Reload this Page >

www.horrordvds.com has no respect

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 04-14-05, 02:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the none of the moderators or the site master Dave will respond to e-mails, nor have the courtsey to post "no new memberships" on their webiste, I feel it is my duty to make this announcement myself. 3 weeks ago I registered there, and my account had to be "activated by a moderator" even after signing up. I waited...and waited...an waited...nothing. 5 days ago I signed up again...an waited. Nothing. I mean that's a lack of respect.

The webmaster can't say he hasn't gotten around to it yet either. I see him running around here posting stuff about He-Man cartoons(2 days ago), yet he hasn't checked his website e-mail in 3 weeks? Cmon. Sorry to rant but this kind of thing really annoys me to no end. Note to horrordvds.com and webmaster Dave: If youre going to set up a system of having to "investigate" every new account, do it within a weeks time. After that people will give up and leave for good. And if youre not accepting new accounts (Yahoo, hotmail accounts are banned, so this might be a possibility), write a little note on your webpage. It isnt hard, takes about the same amount of time as it would when you post here about how Skelator is your favorite animated action hero.

Once again, sorry, but it irritates me when people are ignored. Please horrordvds.com, show some respect to horror fans. Absolute lac of respect.
Old 04-14-05, 02:38 PM
Banned

I tried registering there not to long ago and it never took. Thought something was up. Well, I still love their reviews.
Old 04-14-05, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by MisterQ
Since the none of the moderators or the site master Dave will respond to e-mails, nor have the courtsey to post "no new memberships" on their webiste, I feel it is my duty to make this announcement myself. 3 weeks ago I registered there, and my account had to be "activated by a moderator" even after signing up. I waited...and waited...an waited...nothing. 5 days ago I signed up again...an waited. Nothing. I mean that's a lack of respect.

The webmaster can't say he hasn't gotten around to it yet either. I see him running around here posting stuff about He-Man cartoons(2 days ago), yet he hasn't checked his website e-mail in 3 weeks? Cmon. Sorry to rant but this kind of thing really annoys me to no end. Note to horrordvds.com and webmaster Dave: If youre going to set up a system of having to "investigate" every new account, do it within a weeks time. After that people will give up and leave for good. And if youre not accepting new accounts (Yahoo, hotmail accounts are banned, so this might be a possibility), write a little note on your webpage. It isnt hard, takes about the same amount of time as it would when you post here about how Skelator is your favorite animated action hero.

Once again, sorry, but it irritates me when people are ignored. Please horrordvds.com, show some respect to horror fans. Absolute lac of respect.
Doh! Heh - This post is a riot. I will fix it. Actually, we used to have a note about how web mail accounts weren't accepted, but it was removed when I upgraded the forum. I will look into this RIGHT AWAY! But you can still browse most of the forum w/o an account.
Old 04-14-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

www.horrordvds.com RULES!!!

demonio aka DEMON!
Old 04-14-05, 04:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dave Anderson
Doh! Heh - This post is a riot. I will fix it. Actually, we used to have a note about how web mail accounts weren't accepted, but it was removed when I upgraded the forum. I will look into this RIGHT AWAY! But you can still browse most of the forum w/o an account.
So do you have to "manually" activate new accounts, or is this just a glitch? I like to be involved in the threads, reading something and wanting to respond when I cant, just annoys me. So far, my account still doesnt work, its still "awaiting" moderator activation. Cant you just do away with that, its really annoying and basically serves no purpose. Theres no way to judge an account until the person actually starts posting. If some idiot decides to spam your board then ban them afterwards. I think making people wait for their accounts to be activated is stupid, especially since youre already banning web mail addresses. I just dont see the point.
Old 04-14-05, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by MisterQ
So do you have to "manually" activate new accounts, or is this just a glitch? I like to be involved in the threads, reading something and wanting to respond when I cant, just annoys me. So far, my account still doesnt work, its still "awaiting" moderator activation. Cant you just do away with that, its really annoying and basically serves no purpose. Theres no way to judge an account until the person actually starts posting. If some idiot decides to spam your board then ban them afterwards. I think making people wait for their accounts to be activated is stupid, especially since youre already banning web mail addresses. I just dont see the point.
The point is to NOT allow any web mail accounts into the forum. I can't put EVERY web mail domain under the banned domain list, right? There's too many of them. I can cover the popular ones, but something like [email protected] will still slip through. This is why we do manual activation - I deny the web mail accounts. It also helps with people who DO get banned. Most will try to sign up with another email addresses to get back in and get the last word in. Having a waiting period sort of serves as a cooling off period as well. By the time someone gets back in, assuming they do - i.e. aren't using web mail - they'll probably forget what they were so upset about.

It works. We have very few people causing problems on the forum. Of course, by being so strict we lost potential posters, but the tradeoff is worth it. Everyone that is there is extremely happy with the forum and the group of people on it. Better to have 1000 good posters than 5000 crappy ones, imo.
Old 04-14-05, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MisterQ sure is bitter about this whole thing. I think, just because, you should keep his account banned.
Old 04-14-05, 05:44 PM
Suspended

Who gives a shit.
Old 04-14-05, 05:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
and this is posted here because???Gas
Old 04-14-05, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
... because the thread in Other got closed. I'm hoping for a conclusion thread in Book Talk.
Old 04-14-05, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
... because the thread in Other got closed. I'm hoping for a conclusion thread in Book Talk.
I don't know, I'm leaning more towards DVD Bargains.