly. At least that way, they'll be in ws/5.1/and not edited. And much, much cheaper.

critterdvd 08-20-05 04:33 PM

Not sure I'd agree with that. If it was originally created and broadcast in 1.85 for HD, this is probably just laziness on the studio's part. This show was composed really nicely for widescreen. Studios seem to be putting minimal effort into TV on DVD these days. It seems every day you hear of syndicated cuts or something like this. It's gotten so that if there's a show I'm interested in, I'll just burn downrezzed HD versions to DVD instead of taking a crap shoot that it'll be released properly. At least that way, they'll be in ws/5.1/and not edited. And much, much cheaper.
I'm just happy that Buena Vista released this... I was actually rather shocked when i found out it was being released, with the shows history with the studio.