DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   DVD Indexing.... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/418555-dvd-indexing.html)

obi_ant 04-14-05 05:10 PM

DVD Indexing....

I remember quite a while ago there was a site that would catalog your DVDs and give you a value of your dvd collection online. Does anyone have this site? I tried looking for it but all I found are payment sites and what not.

Al Padrino 04-14-05 05:16 PM

Guzzlefish.com is probably what you're talking about. Their inability to get their act together offsets the neat features they've got, though.

obi_ant 04-14-05 05:20 PM

Just what I was looking for! Thanks!

TomOpus 04-14-05 05:46 PM

DVDProfile will let you run a report that adds up the MSRPs along with what you actually paid... as long as you entered it.

If you have a large collection, it'll freak you out -eek-

Joe Molotov 04-14-05 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
Guzzlefish.com is probably what you're talking about. Their inability to get their act together offsets the neat features they've got, though.

I noticed they finally added Mystic River to their database, so I thought maybe they'd finally gotten things fixed. Then I saw they didn't have Closer or Hotel Rwanda, and I realized they hadn't.

Tarnower 04-14-05 06:19 PM

I've read on these boards that DVD.Spot is a terrific site that features a lot of Guzzlefish's more appealing aspects. I haven't gotten around to using it yet, though. I have over 800 DVDs, and the thought of entering them all in yet another database is something that falls into the category of "procrastinate." I keep holding out hope that Guzzlefish will finally get it together, but I've been disappointed time and again. If they are a collections online site, why are they letting the "collections" segment of it go down the tubes?

Atreus 04-14-05 07:00 PM

DVDSpot is pretty good. They are updated more often than Guzzlefish and easier to use. They do show the total MSRP of your collection which is a scary thing. I still prefer DVDAF but DVDSpot does have some nice features if you like to see statistics about your collection, such as which actor/director you have the most of, genre etc, DVDAF has a much better database but the submission process at DVDSpot is very easy to use.

The Bus 04-14-05 07:11 PM

I'm sticking with dvdaf for now. I used to use Guzzlefish and DvdProfiler but Guzzlefish got worked over and DvdProfiler... Well, who needs a separate type of software, honestly?

If dvdaf neatens up their interface they could be awesome.

Scott Weinberg 04-14-05 07:25 PM

I also dig DVDSpot. I like that you can compare between the MSRP and what you actually paid for it. ;)

Shagrath 04-14-05 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
...and DvdProfiler... Well, who needs a separate type of software, honestly?

I do. :)

I really love the look and feel of DVDProfiler, and it does almost everything I want. I'd like them to someday incorporate some of the better Guzzlefish/DVDSpot features, such as finding out who the most common director, actor, etc. is in your collection, but other than that, I think it's a great piece of software and use it almost daily.

Mike Lowrey 04-14-05 07:48 PM

I've tried DVDSpot, but I think because of all its features it makes it cumbersome to add titles to your list. One of them is the purchase date. What good is that feature unless you just started collecting and/or have keep all receipts to your purchases over the years?

I've just been sticking with DVDAf because of the easy interface and personal folder ability. I like to catalog my collection by genre and by movie franchise, so to keep all the movies within a genre or franchise together instead of all spread out alphabetically.

kitkat 04-15-05 12:24 AM

Another fan of DVDSpot here. I like the site overall a lot, but my favorite feature is that it lets me track my viewing habits, including rentals, which I find very interesting.