Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Never thought itd happen to me Accidentally bought fullscreen

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Never thought itd happen to me Accidentally bought fullscreen

Old 04-12-05, 06:15 PM

Exchanged it today. I was simply truthful and told them I picked up the wrong copy and needed to exchange it for widescreen. Didn't seem to phase 'em at all. I was in and out fairly quickly.
Old 04-12-05, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That is good,I have been lucky enough that it has not happened to me yet.

Though I had a close call a few weeks back with Schindlers List. It was on sale at Best Buy for only $9. So I grabbed a copy and contemplated picking it up(might as well at that price). Then it dawned on me and I checked the back of the box. It was not the widescreen version...and the sticker that usually indicated which was wihch on the cover was on none of the copies they had. They only had P&S left,so I put it back and left empty handed.

Meanwhile I did knowingly purchase a non-OAR dvd a few months ago,but it was not available in WS at all.

It was Innocent Blood for only $5. I love the film and it looks like a rerelease is not going to happen. So I decided to pick it up. On the plus side,it's open matte with slight cropping on the sides. If it were a P&S transfer of a 2:35 films,then I would not have bothered purchashing it at all.

...besides,who can resist the lovely Anne Parillaud?
Old 04-12-05, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

actually, I do remember one incident similar to this.

I got the Scarface GiftSet Box. I didn't watch the movie till about a year later. When I opened it, the scarface didn't have the title sticker or any security stickers. The Slipcover said widescreen on it so I thought all was well. When I pulled out the DVD and looked at the back of the box, it said "formatted to fit your TV."

It turns out that the fullscreen version of the movie (in the fullscreen case) was in the widescreen version of the slipcover.

Luckily, the store let me exchange it even though it was a year later.
Old 04-13-05, 08:21 AM

When I went back yesterday to exchange, I noticed that all the fullscreen copies were stacked face-front, while all of the widescreen copies were shelved with only the spines visible. There is no excuse for not checking the packaging, but it would seem that I grabbed the fullscreen because it was the version that was face-front on the shelf.

In a little fit of spite, I reversed their widescreen and fullscreen copies on the shelf, so now the widescreen copies are face-front.

Old 04-13-05, 09:01 AM

Happened to me yesterday. I went to target to pick up Suspect Zero and grabbed the FS vs. It wasn't until I got home that I recognized my mistake.
Old 04-13-05, 12:13 PM

I did this once and accidentally got the fullscreen version of "Along Came Polly." I felt like a jerk. However, it was very easy to exchange it at the store, so I doubt you will have any problems.
Old 04-13-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by onebyone
I doubt you will have any problems.
As proven by the fact that he didn't...

K
Old 04-13-05, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cornelius1047
As proven by the fact that he didn't...

K
Bwhahaha. Umm yeah, I guess I blew that one.

So the lessons are 1. always triple check to be sure you have widescreen and 2. read the last page in a thread. Otherwise, you will feel like a dumb ass.

Last edited by onebyone; 04-13-05 at 04:17 PM.