Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Will there be a new Ghostbusters: SE? (merged)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Will there be a new Ghostbusters: SE? (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-05, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ghostbusters SE DVD, Will It Happen???

hi,

the ghostbusters dvd is still widely available here in the UK but i've been holding back for a decent release.... any word on a new version????

thanks!
Old 04-11-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The current R1 release is pretty much a SE.
Old 04-11-05, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's also out of print. There were rumors and/or confirmation of a new version though, weren't there?

K
Old 04-11-05, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm pretty sure there was an ad in some Columbia dvd I got that said S.E. coming soon. I don't think I dreamed this.
Old 04-11-05, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember getting this from reel.com ..I was so excited when I finally got it ..lol..there was some fiasco with it (I think they were backordered ..or something..)..those were the times..
Old 04-12-05, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
It's out of print!?!?

I can still find it no problem. Odd. Maybe that's just around here though
Old 04-12-05, 01:52 AM
Suspended

I would prob DD on a SE if it had the right goodies on it and a kick ass audio track, I am pretty happy with my current release though, we will see. Still need to pick up GB2 even though its not that great, still a fan of the franchise.
Old 04-12-05, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Still has one of my favorite commentaries of any DVD that I have listened to. Love the MST3K style even though it doesn't allow for anamorphic when you turn that option on.
Old 04-12-05, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Will there be a new Ghostbusters: SE?

I thought there was supposed to be a Ghostbusters: 20th Anniversary SE (or something like that) last year in place of the older 15th Anniversary release (that I have), with possibly a new transfer (and maybe extras, I don't know)

Is it still on the radar or has it disappeared?
Old 04-12-05, 05:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by grim_tales
I thought there was supposed to be a Ghostbusters: 20th Anniversary SE (or something like that) last year in place of the older 15th Anniversary release (that I have), with possibly a new transfer (and maybe extras, I don't know)

Is it still on the radar or has it disappeared?
Yes, it's still on the radar, if you have DVD Aficionado, type in Ghostbusters in the search and it will show Ghostbusters Special Edition
Old 04-12-05, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks but I don't have Afficianado, I have Profiler though.
Wonder when it'll be released then? Maybe this year for a 21st Anniversary?
Old 04-12-05, 06:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by grim_tales
Thanks but I don't have Afficianado, I have Profiler though.
Wonder when it'll be released then? Maybe this year for a 21st Anniversary?
Yeah, it should be this year for the 20th Anniversary, I do have the orignal DVD which is nice but I'm probably selling it to get the 20th Anniversary like I always do for Anniversarys and Special Editions
Old 04-12-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker
Yeah, it should be this year for the 20th Anniversary, I do have the orignal DVD which is nice but I'm probably selling it to get the 20th Anniversary like I always do for Anniversarys and Special Editions
Ghostbusters came out in '84. The new DVD was rumored for early 2005, but it hasn't been officially scheduled yet and we're already into summer announcements.

Last edited by BJacks; 04-12-05 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-13-05, 10:12 PM
Cool New Member

Hi everybody! Im new but i read these boards for a LONG time. I know a few things about the Gbs SE and heres what i know. Its still coming out and Sony will announce it soon. There was a slight hold up but its in the final stages now so like i said Sony will make announment soon. Rumor also has it Gb2 will get the SE treatment as well.
Old 04-13-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It would be brilliant if Ghostbusters II gets a SE. It is a far inferior film, but I certainly wouldn't mind the double dip.

I hope that the first film gets the additional deleted scene left off the previous DVD.
Old 04-14-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey Ecto Freak...nice to meet you, welcome to the forum....what is your source.
Old 04-14-05, 12:33 AM

Well if they do come out with a special edition it most likely will be a Superbit release. There already are Japanese Superbit releases of Ghostbusters 1 & 2 for anyone who doesn't want to wait for a new R1 version.
Old 04-14-05, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by pilot
I remember getting this from reel.com ..I was so excited when I finally got it ..lol..there was some fiasco with it (I think they were backordered ..or something..)..those were the times..
Yeah, I was furious when I didn't get this and the first Kubrick box set BEFORE the release date from them. Those really were the times... dirt cheap dvds you always got a day early.
Old 04-14-05, 08:29 AM
Cool New Member

My source is the guy in charge of the new Gbs comics that been out for the last yr and half. His a really nice guy and knows a lot of stuff, he tells me it be out before christmas but the dvd announment should be soon. He wont tell me whats going to be on b/c i dont want to know. I want to be surprise like the rest of the world.
Old 04-14-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I wouldn't mind double-dipping on an SE of this movie.
Old 04-14-05, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The current release of Ghostbusters II is definitely lackluster, but I figured that was probably about as good as it was ever going to get. Okay movie, but tongue was planted much too deeply in cheek. I consider the consumer fortunate when the least they do is present such a movie in its OAR with anamorphic enhancement. Add the theatrical trailer, and we have a fine package. What more can you expect?

Only problem I notice with the Ghostbusters II DVD is with the audio. Music and sound effects are fine, but the dialog is badly "underpowered."

What more could they do with a special edition of the original? I'm certainly not opposed to it, but the one that's out now has plenty of good extras, including a great commentary. (Love when Harold Ramis talks about how Egon is always the one chopped out of the picture when the movie is panned and scanned for TV.) I don't know; when there's already a special edition of a movie (Ghostbusters is a "Special Collector's Series" DVD, which makes it enough of a special edition in my book), the double-dip feels a little unnecessary.

That said, if they want to re-release both movies as "Special Editions"--two-disc would be great, at least for the first--with new content worthy of the double-dip, I'll happily hand over the plastic for them.

--THX
Old 04-15-05, 09:24 AM
Cool New Member

Im a big big fan boy of the Gbs franshice so i know what us fans want on the dvds. For Gb1 most of us want a commentary by Dan; and maybe another with Bill, Harold, Dan, and Ernie. We also want all the deleted scenes, including the fort scene and a cop giving Ecto-1 a ticket. For Gb2 we want Sony to go all out like they did with the first release of Gbs. With deleted scenes, commentary, and a few other stuff. Some fans want a director cut where they put back in all the delete scenes.

Oh wanna know how big a fan i am check out my website
www.geocities.com/ectomobiles feel free to tell me what you think by posting something in my guestbook.
Old 04-15-05, 11:07 AM

I'm happy enough with the Jap Superbit release.
Old 04-15-05, 01:00 PM

Hey Ectofreak, I think you can tell that I'm a huge GB fan too. Also RGB. I would give...I don't know what...to see RGB on DVD (only the Lorenzo Music years). Any info?
Old 04-15-05, 02:27 PM
Cool New Member

No info on RGb DVDs but if you live in the UK Sony release some cartoons on DVD.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.